Sign in to follow this  
Malcore

The Lack of PVE love in this game is in a very Sad state!

As far as more "rare drops" I'm not so sure about, but I'm sure everyone would love better mob AI.  Say maybe something as small as a pack of wolves that remain together and share the same aggro (can't split them up).  This shared aggro feature could also be used for mobs like trolls guarding a troll mound.  Some of these special group spawns might prove to be too difficult for the average 70fs player and would encourage fun neighborly teamwork on PvE.

It's really because this is not a theme park game.  The usual run around and hack-n-slash is just not what Wurm Online is about.

This! Wurm is a lot more than just killing mobs and getting loot. To the OP: I suggest you try to find out about all the other interesting aspects of this game - there is so much more!

• Like 1

...they could add kill quests for x amount of troll teeth...

Confirmed troll

This! Wurm is a lot more than just killing mobs and getting loot. To the OP: I suggest you try to find out about all the other interesting aspects of this game - there is so much more!

to this and to the post you replied to, I'd like to mention that all the features that Malcore, Bunnyman and Billingsley asked for existed before there even WERE any of those god forsaken theme park MMORPGs. Those only started to kick off with EQ2 and WoW (espeacially WoW). There were loads of good PvE content ( killing mobs ) like EQ1 and DaoC (or even UO for that matter).

I actually started playing Wurm because i wanted to get away from those theme park MMOs, back to sandbox MMOs, to a game where crafts actually matter.....but yet it still wouldnt hurt Wurm online anything at all to have some more features (like the ones mentioned above) when it comes to fighting mobs. Unless you're living on southern Xanadu you will run into so many mobs anyway....you couldnt get away from fighting even if you wanted (which was what i actually hoped for when i started playing on Deli a couple of years ago). But as youve got to fight mobs anyway, it could at least be a bit more interesting and versatile.

obviously trolling,but of course if 2 more trolls open similar topics we will end up with even more agros in pve servers like we always do anytime some pvpers complains about how they cant kill enough on pve servers,and screw everybody else.

• Like 1

The Topic title says it all! Needs better spawns and faster spawns! Needs more reasons to kill creatures other then meat and hides! Please look into this. I love combat but this game there is no need to really hunt!

thanks

If on old server perhaps.

If talking about Xanadu, leave it as is. I've gotten used to how safe it has become. And once you know the dynamics of its wildlife, it works.

Xanadu animals love the northern lands. Join an alliance, get them to build a hunting deed as a base up north, go there to grind hunting skills and bulk up on animal products, then go home. If looking for constant adventure, become the lodge caretaker or just redeed way up north.

I was like you until I seen the pics. Now I love how it is, just a short trip for a busy hunting trip, enough to hunt with SB turned on and not be wasteful. :)

And speaking of PvE love, would be nice if we weren't subject to PvP code anymore.

My favorite sample:  Taming

"Imagine someone with two hell hounds jumping into the fight and beating everyone up!!!1111oneoneonezomg".  That's nice, I don't care, that's PvP's problem.  Also, I may be missing a detail or two but here's my guess at what happened:

-  Guy levels taming, takes champ croc into fight.

-  A couple of people get killed by him and his crocs.

-  Leveling taming is "veeewy diiifficuuuult" so said couple of people irc/email/pm rolf with "nurf pl0000000x!!!"

-  Taming's nerfed, thus PvE's taming is nerfed.

-  The "nurf pl0x" kids celebrate by going on forums, finding a thread about more unique stuff on PvE, and shouting that PvE shouldn't get unique stuff because no effort is done on PvE and all the effort is done on PvP.

Meanwhile 2 kinds of decorative fluff are added:  New stuff for everyone, and new stuff on PvP that has no use to them other than selling to PvE to fund their kingdoms.  Way to ALSO focus the art resources equally among parts of the playerbase, specially in benefit of the 20% of the playerbase.

By and by, PvE players can't post on PvP forums, but PvP'ers can post on ALL threads and generally troll any suggestion that doesn't benefit PvP or challenges the "cool stuff monopoly", that is when not trolling threads where freedomers have a legit problem that needs dealing with, for example Xanadu lag threads.

Inb4 some smarmy PvP'er saying "you got bridges!!!" .... yeah yeah yeah that would be a valid comeback if pvp hadn't gotten them and that'll be the day.

• Like 1

I miss the capability of making my own island rock-bed with concrete.

Funny how this is a thread about pve but the first person to post is a pvper. Hah.

Funny how this is a thread about reducing pvp attention and the guy suggesting it is a pver. Hah

Meanwhile 2 kinds of decorative fluff are added:  New stuff for everyone, and new stuff on PvP that has no use to them other than selling to PvE to fund their kingdoms.  Way to ALSO focus the art resources equally among parts of the playerbase, specially in benefit of the 20% of the playerbase.

Aside from models, which PvE can enjoy as well, the art assets are created by the PMKs themselves. The textures, I mean. So... what?

I'm also still so disappointed that so many people seem to think there's a 300-slope-deep trench between PvP players and PvE players. There really isn't. Plenty of players choose to do both, they sail between on Freedom or go between Epic. Every time I see someone discount another player's opinion because they happen to associate or actively play PvP, I just feel rather disappointed. Views like that are the rot that kills this community. YOU are the ones causing the divide.

You also fail to see that a lot of the same exploits that wind up as "nerfs" can also be exploited on the PvE side of things. Not all, but a fair amount. Should taming really be easier? Should you be able to just run around and tame a bunch of critters and completely dominate everything? No, it should be something earned, just like nearly everything else in Wurm.

Missions provide a rather nice "Kill X creatures" - so why don't we stay with that? Karma is poorly understood by most on the PvE side of things, simply because the powers you gain are less useful there I think. Though I think teleporting to your village and summoning your corpse should be rather useful indeed, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So why don't we start there, with a few more useful ways to spend karma. There's also the sleep bonus gained, which should be rather obvious.

Then there's this: Why shouldn't the byproducts of creatures be the sole reason to spur you to hunt? How does that fail to fit in with the rest of the game's mechanics? Do you chop down trees for any other reason but to gain wood or gain skill in wood-related skills? All of those weird body parts are also another fine reason to do it - Alchemy. You can do quite a bit with Natural Substances, like make dye, concrete, and lye. All of those bladders and paws, while disgusting, can help you gain skill in that area as well. Finally, you don't feel that the random chance of a drum roll that could give you in the upwards of a silver is enough motivation to lay waste to any creature you happen upon? Not to mention all of the skills gained when fighting, in a game where your skill levels basically determine your actual level.

So you see, from someone who likes PvE and PvP, I present you with plenty of reasons to hunt. We don't need rails in Wurm.

• Like 2

Aside from models, which PvE can enjoy as well, the art assets are created by the PMKs themselves. The textures, I mean. So... what?

We've offered to pay CodeClub for some customization, bunch of different modalities, threads which are usually shouted down, trolled, and ultimately derailed by guess which segment of the Wurm population? =)

Should taming really be easier? Should you be able to just run around and tame a bunch of critters and completely dominate everything? No, it should be something earned, just like nearly everything else in Wurm.

Look at my goddamn titles.

Yet if I wanna breed two wolves can't tame them both, need to feed it an alt, find a Fo, or risk losing one.  Extrapolate that to breeding hell hounds.

If I wanna wean the pup from its mother, tricky as hell as you can't lead while in combat and they'll be tearing the crap out of each other.  Because "Imagine people with 2 hell hounds on PvP!!!".  Geez, in other games PvP'ers would be begging for that feature to have 6v6 fights turn into 18v18 once you factor the tames/summons.

"No, it should be earned."   EXACTLY, I earned it, but have it nerfed because it's "toooo haaaaaard" for guess who....... 

Edited by Mordraug

They tried to make pve more interesting when Valrei missions were started, by sending the pve servers nogumps, drakespirits, etc. just like they were on the pvp servers.  People screamed bloody murder because the noobs could not handle it, and it got nerfed to nothing.  I am all for bringing those back, but expect more crying if that happens.

As to the combat system, it is very clunky, but I have the feeling it will be a very long time before any major changes happen there.  PVP would start complaining about balances.

We've offered to pay CodeClub for some customization, bunch of different modalities, threads which are usually shouted down, trolled, and ultimately derailed by guess which segment of the Wurm population? =)

Look at my goddamn titles.

Yet if I wanna breed two wolves can't tame them both, need to feed it an alt, find a Fo, or risk losing one.  Extrapolate that to breeding hell hounds.

If I wanna wean the pup from its mother, tricky as hell as you can't lead while in combat and they'll be tearing the crap out of each other.  Because "Imagine people with 2 hell hounds on PvP!!!".  Geez, in other games PvP'ers would be begging for that feature to have 6v6 fights turn into 18v18 once you factor the tames/summons.

"No, it should be earned."   EXACTLY, I earned it, but have it nerfed because it's "toooo haaaaaard" for guess who....... 

I'd actually love to talk more about this. I feel that there are some disillusions and trauma from old decisions that keep causing PVE players to shun and hate those of us who enjoy PVP. I've been told to pretty much pack up my deed and leave before, simply because I mentioned that I also play on Chaos. Alas though, we have derailed a perfectly valid thread about adding to the PVE game play. If you make a post or PM me, I'd be glad to continue the conversation.

Arguments between pve and pvp aside, I would enjoy having the spawn rates increased. Though, there has been impacts on the hardware performance in the past, hence things like the population limits per server.

That said... limits to player breeding should stay in effect. It has, is, and can get way out of control, impacting the server load.

• Like 1

There is a lot of PvE on all Wurm servers. To take part in it one only needs a shovel.

That is the true meaning of player vs. environment. :)

There is a lot of PvE on all Wurm servers. To take part in it one only needs a shovel.

That is the true meaning of player vs. environment. :)

As someone with 99+ digging, I have to disagree. Player vs environment to me means that the environment fights back or attempts to resist the player. There is no such thing when using a shovel. The environment doesn't try to undo your work, nor does it actively try to stop you from digging. Thus there is no actual competition between the player and the environment, thus the versus part hardly applies to the shovel. That's why I personally don't include most of Wurm's sandbox/construction content under the PvE banner. PvE to me is fighting off wildlife and generally surviving what the environment throws at you. Unfortunatly in Wurm, the environment throws very little at you and is very easily resisted (a couple of walls/buildings does the trick, even hunger and thirst are no threats) and most creatures can be handled solo. I'd love more small group content that one player couldn't handle alone.

• Like 1

Ok, I am going to expose my ignorance (or terrible memory).

The game I would assume you are referring to, I don't remember seeing bison in... can you give me a hint which you are not referring to? Hehehe

Edited by Kyleshandra

In my dream also the food spoilage could be extended to fsb's and accelerated outside of it, so you need to prepare to the long winter early on.

I just want to clarify something here.  There is decay in fsbs, but not the same as normal decay.  Instead of everything gradually going bad, you lose 5% of the stock every 30 days.  And this was asked for, because decay was making us spend too much time keeping stocks to eat.  Rolf does not have a gentle hand when it comes to normal decay.