Sign in to follow this  
Borgir

Annoying people

Somebody just built 3 layers (seriously wth?) of gatehouses (and fences) around the mine entrance near my place. The mine is connected with the Withimund canal that connects the Inner Sea with my place. We plan to enhance the canal in the near future.

All I want to know is why you (whoever it was) did that? WHY? Give me one rational reason, please.

Le sigh...

I really think its time to rework the tracking system in this game.

20 skill for 24 REAL LIFE hours

40 for 48

its a useless skill now and it would be great to find out such things with a good skill

• Like 17

Good point. I've found only tracks of an old pig... irony :)

• Like 4

Agree, let us track every single thing, for always. Why not? Who is being protected and why?

• Like 2

Destruction is the very last option.

I've always tried to play nice and fair so far (if I was going to build something like this I'd definitely ask the ppl living nearby first).

And I still hope there's a rational reason behind all this...

Meh just knock it down, diplomacy on their level.

AFAIK, houses on Freedom islands cannot be bashed down anyway.

its a useless skill now and it would be great to find out such things with a good skill

it is not useless, you just need to grind it like the rest of the skills.

however, you can bash the fences, put a deed token and bash the gatehouse as well.

Edited by bangzuvelis

however, you can bash the fences, put a deed token and bash the gatehouse as well.

what do you mean? I don't think it's possible to deed over houses (if you don't own the writs)

Please explain how tracking is less broken at higher skill? What the server remembers and how long is rather random, and you seem to get more info from tiles further away the higher your skill - making it even less precise.

You can't bash gatehouses on Freedom or deed over them if you don't own them. Period.

You can however put the gatehouses in the perimeter of a deed so that they decay faster.

• Like 4

A bit late to this party... but I have been away for a while.

The world, in real life, is about 90% filled with these kind of people. You will find various reasons they behave this way, but it is mostly insecurity and immaturity.

Wurm GM's need to understand that the system functions as in real life, and thus, needs to be treated as such.

The magic about the true sandbox nature of Wurm is that people can do this, we need to celebrate that we can do it... it's great...

BUT... in real life you can also park your car in front of someone garage, and leave it there.

So, GM's, work with us, to resolve these things in the same way we'd resolve the car problem

Player finds gate house, player feels it's not in good spirit, not legal, unfair (or whatever the case)... player reports it to a GM.

A GM then UNDERSTANDS the problem, makes a decision, and the reacts.

The traffic police would tow the car from my garage. The GM should also decide what's right based on his knowledge and power, and act on it...

Simple as that. Call the right people. Ask for help.

• Like 1

A bit late to this party... but I have been away for a while.

The world, in real life, is about 90% filled with these kind of people. You will find various reasons they behave this way, but it is mostly insecurity and immaturity.

Wurm GM's need to understand that the system functions as in real life, and thus, needs to be treated as such.

The magic about the true sandbox nature of Wurm is that people can do this, we need to celebrate that we can do it... it's great...

BUT... in real life you can also park your car in front of someone garage, and leave it there.

So, GM's, work with us, to resolve these things in the same way we'd resolve the car problem

Player finds gate house, player feels it's not in good spirit, not legal, unfair (or whatever the case)... player reports it to a GM.

A GM then UNDERSTANDS the problem, makes a decision, and the reacts.

The traffic police would tow the car from my garage. The GM should also decide what's right based on his knowledge and power, and act on it...

Simple as that. Call the right people. Ask for help.

Now if only this was a reality in wurm. GM's do work hard and efficiently - can't argue with that - but there are times where ruletwisters get the upperhand - and that's where I feel like the GM's can do better at: going with the person that's actually right, rather than someone who twists rules to get their way.

• Like 3

Ek stem saam TheFlash.

I also know it's hard for a minimum number of people to get everywhere (being a south african, you know our police, we have only a few good guys left, and they are hard to get to).

We must understand the GM's are limited in numbers, have limited time and have to make tough decisions (a lot of players are cry babies, we have seen this in the forums for years). But everyone has the right to be happy, and a simple investigation, and explanation would sort that out

"Yes, We will deal with the ruletwister... thank you for reporting"

or

"No, he is not being nice, but he is not breaking any rules, and we can't intervene without affecting the play and experience of all"

My post meant:

let's start, by reporting things we think are really wrong, to the GM's and let them police it. If they don't, report it again, find another GM, or question the one that isn't performin as you thought he should have, and get a good reason. Be openminded. Sometimes people twist the rules unknowingly or for a good reason (like the guy who got disconnected and left his cart in the middle of my settlement).

See in the land of wurm!

• Like 1

Can you post screen shots? Also 48 tracking here if needed of you notice anything added in thr furture to whatever you talking about.

tracking is 100% useless, it works poorly, skill doesnt change that.

the nature of sandbox play means a lot of moderation ruins the experience, but we also dont want obvious griefing. The issue is identifying the intent behind actions, rather than looking at just the actions themselves

• Like 1

Totally. Celebrate the fact that it can happen, but identify the griefing instances thereof.

Maybe we should drive a bit of a motion to improve the way tracking works, as this would be a great tool not only for this case, but also tracking animals or players (as your skill gets higher). Opens up a whole new concept of finding people :)

The issue is identifying the intent behind actions, rather than looking at just the actions themselves

Exactly. All I wanted to know is "why".

Anyways, it doesn't matter anymore. I'm taking (yet another) break from Wurm. Can't enjoy the game much anymore.

Hope to see you back soon. Im loving it! Don't disparage others ;)

The issue is identifying the intent behind actions, rather than looking at just the actions themselves

This is the same thing, basically, that I had said in another matter.  Griefing isn't about which actions you take that follow or disobey the rules, it is about the intent behind those actions.  Players are perfectly capable of griefing others while tip-toeing the rules because it's not the specific action that matters, but the intent behind them.  Such people always wonder why they get in trouble when they were doing everything "by the book," but an investigation shows otherwise that their intent was harmful.

My advice to those inclined to grief others:  grow up and move on, it isn't worth it.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 2

I'm REALLY excited to hear what you have to say on this topic: I might be tempted to raise my Tracking if you have some firm evidence that it gets good at higher levels...

• Like 3

I'm REALLY excited to hear what you have to say on this topic: I might be tempted to raise my Tracking if you have some firm evidence that it gets good at higher levels...

If there is evidence it gets good: Nerf Berris! Totally OP

• Like 2

My experience with Tracking: Tracking skill 33.33, has never once been helpful to me.

Well i tested my tracking with an alt, and was able to pick up tracks after 3 days 6 hours 21 mins (real life time) but my message in game stayed the same (3 days)

I had my alt circle an area and then get on horse abd rode away stayed away the entire test time. Iv tested this in different areas...

i also tested this with alliance members as well. My tracking is amazing. Not sure since my avatar was made in 2008 if this makes a difference.

I only say this because my alt can't track anything after a few hours lol

my other toon with just as good tracking 42.78 can only pick up tracks after testing off main toons tracks

only after 5 hours 13 mins 48 seconds firm...( real life time)

almost 2 days the game time rounds it up ( three days ago )

She was made in 2014, tracking is a bust on any new toon but my main character can track

I think mind logic and other characteristics have a play in tracking or my old avatar waa grandfathered in old tracking vs new tracking? Not sure I tested this with no interference of re tracing new tracka I kept both toona away etc.

• Like 2