Sign in to follow this  
Jukken

New Maul looks are great - new Huge axe look aweful

Opinions and belly buttons, everyone has one.

Axe and maul both look fine. The majority of you have never even used an axe so what do you know? My axe is old and ugly and it's a thing of beauty because it is old and ugly. The shaft is about the same as the model everyone hates and has never broken. If you look at pictures of battle axes you'll see the shaft is just fine. The axe Devily shows looks like it belongs on a wall above a fire place, not in a battle.

Good job on the art work guys. You stuck with a Nordic looking axe and it works.

And the maul does not look like it should be ontop of a fire place? The axe looks like they dind met deadline. :)

• Like 1

Opinions and belly buttons, everyone has one. 

Axe and maul both look fine. The majority of you have never even used an axe so what do you know? My axe is old and ugly and it's a thing of beauty because it is old and ugly. The shaft is about the same as the model everyone hates and has never broken. If you look at pictures of battle axes you'll see the shaft is just fine. The axe Devily shows looks like it belongs on a wall above a fire place, not in a battle. 

Good job on the art work guys. You stuck with a Nordic looking axe and it works. 

Have you ever used an actual battle-axe as opposed to  the common log splitting axe? Not many of us have. Have you ever used an actual war-maul as opposed to a sledge hammer? Doubt that aswell. These examples function completely differently than how their common tool counterparts are normally handled. Single handed battle axes were never double-bladed, and the blade on the dane axes were never as big as the Wurm counterpart makes them out to be.

That said, our experiences with axes have nothing to do with how visually bland the models themselves are. Hell, actual real-life axe combat is completely different as to how Wurm treats it. It'd be safe to assume that Rolf and the rest of the devs have probably never swung an axe, just because they have very little knowledge of real axe combat doesn't mean their implementations are more or less wrong than your opinion or mine.

Experience has nothing to do with how aesthetically pleasing or visually bland something is.

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 1

old models were better, its nice that author wants all own graphic, but should be fit on age. maul look like from 20th century and axe like -20th century

Edited by ftoz

agree, there should be different models for rare,sup, fan. hammer fit for fantastic, axe fit for normal and old axe for rare. but not so drastic changes, only more decorations

Edited by ftoz
  • Like 1

Have you ever used an actual battle-axe as opposed to  the common log splitting axe? Not many of us have. Have you ever used an actual war-maul as opposed to a sledge hammer? Doubt that aswell. These examples function completely differently than how their common tool counterparts are normally handled. Single handed battle axes were never double-bladed, and the blade on the dane axes were never as big as the Wurm counterpart makes them out to be.

That said, our experiences with axes have nothing to do with how visually bland the models themselves are. Hell, actual real-life axe combat is completely different as to how Wurm treats it. It'd be safe to assume that Rolf and the rest of the devs have probably never swung an axe, just because they have very little knowledge of real axe combat doesn't mean their implementations are more or less wrong than your opinion or mine.

Experience has nothing to do with how aesthetically pleasing or visually bland something is.

Your ignorance is showing. Visually bland is exactly the look of most axes made for battle. Only the most exotic had ornamentation. As for a 'maul' or war hammer:

Maul

The maul is a long-handled hammer with a heavy metal head, either of lead or iron. Similar in appearance and function to a modern sledgehammer, it is sometimes shown as having a spear-like spike on the fore-end of the haft.

Your ignorance is showing. Visually bland is exactly the look of most axes made for battle. Only the most exotic had ornamentation. As for a 'maul' or war hammer:

Maul

The maul is a long-handled hammer with a heavy metal head, either of lead or iron. Similar in appearance and function to a modern sledgehammer, it is sometimes shown as having a spear-like spike on the fore-end of the haft.

And we can't have the same ornamentation that the mauls have because..?

And yes I'm perfectly aware of what a maul is, of which you seem to be clueless of just how inaccurate their designs (Wurms) are compared to real mauls (Warhammer is the more widely used term, actual sledgehammer-like mauls were much too cumbersome for battle,). Obviously you didn't read the description yourself.

warhammer-large.jpg

Wow look at that. see how bland and uninteresting it is? The devs over exaggerated mauls, yet in terms of axes all we get are these bland, boring and unappealing weapon models.

You want to talk about accuracies mate? The hammer ends were very rarely ever used in battle, soldiers favored the pick side over the actual hammer bit because of the armor-puncture so uhh

get at me, you maul fanboy

Edited by Huntar

I kind of like the 2-handed axe, but it makes me look like a peasant. Especially for how quality it is (different models for different QLs? That'd be fun).

The 2-handed maul, especially by contrast, looks garish.

And I can post a thousand pointless pics of mauls without a pick/spike at one end. What's your point? The pick/spike end came later. The hammer end came first. Not all war hammers had picks/spikes. But they all had hammers. You are aware of nothing. Not even your own ignorance of what a maul should be. The axe model looks perfect. The maul is way too ornamental. Not going to argue with a (put your choice of words here) anymore. 

Edited by Clatius

"any resemblance to reality is purely coincidental."

It's a game.  With magic and unicorns.  And mis-named boats.  And wildly differing architectural styles.  And no way to place your cutlery on the table.  And everyone in the game can wear king-grade armour if they wish to.

None of this matters - it's not supposed to be real, it's supposed to be a fantasy.  The entire argument about what's more real is not relevant; unless you're playing Wurm for historical accuracy (!!), the only metric that matters is whether it looks good, and the new huge axe model looks less good than the old one (and definately less good than the new maul models).

• Like 5

It's a game.  With magic and unicorns.  And mis-named boats.  And wildly differing architectural styles.  And no way to place your cutlery on the table.  And everyone in the game can wear king-grade armour if they wish to.

None of this matters - it's not supposed to be real, it's supposed to be a fantasy.  The entire argument about what's more real is not relevant; unless you're playing Wurm for historical accuracy (!!), the only metric that matters is whether it looks good, and the new huge axe model looks less good than the old one (and definately less good than the new maul models).

Regardless of dragons and unicorns and fantasy and so on the new huge axe doesnt look less good to me. The new maul looks nice but doesnt fit the game. It looks too complicated.

Edited by Tsetse
  • Like 1

New large axe looks cool. Older huge axe was better.

Mauls could have been better than they are now.

That would have been the correct huge axe in comparison to the the maul..

The huge axe is just a larger woodcutting axe.. Nothing cool to it any more.

• Like 4

I am playing it for a semblance of historical accuracy. No magic, no glowy rares, no enchantments or the "gods" that go with them, no armor that belongs in a B rating fantasy movie.... hence my post.

I do see the validity of your point for other Players however. Good point.

I would just prefer a Maul that looks like it does what it's supposed to do... bash the @#$% out of things. "Pretty" not required.

Edited by geode
  • Like 2

New Huge Axe is quite underwhelming.

It doesn't look bad in my opinion, but  it doesn't inspire a feeling that this is the hardest hitting axe we have.

Large Maul looks great though, if a bit more ceremonial rather than practical.

Edit:

The Maul looks like I imagine a 90QL weapon to look like.

The Axe looks like I tried to make it myself with all the skill that 7 weaponsmithing can muster.

Edited by Alden

I tend to agree that the huge axe pales in comparison to the more detailed large maul. Even the hatchet is more detailed, looking more appealing. I think mainly visual appearances are what should be focused upon with weapons rather that pure accuracy ties with time periods. The hatchet reminds me a lot of those battle axes in the Viking series. Some of those weapon models would be a nice basis, fancied up a bit.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Robert-Baratheon-War-Hammer-copy.png

Why did ya get the meat tenderizer 7000 out?.... Having a community bbq? :)

I tend to agree that the huge axe pales in comparison to the more detailed large maul. Even the hatchet is more detailed, looking more appealing. I think mainly visual appearances are what should be focused upon with weapons rather that pure accuracy ties with time periods. The hatchet reminds me a lot of those battle axes in the Viking series. Some of those weapon models would be a nice basis, fancied up a bit.

=Ayes=

IMO what they overdid in the hammer is balancing out what they lacked in the axe. The axe does look good, i'd add a few "viking knot" etchings on the blade get a bit gooler looking hilt, maybe a pommel decoration.

But the hammer, well, if anyone here plays LoL, that sure looks right out of Taric's collection (if you know what i mean).

I myself don't use a huge axe but I must say the maul looks awesome.

Huge axe now looks like it's one of those LARP styrofoam boffer weapons :wacko: