Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News #67: Permissions, Clothing and Slain Bugs

kegan, ore QL as a permission was discussed, but it runs into a few snags mechanically, and one gameplay snag, namely making it possible for players with zero prospecting to check the general QL of ore veins on a deed just by adjusting the permissions for an alt acct.

brynden, they do, actually the new system is designed around giving permissions in the same way that a mine door does, you add specific players, and then can also grant broader permissions for large groups such as allies, friends, trusted friends, etc.

I imagine that by default it'll be simple permissions as it is now (only key holders can use when offdeed and then on-deed is a single role setting) but that it'll be possible to add extra functionality with the new stuff.

It's not just that, imagine a big deed built with 500 gates, all made by different people, people that quit, convert, sell, etc.  All the gates will have different ownerships

Then assuming those 500 gates are all with one owner, how to tell which gate is which from the management window... rename 500 gates manually?

It's not just that, imagine a big deed built with 500 gates, all made by different people, people that quit, convert, sell, etc.  All the gates will have different ownerships

Then assuming those 500 gates are all with one owner, how to tell which gate is which from the management window... rename 500 gates manually?

Solving problems like these is why Tich was invented  ^_^ 

• Like 1

New Clothing Items

We also have some new clothing items to share this week. Wox has been hard at work on some new shirts for the fashionable Wurmian! They may be liable to changes before release and will be a part of a wider range of new clothing items.

Shirt1_01.png?dl=1shirt2_01.png?dl=1Shirt3_01.png?dl=1

I LOVE  those!

*  I wish players could dye them or somehow select a color option, at least 2-3 colors per item (more is better)

*  At least four "mix and match bottoms" including leggings aka tights, long skirt, fancy knee "court breeches", long trousers (non tights). All items are unisex as male priests/monks/etc might make use of skirts for a robe look

*  I am not sure if the green one has brown sleeves or is worn with another "pre existing" garment for the sleeves, but I think as much "layering" as possible (sleeves slot as well as tunic slot) plus of course some lovely accessory colored hand and foot items!

Anne Boleyn would be Most Pleased

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X0N46QI9Ag

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

These are great, they really are, only one suggestion, could we remove the jester sleeves?

I get the red & gold match the black, but the indigo blue of the pants I think would work better overall, with the sleeve style of the green set.

Those are the sleeves/pants cloth tailors can make now. The NEW tunic must be a chest piece only

In fact all the pants/ legs etc are current models and not part of the NEW fashion, we just see three new chestslot items

I imagine they will be using a preset palette of colors so that they all can be interchanged without clashing of colors (at least for the new items)

all somewhat muted but players can go for pure natural / masculine / FIERCE / feminine / perky / "whatever to call it" colors to suit their daily moods.

Color-Scheme-Fall-Fashion.jpg

You could use either FLOWERS or MUSHROOMS as a natural textile dye craft ingredient

FLOWERS: yellow white orange blue purple   --   plus RARE colors greenish-yellow(stripes?) & pink-polkadot 

MUSHROOMS: Black red green yellow brown blue

• Like 1

I'm sure the functionality of the permissions has been vastly improved, but the interface is still very lacking so I hope that it will get an overhaul before launched.

I'm sure the functionality of the permissions has been vastly improved, but the interface is still very lacking so I hope that it will get an overhaul before launched.

Huh? It has been overhauled? I'm confused, please explain.

• Like 1

Very impressed that Tich can figure out a way to add all these fine tuned permission options. I am sure this will be a great help to all deed holders, especially the more social ones with citizens. Well done! Nice to have some new clothing choices as well.

=Ayes=

Those are the sleeves/pants cloth tailors can make now. The NEW tunic must be a chest piece only

In fact all the pants/ legs etc are current models and not part of the NEW fashion, we just see three new chestslot items

You sure about that? On the green set it looks like the brown sleeve could be a separate piece or the same??

And especially the orange set. It just looks like a long sleeved chest piece???

The more i look at it, it looks like a No sleeve version - Black set, Medium sleeve version -green, and long sleeve version -orange.

I know it makes sense that they are all just a sleeveless chest piece, but are they?

If they are all sleeveless versions of a chestpiece and all the sleeves shown are currently able to be made, which recipe is for the green set sleeve? I dont ever remember seeing it. But then again Its been a very long time since I made my last cloth set.

Edited by sunsvortex

If they are all sleeveless versions of a chestpiece and all the sleeves shown are currently able to be made, which recipe is for the green set sleeve? I dont ever remember seeing it. But then again Its been a very long time since I made my last cloth set.

* edited as I sometimes get over excited but just to illustrate you can have a "chest" slot that seems to include sleeves and hips unless you assign another item to cover those areas

clothjacket.png clothjacket_plus_sleeves.pngleather.png

• Like 2

I know that news has been a bit low-key lately and made up mostly of bug fixes. But have to say it's been some of the best news, lol! And now we get word of new clothing options as well as a reworked permissions system. Can't really say it gets much better on the back of the big bridge release!

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Last I knew it was overhauled.

How about that other B word, Boats? Any plans to fix the boat models?

- The buttons are disorganized and don't follow the common interaction template which is one of the most important things to think of when designing for others. Users expect the buttons to be in certain places.

- The headlines are written in capital letters in a shiny white colour which is also a no-no when designing since readability is super important. The human brain has a much harder time reading capital words and while it can normally be argued that for headlines capitals are okay it's not the case when it's such a frequently occurring element in the interface.

- The unexplained and unintuitive colour coding - There shouldn't be ambiguous items in an interface. Why are some items colour coded? Are they more important than the rest? According to whom? And why is there a note about the "Citizen type roles" in the Co-mayor options? Shouldn't those settings be exclusively included in the citizen type roles and therefor need no explanation in the other roles? --> Colour coding can be of great use in an interface for grouping but at the moment it's just used for arbitrary elements across the settings.

- There are a lot of list items so a lot of scrolling is going to be involved, so the slider would benefit from being larger to aid those who don't scroll with the mouse wheel.

? Will we be able to click the text item as a button? Currently we have to hit the little box in order to check or uncheck an item and it would be convenient to be able to click the text and have the same functionality.

? When we resize the window will the items jump down a row or will we have to sidescroll to reach them? It would be good if the items jumped down a row.

? Currently when resizing the mailbox GUI (for accepting items) the items expand and collapse in very unexpected ways ( http://imgur.com/UjmNFj2,ftdnd1b,hye4kcm,y6kvvKE#0 ) and the menu bar looks dynamic but isn't i.e. you can't expand the names of them when they're obscured. You CAN click on the menu line as if they were buttons but nothing happens. Will the resized permissions GUI act in the same way and will this get looked at?

+ The neatly aligned rows however is one thing that is great about the new interface and something I hope they'll keep since it promotes readability.

+ The font is very legible since there is very little text, which is good.

+ Putting items in categories for easier browsing is a great step forward since it aids the user.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm super happy they're finally taking their time to fix the permissions since it's such an important part of the game. I just hope they'll take their time on the interface for it and make it great and also work on creating consistent interfaces for the various other interactions in the game (mine doors, merchants, boats, mailboxes etc etc). There's no rush, the important part is the end product and I don't think they should settle for "okay" when they can go for "good".

• Like 1

I'll answer a few of your questions/concerns aeris,

the image posted is a mockup (note the disconnected scroll bars on the side) and not a final product, so changes will still be made to it for sure.

The format of the text (capital letters etc) in that is not set in stone at all, and the comment about all caps has merit

In regards to the button placement, the top portion of the window is static, meaning that you can resize the window vertically and the different options will scroll without taking the top part of the window (the role name and buttons in this case) off screen. This will be consistent across all of the management windows including managing permissions for buildings etc where there might be 50-100 people listed in some cases.

- - - In other words, once you make whatever changes you desire, there will be no need to scroll all the way to the bottom in order to apply them, as the buttons will always be visible.

The colors are (afaik) internal use for us as we have been discussing what should do what actually and may or may not be in the production UI, but what they denote is:

red options will get a popup warning players will have to confirm to allow the granting of that permission to that role, as they are potentially very dangerous. (for instance, granting someone the ability to disband the settlement or destroy any building on the deed would be bad to do by mistake) [edit- the popup confirmation will appear as the role is checked, not when the changes are applied]

the blue citizen type roles note would appear regardless of the role being modified, but again, i think that was a note for those of us discussing the changes, not part of the final UI itself, the wording on it might change for the final UI if it does appear as well but, all it means is that those permissions in blue (in this case the entire subgroup of settlement management and the individual permission attach locks) are only able to be granted to members/citizens of the deed, not to allied deeds, non citizens, or other players that have been added as an individual.

in regards to the co-mayor thing, that's just the name of the entire role being edited in that popup.

Selecting the option by clicking on the text probably won't happen, as hovering over the text is intended to give a tooltip style hint of exactly WHAT that option does.  so, hovering over

Chop Down Old Trees would cause the text "Allows chopping down of Old, Very Old and Overaged trees." (or whatever we decide on as the final text) to appear overtop of the management window. 

- - - In other words, no more scrolling down through a wall of text to find out what each permission does when trying to figure out what to grant different people.

• Like 4

Thank you for the clarification Spellcast, great news :D

kegan, ore QL as a permission was discussed, but it runs into a few snags mechanically, and one gameplay snag, namely making it possible for players with zero prospecting to check the general QL of ore veins on a deed just by adjusting the permissions for an alt acct.

You only need 20 prospecting to check ore quality. If it means people have more control over the deed i think its worth having the ability there.

If people want to use a work around instead of grinding for 30 mins to get 20 in a skill im sure it wont be abused too greatly.

• Like 1

So much looking forward to that permission update, current permissions have been bugging me for 6 years now XD

Thanks Tich!

You only need 20 prospecting to check ore quality. If it means people have more control over the deed i think its worth having the ability there.

If people want to use a work around instead of grinding for 30 mins to get 20 in a skill im sure it wont be abused too greatly.

It only takes 30 minutes? I want a time refund then, because I've spent at least 32 minutes grinding that skill and haven't hit 20!!!

The cloth armour looks fancy, can we have a model for the Royal Robes/Cape, and a better model for the crown now?

you do it wrong way then

Pretty sure there is only one way to do it.

Can the PR team choose a different name for the weekly news? This current name sucks and lacks any kind of aesthetic pull to it.

The new clothes are cool, still waiting on a long black hooded cape to go with my scythe tho...

• Like 1

How about some proper (or even improper) dresses for us Ladies?

• Like 6

I'll be all over these clothes ;)

I've actually taken a habit to dressing my characters properly when not adventuring or straight out go fighting/hunting. Not only are you walking faster, you're also looking really sharp.

The new permissions interface looks great, too. Also the whole idea of having the buttons always visible, is probably going to be very convenient. I hope it'll be somewhat detached from the friends list, too. I'm always wary about who I accept and keep because of vehicle permissions.

Keep that momentum Wurmentum going :)

Edited by Ulviirala