Sign in to follow this  
Nappy

Epic Interview - Jenn Kellon

As part of my ongoing series of articles about Epic it made sense to approach the Epic leaders for an interview. All of the leaders have agreed to an interview based on the following questions. Each interview will be posted separately and in the same order that the leaders responded to the original interview request.

For the purpose of these interviews I was Kingdom neutral and all articles were approved by the leader(s) interviewed prior to being posted.

• Name, rank, title(s), name of kingdom
  • Personal
    • How long have you played Wurm?
    • What path has your Wurm journey taken?
    • How did you become the leader of your kingdom?
    • Most satisfying moment as the leader
    • Most satisfying moment in game for you personally
  • Kingdom
    • Can you tell me more about your kingdom?
    • What are the overall goal(s) of your kingdom?
    • Why join your kingdom?
      • As an experienced EPIC player
      • As an experienced CHAOS player
      • As a Freedom player coming to Epic
  • How does someone contact your kingdom in order to join?

Here is the response from the Jenn Kellon:

Amberain:

First I would like to say that JK has no one leader. We have a very large group and we share the leadership role amongst some trusted players or "Elders" that work well together. Having a kingdom this way keeps a good system of checks and balances, so that we can all help each other and lean on each other to lead when needed.

Our Grand Prince is currently Ausimus, he has been with JK for 3+ years and brings lots of experience and time invested and trusted in JK.  I am our alliance leader and Mayor of the Capitol of JK, I have played wurm for 3 years, in JK for all of that except 28 days.  Awardis "The Silent King" is a jack of all trades, and is there to help and lead in any situation. He has been with us for 2 years. And Posteh I would consider our PVP leader and all around mentor to the entire group. He has been with JK since before I started playing the game, and is looked to for advice and guidance by all of JKE.

For this interview I spoke with our group and we decided together that Posteh would speak as our leader. He has been here the longest and has helped shape the group and each player in it over time.

Hi, my name is Posteh.  Former Grand Prince.

I started Wurm in 2005 when I took a class regarding Java, and the professor actually used Wurm showcased it as an example of games coded with Java.  Back then Wurm was far ahead of its time creatively with its terraforming, large open map, and building system.

I did not seriously start playing until the Wild server.  I was Horde of the Summoned for years, and I think in all those years we rarely had any PvP victories. 

Once our raid group wiped out to a Jenn-Kellon boar. The kingdom had no structure, no unity, no leadership, and honestly no one had any clue how to properly fight.  It was not until a player named Playtimesover (PTO) in Jenn-Kellon decided to convert to Horde of the Summoned, and offered to train us that we began to understand how to fight.  We founded a village called Legion of Libila, which was honestly like a boot camp, and it was rigorous.  Every day we were grinding our skills, meditating, shield bashing, archery training, and expanding our kingdom north towards the heart of Jenn-Kellon.   We went from just being a bunch of mediocre nobodies to suddenly a rising threat that was winning battles against Jenn-Kellon.  This was huge for us because for the entirety of the map Jenn-Kellon had dominated everyone.  This really taught me the impact one leader can make in this game.

I do not really like the term leader because it carries this misconception that someone is solely responsible for a kingdom’s actions, which is never the truth.  In Jenn-Kellon’s case there are plenty of people within the kingdom that lead in various aspects, however, I just merely have been doing it the longest, and I feel people respect your time more than a title.  There are several other players in Jenn-Kellon just as equally qualified to answer these questions as much as I am.  I just happen to have a great deal of experience especially in PvP, and I am fortunate enough to have many trust my word when it comes to a battle.  I personally consider myself more of a tactician than leader.

I guess I look at Wurm a bit different because to me it is not about my personal success, glory, rank, title, or account value.  To me it is about the kingdom.  I want my kingdom to succeed.  You may have a very strong account with all the riches and valuables, that is great, but what good is all that without a unified kingdom to fight alongside with?  For me personally my most satisfying moments as a leader is witnessing the impact I had on players by helping them understand how to fight, and seeing that they then are able to win a battle without my presence.  Although I know I have been considered a very abrasive “tough-love type†leader, I do it because I want players to realize their mistakes for the next fight, and improve.  I love seeing my kingdom’s accomplishments and victories without me.  It is very satisfying seeing a player’s growth in PvP, and I am lucky to have seen dozens.

Jenn-Kellon is a pretty well-structured kingdom with a large population, and heavy PvP presence.  One of the great things about Jenn-Kellon is that we have a very diverse crowd from many countries.  We are dominantly American, but we also have several Europeans, and Australians too.  Additionally our community is very sociable, many of us spend our playing time on the Teamspeak chatting, playing various other games, and watching movies together online.  Wurm is a lot of fun, but it also can be very time consuming, and boring.  It is great to have a kingdom that you can socialize and develop friendships with while you play.

As for goals much like other kingdoms we just want to PvP, and do well.   I believe Jenn-Kellon is very well known for having a large infrastructure.  We have a history of large land control, big capitals, war deeds, highways, tunnels, and towers.  Obviously we want to continue that into the new Elevation without blocking off enemies from entering for PvP.  There is a lot more land this time to cover, and we are just now starting to connect all the villages.

I will be honest with you when I say most kingdoms are the same.  Every kingdom has their hardcore PvPers, crafters, mission doers, troublemakers, loudmouths, and wild cards.   There is a similar hierarchy in all kingdoms.  No matter which kingdom you choose to join you will find it resembles the others in many aspects.  The only real difference is the type of PvP a kingdom chooses to focus on: roaming, boats, raiding, HotA, traps, and or simply picking on newbies at the starter town.  Some are gutsy, some are not.  I will say we are extremely social, but equally trollish.  We make fun of each other a lot in joking, and honestly that is not for everyone especially if they are sensitive.

If you want to join first you must know we will never tell you where our capital is.  You must climb the highest mountain on all of Elevation where you will pick a handful of white dotted flowers.  Then you must collect four mountain gorilla teeth, craft ten spindles, tame a wild crab, and then find us.  Once you find us say the words, “Valar morghulis.† We will accept you.  No questions asked.

• Like 7