Sign in to follow this  
Aariez

Tool enchant decay

With the last patch, the developers have acknowledged that "enchant decay" is not a good idea (or at least the community at large isn't fond of it).  What I fail to understand is why it was only removed from weapons?  What is different about tools that makes it ok for their enchants to decay while it is not ok for weapon enchants to decay?

If there is no fundamental difference between the two, could the devs please consider removing tool enchant decay as well?

Thank you.

• Like 6

Tools have like one or two enchants which is fine to maintain or just ditch for new ones unless rare or something its not a big deal, the weapons have so many more which sucks the fun out of having to deal with if they wear out. There is a line I think between being reasonable and just getting greedy asking for too much. The only issue really was that people were used to something for a very long time and get upset when something comfortable changes for the worse (do I hear mooring ropes anyone?)

I think we should be happy with the small victory and that asking for tools to be the same is just taking it a step too far but that's just my 2c for what it isn't worth *shrug*

• Like 17

The main weapon enchants (LT, MS, nimbleness to a lesser degree) require multiple priests as well, so there's a higher barrier to entry there.  Given that weapon enchants haven't decayed for a long time, whereas tool enchants have always decayed, also points to them not being the same thing.  Folks with priest farms complaining about how it's not fair that they only get to charge for one weapon enchant aren't in any worse a situation than they were last week, before the change became common knowledge.

• Like 1

It's a fine kettle of fish now.

Can of worms, more like.

I also think that it is unreasonable to ask to remove all enchant decay. It seems inconsistent to remove it from weapons, but there are some good reasons for that, some of which Sme briefly mentioned.

Maybe a compromise could be reached. For example, maybe only ONE enchant on a weapon could decay at a time. Probably, it'd be the last enchant cast (the same one that would be dispelled first). This would make it so people have a way to protect their heavily enchanted weapons, while still creating a market for re-enchants on them. In fact, it would compel people to get an extra cast, even if it's just a low power one, to add that protective layer.

Decay sucks because it seems unfair, but it is necessary. Giving players a tool to control how their stuff decays will make it feel more fair.

Edited by LaRue
  • Like 3

There is a line I think between being reasonable and just getting greedy asking for too much. 

I'm sorry you see it as greed.  For me, it's just about consistency and balance.  Unless there's some very good reason for it otherwise, enchant decay should either exist or not exist.

• Like 2

Tools have like one or two enchants which is fine to maintain or just ditch for new ones unless rare or something its not a big deal, the weapons have so many more which sucks the fun out of having to deal with if they wear out. There is a line I think between being reasonable and just getting greedy asking for too much. The only issue really was that people were used to something for a very long time and get upset when something comfortable changes for the worse (do I hear mooring ropes anyone?)

I think we should be happy with the small victory and that asking for tools to be the same is just taking it a step too far but that's just my 2c for what it isn't worth *shrug*

There's the line, and its been crossed.

The reason, once again, is because the devs don't want to grief the "established" players.

Which means they can't make that that guy with that Vynora priest that he bought to that other guy stop selling enchants... Its bad enough that Weapon enchants (which are where generally they'll be more expensive) are now permanent (inflation coming soon), but how could they be so cruel as to be consistent in their decisions, and thus make the "poor" priest lose his meal ticket.

This is Wurm development in a Nutshell, every change is made less by the hesitation to aggravate the people that use Wurm for money.

Tools have like one or two enchants which is fine to maintain or just ditch for new ones unless rare or something its not a big deal, the weapons have so many more which sucks the fun out of having to deal with if they wear out.

I have CoC and WoA on some of my tools.  I have a single CoC enchant on some of my weapons.  Seems to me it's easier to get the CoC enchant on my weapon improved, than it is to get the CoC enchantment on my tools improved. And for this reason your argument is lost.

Can of worms, more like.

I also think that it is unreasonable to ask to remove all enchant decay. It seems inconsistent to remove it from weapons, but there are some good reasons for that, some of which Sme briefly mentioned.

Maybe a compromise could be reached. For example, maybe only ONE enchant on a weapon could decay at a time. Probably, it'd be the last enchant cast (the same one that would be dispelled first). This would make it so people have a way to protect their heavily enchanted weapons, while still creating a market for re-enchants on them. In fact, it would compel people to get an extra cast, even if it's just a low power one, to add that protective layer.

Decay sucks because it seems unfair, but it is necessary. Giving players a tool to control how their stuff decays will make it feel more fair.

+1 this very nice idea if weapons take a long time to decay like tools do, I have bought a 85botd pickaxe when I had somewhere around 30 mining and kept using this same pickaxe to 67 mining while not trying to level at all, mostly doing actions that give the worst ticks and now it has 68 botd. My other tools with coc and woa also have proved to be very durable through use. A weapon enchant would have probably disappeared 30 times with same frequency of use on the recent change which just got reverted.

With the last patch, the developers have acknowledged that "enchant decay" is not a good idea (or at least the community at large isn't fond of it).  What I fail to understand is why it was only removed from weapons?  What is different about tools that makes it ok for their enchants to decay while it is not ok for weapon enchants to decay?

If there is no fundamental difference between the two, could the devs please consider removing tool enchant decay as well?

Thank you.

No no no a thousand times no. The weapons decay "revert" was an act of stupidity that encourages EXACTLY this kind of thread and starts a move towards negative uniformity that will MURDER this game. People already have it as good as it's every been in Wurm with regards to the cheapness of enchants. Killing enchant decay would end the vast majority of priest accounts as soon as they had stocked up on top flight gear for personal use. They would then be sold for a vastly reduced price (due to lack of demand for enchanting services) and the money and players would walk away from Wurm good and bitter knowing their hard work, expense and time put into grinding one up was a sham.

That's how you kill a game.

• Like 3

Enchant decay is fine.  Everything should have it, or none at all.

• Like 5

Agreed. I don't see any real problem with enchant decay (with use) on weapons. It should, however, definitely be slower than 1 power per 3-5 aggro kills. That is a bit harsh. Weapons and tools should be treated the same in that aspect. Both should decay slowly with use and even more slowly on items of rarity. It seems logical and would also help to ensure that the priests of Wurm will always have improvement work to do just like any other trade in the game.

• Like 4

Its bad enough that Weapon enchants (which are where generally they'll be more expensive) are now permanent (inflation coming soon)

But....... the markets were fine for the many many years weapon enchants never decayed?  Decay on them was only in for a few weeks/months...

It's not like weapon enchants decayed for the last 9 years and now we're stopping them from decaying

A few people are making the short lived bug fix revert out to be like the sky is falling and the game is hurt.  It's like these same people probably were happy to have to manually fill each and every lamp on their deed constantly when that bug fix happened

• Like 5

But....... the markets were fine for the many many years weapon enchants never decayed?  Decay on them was only in for a few weeks/months...

It's not like weapon enchants decayed for the last 9 years and now we're stopping them from decaying

A few people are making the short lived bug fix revert out to be like the sky is falling and the game is hurt.  It's like these same people probably were happy to have to manually fill each and every lamp on their deed constantly when that bug fix happened

The market must be very fine. I have a friend who is looking for an LT cast and has been advertising his want of one. He even posted it in one of these threads that he has been asking and none of the priests have contacted him. Business must not be too bad or they wouldn't be passing up an initial LT cast, let alone reapplying one. 

Sorry guys, just saying. If you can't get one cast in the first place, why would we want it to rot off when we finally get one so we can't get it replaced again?

• Like 3

Enchant decay should be on everything. It was quite clearly a bug, and with the "summer of bugfixes" coming up, you have to take the good with the bad. It's the same reason "window of opportunity" bugs get fixed -- they might make the game easier for everyone, but that on its own does not warrant leaving them in the game.

• Like 2

The market must be very fine. I have a friend who is looking for an LT cast and has been advertising his want of one. He even posted it in one of these threads that he has been asking and none of the priests have contacted him. Business must not be too bad or they wouldn't be passing up an initial LT cast, let alone reapplying one. 

Sorry guys, just saying. If you can't get one cast in the first place, why would we want it to rot off when we finally get one so we can't get it replaced again?

Have him send me a PM, I've not seen his requests, would be happy to help him out.

• Like 1

I personally know only two people with 90+ WS I can however drop a rock shard and hit a dozen people with 90+ bs. And as mentioned earlier woa and coc are easier casts and don't need multiple priests.

• Like 1

what is this market everyone speaks of? is it something the entire game is supposed to be balanced around? huh...

bug or not, it made the game more tedious and tedium does not a good game make (mooring ropes, lamps staying lit on deed, crappy / random casting mechanics, etc.)

Tools have like one or two enchants which is fine to maintain or just ditch for new ones unless rare or something its not a big deal,

This is pure tripe. It is a big deal. I have multiple tools with enchants and zero weapons with enchants. For me it is unfair to the extreme to allow a few pampered players to get what they want but shrug off the vast majority of the community as though they are nothing but a bother. Look at the numbers. There are far far more enchanted tools compared to weapons and you say the those players mean nothing to you. And you call yourself a game master.  :P

You of all people should strive for equality among the player population. A good game master makes the game enjoyable for everyone. Actually, the GMs probably should not be posting their personal opinions in the forums. It can lead to morons like myself saying things as in this post.  ;)

So, I'm wondering, do you, SmeJack (or your alts),  have enchanted weapons? 

/me waits for the ban hammer.

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 1

Personally I'd like to see no enchant decay except upon death... random chance for all tools, armor, weapons, etc to lose X to Y amount of power PER enchant.  However, I know 90% of players will dislike this and attempt to start an argument with me of some kind :P

I've always understood it to be a matter of timers.  Most actions have a timer and those are the actions that wear off the enchants over time.  Weapons and some other items do not actually have a timer, so the enchant does not wear off.  Not much logic there, but totally wogical.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 1

I don't like the weapon decay and I would be happy without it but I could see how it could be beneficial to the game. Just as long as the decay was super slow and not like the enchant decay I get on my rakes and shovels. Myself I think account selling is a bigger issue for the economy.

1. We have enchant decay on tools already.

2. Items on deed such as Bsb's,Coffins, wells, mailboxes,fsb's,chests, forges, and lately seems like ships,carts and wagons are getting super decay.

3. Weapons,Armor,Tools all take major QL decay if not on your person on deed.

4. Items inside the bsb's, fsb's take hits and lose items.

Ironically we have nice new weapons racks, bow racks, armor stands and instead of halting ql decay on deed for these items it does absolutely nothing for them except decay themselves.

The only things on deed that should decay are items gathered,farmed,foraged,botanized,butchered and items needed to craft other things ie nails,planks,wood scraps. Everything else like bsbs,beds,racks,stands,rugs,forges,ovens,carts,ships etc.... should not.

I remember one of the devs or staff saying on deed decay has to stay because its needed. I would love to know what its needed for because most people who pay upkeep are going to repair their stuff. Even most of the inactive ones are going to log on now and then to repair items so its not like the database is losing many items from it. I think its good enough that when there is less then 30 days upkeep all of the above takes decay hits. I probably make more trash on the server in one day chopping trees, mining than this on deed decay removes in 6 months so i see it as a non issue.

This all seems a bit off topic but I feel it is related because I think a large part of resistance to enchant decay might be the fact that I believe people are just plain tired of all the other forms of decay we just don't want anymore stacked on our plates. At least that's how I feel but I don't think i am alone. Fix the above issues and when all deed holders have to worry about is tool and weapon decay then I think it can be revisited.

HaHa you people are all funny. :P

If Rolf actually caved because the player base wanted him to and not because he agreed with the change, I only have one thing to ask him....

"Who are you and what did you do with Rolf?"

• Like 3