Sign in to follow this  
Gumbo

Bring Back Weapon Chant Decay

holy crap,why are you so fired up gumbo,chill take a break.. almost everyone is against you and you wanna fight them all,love the spirit but still..

why didn't you complained for the 5-6 years or how long that ``bug`` was active..

Been wanting bug fixes for years. Now that they're here, people should accept that this is the vision that Rolf had. I don't complain much, but when inequality exists, that should be rectified.

so in your opinion you want rolf to put enchant decay on all items, that including armours too..i can't imagine how fun it will be when you try to recast aosp on scale armour and a piece gets puff...ye we sure need that..i think the way it is now its good and it worked for so long.

• Like 2

Add decay for all enchants and revert the very old change that made it possible for high channeling priests to shatter 90ql stuff and problem solved (it made completely no sense when they added it, it still makes no sense now).

PS. It won't be solved for people who want to do everything alone or with only one high level priest and batteries until a player god gets Vynora's enchants + LT but they aren't many.

Edited by Anothernoob

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect that.  The way I see it is the system now discriminates against a portion of players, and that should be rectified. It was the way Rolf meant the game to be and everyone should have respected that.

What if rolf him self realized he made a mistake..i mean lets be serious,he made many changes that alot of people didn't liked..we would he agreed with us now and in such short time..

As a person that does enchants, I have to disagree, hate seeing all that work and effort go to waste on decays, it's bad enough having to reimp casts on every tool in the game.. then even though I have 90+ channeling the risks of shatters and pissing off customers.. no thank you.

I enchant only my own stuff because I feel absolutely horrible when I explode someone's stuff. Even being a priest, I thought this was a bad idea. There's enough market for tool enchants that do decay and don't need batteries and high power casts with the shatter risk on the type of items people get these high powered casts on. I have a couple rare weapons. It was a nail-biting enough experience getting them cast once.

EDIT: The number of people who can make a good saw vs the number of people who can make a good 2H sword is why I didn't like this. I don't feel queasy over my tools exploding. LOL

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 2

so in your opinion you want rolf to put enchant decay on all items, that including armours too..i can't imagine how fun it will be when you try to recast aosp on scale armour and a piece gets puff...ye we sure need that..i think the way it is now its good and it worked for so long.

Yes, this is exactly how it should be. Enchanting on a valuable item is always a risk now as it should be. If people are not prepared to risk blowing something valuable up they don't have to enhance it with enchants. As always, it's the players choice to risk this. If it's too valuable to risk, don't do it. If that makes it less useful, so be it. 

If I use a tool 500 times to improve an item and it drops off a point, that seems fair to me. If you stab something 500 times with your sword, losing a point off an enchantment on it seems fair as well. Both are tools used in different ways but are no less ordinary or valuable than the other. The value is artificial and created by supply and demand by players. 

Clearly you will want the rate of use decay to be on par with both tools and weapons - if you're losing a point off a cast every few hits then that's clearly ######, but otherwise it's only fair to follow the same pattern as non combative items with enchants.

Weapons, tools, armour - it all needs to work on the same to be fair. If it's not fair it's always going to be an "us vs them" argument between those who spend more time with the hammer than those with the sword.

This isn't unreasonable at all. What is unreasonable are the entrenched Chaos elite who rally around and shout down absolutely anything which doesn't serve them first and foremost.

• Like 3

Yes, this is exactly how it should be. Enchanting on a valuable item is always a risk now as it should be. If people are not prepared to risk blowing something valuable up they don't have to enhance it with enchants. As always, it's the players choice to risk this. If it's too valuable to risk, don't do it. If that makes it less useful, so be it. 

If I use a tool 500 times to improve an item and it drops off a point, that seems fair to me. If you stab something 500 times with your sword, losing a point off an enchantment on it seems fair as well. Both are tools used in different ways but are no less ordinary or valuable than the other. The value is artificial and created by supply and demand by players. 

Clearly you will want the rate of use decay to be on par with both tools and weapons - if you're losing a point off a cast every few hits then that's clearly ######, but otherwise it's only fair to follow the same pattern as non combative items with enchants.

Weapons, tools, armour - it all needs to work on the same to be fair. If it's not fair it's always going to be an "us vs them" argument between those who spend more time with the hammer than those with the sword.

This isn't unreasonable at all. What is unreasonable are the entrenched Chaos elite who rally around and shout down absolutely anything which doesn't serve them first and foremost.

Thank you very much for posting this. It is bang on for how I feel about this situation.

Fine except for one thing - The Zero Liability Rule that all priests put up front on any casts. If we (I am one) get a bigger market and more income over time due to a whole new class of items with enchant decays, take some responsibility. Our income is going up. Cover the explsions. It works that way when an "engine priest" enchants a car with a better engine. (Edit for I can't spell reasons :-p)

Edited by Audrel

that will just split the game in two.. poor players and rich players.. like any other mmo...i'm sure that lots of people wouldn't like that,and for some this is one of the reasons they play this game.

there are tons of tools that need recast every now and then..which put toghether they are pretty expensive..why would you add more to it..only a custom enchant on a weapons gets to +15s add armours too and you will need daddy's/grandpa wallet..  plus the other thing is that its hard to find someone for custom enchants.. i have 5-6 rare tools i want casted and so far 5 people turned me down becouse they don't went to shatter my tools

• Like 1

that will just split the game in two.. poor players and rich players.. like any other mmo...i'm sure that lots of people wouldn't like that,and for some this is one of the reasons they play this game.

there are tons of tools that need recast every now and then..which put toghether they are pretty expensive..why would you add more to it..only a custom enchant on a weapons gets to +15s add armours too and you will need daddy's/grandpa wallet..  plus the other thing is that its hard to find someone for custom enchants.. i have 5-6 rare tools i want casted and so far 5 people turned me down becouse they don't went to shatter my tools

But I think most agree it could have been solved without removing decay all together. Problem for new priest is that there is no market for them so few people want to start a priest as it takes a year to make it profitable. But with decaying enchants there could be a refill mechanic that a lower priest could perform without risk of shatter. The low level priest could then do refills while high level priest does the improvements.

• Like 2

Flip things around then. What if it was weapon enchants that decayed and tool enchants didn't. Would the situation be any different? Do you think the tool enchanters would be upset if they were discriminated against?

A friend of mine has been advertising all week looking for an LT on a weapon on Release. When it decays, do we have to endure this hunt for a caster ad infinitum? There are more parts of the market that need shored up before you add more demand. The demand is there but where is the supply?

EDIT: We already have the issue of 10 times in the mail for everything else. I get my weapons imped often. They lose a mail tag each time. When I have to start adding on re-echants, the local market fails to deliver.

Moar Edit:

1) Fix shatter so it happens less with higher channeling and higher QL like Keenan suggested.

2) Can Zero Liability. The market is going to add armor and weapon recasts and thus more income. Insure to at least 50% eh?

3) Fix the mail so we don't have number of mailings limits.

4) Or overhaul priests so you have more people who can even cast these things.

Edited by Audrel

The demand is there but where is the supply?

Sounds like weapon enchants could be a good thing for some ambitious young go getter to pursue.

I've gotta say this whole thing is a win/win.

Weapon enchants decay? Mo casts, mo dolla.
Weapon enchants don't decay? I don't have to deal with the crushing fear of shattering people's valuable weapons, especially my own.

I don't honestly think that's adding significantly to expense especially when you consider the market for enchants has plummeted in the last 2 years along with pretty much everything else other than some rares and drake / scale sets. In addition, with decay on weapons and armour you will need to have it improved periodically and there are a lot of priests out there fighting over the chance to earn a few coppers to do it. Clearly, you will want the more competent priests to do the work for you and that may come at a premium but it's all self regulating. There is certainly money to be made by priests but it'll almost certainly be cheaper to afford due to the overwhelming competition there would be for it. 

+1 , but we should also have character decay, by which I mean old age permadeath. Maybe maximum 1,000 hours playtime and then you croak, never to be seen again. R.I.P. The End. Game over man, game over.

• Like 1

Sounds like weapon enchants could be a good thing for some ambitious young go getter to pursue.

just like that clap your fingers and you make your self a 90 channeling fo and vyn priest and  a battery each ha? seriously..

I don't disagree with you at all, Gumbo. I just don't think they way it works with these enchants being cast that it is a good idea yet. (key word here)

Edit: OMG I can't even speak English today. LOL

Edited by Audrel

No, i pay enough for enchants. Dont need to repay for them every once in a while.

No, i pay enough for enchants. Dont need to repay for them every once in a while.

It sounds like you're all for no decay of chants on tools as well.

No, Rolf did the right thing.

+1 Rolf

-1 Gumbo (I don't dislike you, just your idea)

• Like 1

The only issue I had with this was the fact weapons generally have more than 2 enchants on them, this much more difficult for casting management than your usual tools that generally only have WoA/CoC on due to the 'favorable' dispel and rechant system people use.

I would have no issue if 'dispel' could remove a specific enchant selected so people may continue with their OCD idea you get easier casts when you're not "improving" the cast at a high level.

The levels of seriousness in this thread is hilarious, just a FYI - when the bug was supposed to have been fixed years ago, there was NO spurge outcry at all - and that one was in a news update. Funny how some people get accustomed to things.

Change benefits me more, but wasn't bothered either way, the fix allowed the whole system to be equal - did anyone actually do any tests on how fast the enchants decayed? probably not.

It was only in for 1 day. The way casting works, as you said above, it's best it's not in yet. Rework this stuff and put it back when the kinks you describe are addressed. It's not a bad idea overall. It's just a bad idea given the way it works (or in some cases fails to). If it works anything like weapon decay itself, my weapon and armor have a significantly higher wear rate than my tools. They get as much use in a month as a tool gets in 4 hours yet they need imped far more often. If I can expect this on casts, they won't last more than a a couple weeks.

Edited by Audrel

Change benefits me more, but wasn't bothered either way, the fix allowed the whole system to be equal - did anyone actually do any tests on how fast the enchants decayed? probably not.

My weapon lost 1 point in every enchant (Nim, Fb, CoC) on a longsword within 1-2 hours of hunting.