Sign in to follow this  
Tsetse

One tile wide highway bridges

We need a clarification that a highway bridge can be single tile wide and not necessarily two tile wide. The material cost is already huge for a single tile wide and should be enough for normal travel. If every highway bridge has to be two tile wide then please make two tiles less painful to build.

-1 a highway is 2 tiles wide so therefore a highway bridge should be the same.

*edit* unless its a single tile highway with sand on each side leading up to it.... then the bridge is ok with only being one tile wide

Edited by Metrix

It was said that bridges are protected if they are connected to a legal highway so if it is a legal highway that the bridge is on then yes a one tile bridge will be protected.  (for aesthetics i think if you are going to use a two tile highway that you should also use a two tile bridge)

I think 1 tile bridge is fine when connected to a highway, heck I am just happy someone goes to all the work to do it.

• Like 2

I think it should be no less than 2 tiles wide, no matter the cost, and attached to on both sides by an as-currently-defined legal highway. I'll bash my bridge back out and let the world go back to zigzagging along the crooked coast if it is deemed a highway.

EDIT: The bridge is now done and so damn bugged out that I locked it off with gates and the world must use the zigzaggy road anyway or risk having their cart/wagon stuck on it and any led animals fall through the cracks into the ocean. Problem solved for me.

Edited by Audrel

we have been discussing this actually, the current consensus is that a bridge will be considered part of a highway no matter how wide it is as long as it is connecting parts of a highway. (namely the roads on either side must be 1 tile w/ sanded border or 2+ paved wide, AND, connect two or more deeds.

basically we are not going to force a bridge to be 2 tiles wide to consider it part of a highway just because the rest of the highway is, this does not mean that random bridges are suddenly protected as the bridge must be part of a highway that otherwise fits the requirements. 

so: a 1 wide bridge connecting 2 single tile roads that do not have sanded borders would not be considered highway, the same bridge connecting 2 parts of a 3 wide highway that connect with deeds on either side would be. 

aesthetically I can't see myself building a bridge that was not the same width as the highway itself, but that's just me.

tl:dr version; - bridges can be any width to be used as part of a highway, but a bridge is not automatically considered highway.

• Like 1

we have been discussing this actually, the current consensus is that a bridge will be considered part of a highway no matter how wide it is as long as it is connecting parts of a highway. (namely the roads on either side must be 1 tile w/ sanded border or 2+ paved wide, AND, connect two or more deeds.

basically we are not going to force a bridge to be 2 tiles wide to consider it part of a highway just because the rest of the highway is, this does not mean that random bridges are suddenly protected as the bridge must be part of a highway that otherwise fits the requirements. 

so: a 1 wide bridge connecting 2 single tile roads that do not have sanded borders would not be considered highway, the same bridge connecting 2 parts of a 3 wide highway that connect with deeds on either side would be. 

aesthetically I can't see myself building a bridge that was not the same width as the highway itself, but that's just me.

tl:dr version; - bridges can be any width to be used as part of a highway, but a bridge is not automatically considered highway.

So someone just drops some sand along the road either side and ninja-highways it. It needs to be 2 tiles like every other highway. If it costs twice as much to make it, there will be less highways paving the servers.

The rules on paper say one thing, sure..... 

But if you ever need a highway taken out and the GM's said "no", I can name a CA who takes them out without consequence, he'll clean your area nicely.  Just be sure to ask that he doesn't and report him after he does so it's officially "allowed" =)

So someone just drops some sand along the road either side and ninja-highways it. It needs to be 2 tiles like every other highway. If it costs twice as much to make it, there will be less highways paving the servers.

If they go and drop sand down the entire length of a 1 tile wide road that connects 2 deeds they can make that road highway now, what exactly has changed here?  we are talking about bridges and when they will be considered part of a highway, not how to make highways themselves. 

Absolutely nothing. 2 bricks attached to the dirt side by side still overrules the vaunted Deed It or Lose It, oft quoted when other things not highways are dug up.