Sign in to follow this  
Battlepaw

ARK Survival Evolved (AKA: Dinochow simulator) Have you played it?

c833c65fff6c5b1a18614acf8356dfbc7fb3879b

Game launched just a day or so ago, how many of you guys tried it out yet?  Whatcha think?   

Seems like rust meets dinosaurs, but in a good way.... most of the time. 

If you could add one thing to Rust to make it more troll, it might be dinosaurs, though on the other hand at least the dinosaurs are enough of a threat that the naked beating each other to a pulp on the shore take pause long enough to try and run screaming like little girls from T-rex, and then go back beating each other to a pulp.   

In about 10+ hours of gameplay I was killed more times than I can count, often spawning as meal service right in a pack of hungry carnivores but I don't think I've ever had so much fun.   The dino taming system is very interesting too.   In adition to being able to ride or fly on the backs of some types, you can tame others  that do things like guard you or gather things for you.    After a while I teamed up with someone who was fresh from watching youtube while I was playing the launch who had the bright idea to tame the little preditor dinos that spit venom (yes the kind like in Jurassic Park)   The ensuing lulz was hilarious, and all the naked beach people scattered like rats upon sight rather than trying their luck :D    Imagine if you had a doberman, that was green and scaley, and killed anyone who attacked you and then ate them.     (After blinding them and munching their balls off)

Anyways, game is ok in my book, even if it is a little insane sometimes.    

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 6

I did not even know about it. It seems like it might be a good one but i vowed to not do anymore early access or funding on games anymore. I will see how it unfolds and might give it a try later if it survives after the hype is over. 

Edited by Kegan

Well there are PvE servers, though I've not tried them yet as they are all packed to full slots every time I look, but you can also play local too by yourself, or on LAN, and makeing your own server is also pretty simple.  

And yea, the hype around this game is pretty insane but it does deserve it, and is a lot cheaper than many steam early access and over hyped game launches.   I have to say at least the startup is insanely challenging.   

Since its a early accsess game, i found it to have a lot of performance issues when i tryed to play it, so im going to wait. And official servers will be wiped all the time.

But man, most of the people im following on twitch is playing it, and it seems really good. Lots of content is there, and the dinosaurs can be hard to fight against. 

I cant wait for it to preform better on by pc, i can imagine playing alot

Got a friend getting a server set up once we figure that out. Should be fun.

i have it been playing it on a friends server, games friggin epic as hell, and tough!.  for a early access its got more features and polish to the mechanics then  most mmos out there. died a TON but its survival :-P. Ya start the game with nothing and goal is to grow your char to dominance

Picked it up earlier and had a quick walk around. It's so very cool and when they get round to optimizing it it's going to be insanely fun. Dinosaurs are just too awesome to not play with.

Blingosaurus Rex!! I am going to go peek at this one!

Well you guys have about convinced me to give it a try. It looks like it is on sale till the 16th so will have to check out some youtube plays on it and see what i think. 

• Like 1

devs pumping out 4-5 patchs a day  constantly working on optimisation

Yeah I watch a guy stream it, popular streamer has his own server. That seems to be the biggest complaint for some, and the biggest intrigue to me. The devs are really actively trying to make the game right. Most early access just drag feet, they are pumping out updates faster than  you can log on.

Friend's server is up and we are walling off a bay to keep the local carnasaurs from visiting us yet again. One tamed dino so far, planning to get a trike very soon.

Looks like a pretty fun game, might buy it.

Insanely fun game. Played 7 hours so far. Small base built, army of 4 dilo's tamed and left to guard my home.

I can see myself playing this for a long time if they developers keep doing things right.

Pros:

Taming - Ride your pets, fly them, make them attack, have them defend, use them to gather materials, name them...having your own pet dinosaurs who level up and protect you is the best feature I've seen in a game in a long, long time. Imagine your favorite horse in Wurm, who you feed and look after. Now imagine it was a level 30 raptor that you can command to attack that guy who just stole some fruit from your farm. Then you hop on your winged dinosaur and give chase from above. After you get your revenge, you notice a mysterious egg on the corpse of the thief. You take it home, hatch it and rear a mighty T-Rex. (Everything except the hatching an egg is already in the game, with breeding soon to come!)

Knock Out - Hitting creatures/players in the head will knock them out before killing them. This can be used as a way to take on tougher opponents, as long as you're accurate. (Yes, you can knock someone out, rob them then leave them for dead) You can even force feed them sleeping berries or other sleeping substances to keep them asleep :D

Servers (at least the one I play on) - Runs very well. No lag whatsoever, even in areas with lots of dinos/players/buildings. Unlike some...actually almost every 'survival mmo'.

Dinosaurs! - Finally, something other than zombies. A LOT more fun too. Could dinosaurs be the new zombies?!? I certainly hope so.

Co-Operative gameplay mechanics - You are going to have a bad time if you don't co-operate.

Hardcore - You're going to dehydrate in the middle of the forest. You're going to run into a pack of 5 dilos. You're going to die.

Progression - As you level up, you choose where to spend your talent points and skill points. You don't get enough to upgrade everything, so again, this encourages teamwork. 1 person focuses on building, 1 on producing weapons, 1 on making saddles, 1 on farming etc.

Beautiful landscape - While the game may have some optimization issues right now, the world itself is beautiful. The jungle is thick and ominous. The beaches are 'safe havens'. Even underwater is great, with the shallow waters around the beach and the deadly, deeper water beyond.

Developers - Everything in their gameplay trailer is ALREADY IN THE GAME. This is HUGE for me. Unlike other developers, they aren't promising the world based on ideas and future updates. They've got a solid base to work from and they are updating the game all the time. (I've had to download several updates each day of around 100-200mb each) If they continue like this, this game is going to be great.

I'm sure there are many more, I'm just going off the top of my head here.

Cons:

Optimization issues - The game takes some tweaking of the settings to get running smoothly, but once you get it, it's great. The devs are working on this every day and I have noticed improvement already.

Leveling - Leveling up can be slow and tedious. I'm level 15 right now after about 6.5 hours on a server...it takes a while to get to the 'good stuff' with no real way of accelerating your levelling. Everything you do gives you XP, although it is pretty slow. The best way I've found so far to 'speed level' is to spam-create cloth hats as they require only 10 fiber and give 1xp each. This isn't fun but it gets the job done. I've heard that there will be the possibility of somehow transferring your character between ARKs (servers) although it either isn't implemented yet or I'm not high enough level. I don't know how this will play out and am quite skeptical about it. I don't want a group of 10 level 50s just jump onto my server, as you can create most items other than bases and taming without much time investment, at least the early items. (You can build an axe in a few seconds, including gathering the readily available materials)

Most of the issues people will find with the game however, aren't game specific but rather genre specific I feel. It is a hardcore, PvP experience and with that comes all of the usual complaints relating to spawn killing, kill on sight, base destruction etc. If you don't enjoy that, either don't play the game or play on a PvE server. This game is still a blast to play on a PvE server, unlike DayZ or Rust, as the NPCs, the dinosaurs, are actually a threat and something to be scared of.

Yeah that teamwork is mad important. 1 vs 3 raptors is death. 2 at least means I might outrun the other player :lol:

• Like 2

Let me sum this game up in 5 words:

Jurassic Lawn Mowing Simulator 2015

• Like 2

Let me sum this game up in 5 words:

Jurassic Lawn Mowing Simulator 2015

Yes, there is a lot of 'walk around looking at the ground mashing the E Key'.

I'd much prefer if the game displayed what berries were on which plants, so I can harvest what I want rather than taking everything.

Angry Bronto vs wooden wall = no more wall

Heh we just got done with moving our base, we had a mighty dino army....

2 Stegos 

4 Trikes

1 Carno

1 Giant croc

2 Raptors

1Bronto 

1 Turtle

Man, was the most disastrous thing I ever did in the game. It was however  funny as hell, the little dilopasaurs would attack one of our cirdders, the Bronto would swing it's  MASSIVE tail and agro eveything in a half mile radious, a general war would ensue.... sometimes a 3 way battle if a few hostile raptors, a Carnosaurus or whatever, would hit us at the same time, drawn in by the massive swarm of swinging tails, womping feet, and screaming raptors.    

This repeated for miles. Eventually we lost our croc to a massive herd of brontos, our 2 stegos died, my best trike drowned, and about 2 hours laters the straggelers finally limped into the new camp, only to be greeted by a pair of hunting T-rex, the battle that ensued left two dead T-rexs and to the loss of one raptor.    

we lost about half our base supplies when one of my buddies drowned when he tried to pull them out of our drowned trike, and then drowned himself.     Then his body vanished when I dragged it to shore...

Well the game isn't without it's bugs but I have to admit, its a blast.   

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 1

Here's a lil video, showing off a group of dinos from Battlepaws tribe.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkvrok7Ktg8

• Like 1

Here's a lil video, showing off a group of dinos from Battlepaws tribe.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkvrok7Ktg8

2:14, Bronto does 2 craps right ontop of you.

Also, how long did it take you guys to tame your bronto and carno?

Edited by iiTurtlez

Heh we just got done with moving our base, we had a mighty dino army....

2 Stegos 

4 Trikes

1 Carno

1 Giant croc

2 Raptors

1Bronto 

1 Turtle

Man, was the most disastrous thing I ever did in the game. It was however  funny as hell, the little dilopasaurs would attack one of our cirdders, the Bronto would swing it's  MASSIVE tail and agro eveything in a half mile radious, a general war would ensue.... sometimes a 3 way battle if a few hostile raptors, a Carnosaurus or whatever, would hit us at the same time, drawn in by the massive swarm of swinging tails, womping feet, and screaming raptors.    

This repeated for miles. Eventually we lost our croc to a massive herd of brontos, our 2 stegos died, my best trike drowned, and about 2 hours laters the straggelers finally limped into the new camp, only to be greeted by a pair of hunting T-rex, the battle that ensued left two dead T-rexs and to the loss of one raptor.    

we lost about half our base supplies when one of my buddies drowned when he tried to pull them out of our drowned trike, and then drowned himself.     Then his body vanished when I dragged it to shore...

Well the game isn't without it's bugs but I have to admit, its a blast.   

Holy Crap, well not that you can't get an army back again, but at least I got it on film before your devastation.

2:14, Bronto does 2 craps right ontop of you.

Also, how long did it take you guys to tame your bronto and carno?

I haven't played much at all. Battlepaw can answer any questions you have.

Edited by fatboy