Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Increase WeaponSmithing Skill gain and Other Options

Due to the recent Enchantment Decay applied to weapons, it seems only reasonable to also increase the skill gain on Weaponsmithing.

While an enchantment decay on tools is one thing, as they dont share the same skill gain rates as weapons, implementing enchant decay on weapons is a different animal. Since ultimately if enchant decay starts taking more weapons out of the game, then players need an increased capacity to create non enchanted weapons to compensate for the loss.

Also add in the ability for non priests, crafters of high enough level, to impart natural bonuses to items and weapons.

These bonuses are due to, that crafters innate ability to craft superior items and the techniques they use to create such items and weapons, to the layman, are by default, considered magic.

Edited by sunsvortex

I'm not (yet) feeling nerfed if Ws skillgain would be faster - being just stepping on the road to weaponsmithing - I think it is good to have extra hard skills. Weapon prices already on par with the much easier to get bs/shield ones which says to me there is no big need for a lot of new weaponsmiths... Market seems in balance to me, I wouldn't even mind a slight price increase. I doubt a huge shatter rate increase, higher level priests are working quite safe.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

ya right -1

the people who have put the work in will reap the benefits, no reason to make it easier, will just make the economy worse

• Like 1

Some people have spent most of their playtime dedicated to weaponsmithing.  To make it easier for everyone because of a bug fix with enchant decay is stupid.

(I'm not a weaponsmith before anyone uses my objection to claim such)

-1 Ws is meant to be tough. Prices are already very low and have fallen significantly just in my play time (+2 years).

I don't see WS skill gain related to enchant decay.

• Like 1

If your going to have enchant decay on weapons match the enchant decay on tools, why not have the skill gains match as well. There is no reason to say weapons are more important than tools, in fact, a really good argument could be made that tools are much more important than weapons so why do they have a better skill gain rate?

Due to the recent Enchantment Decay applied to weapons, it seems only reasonable to also increase the skill gain on Weaponsmithing.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. Sorry but i dont see how ws skillgain effects rare enchantment decay on weapons. 

-1 fine as is. Ws is supposed to be hard.

• Like 2

I dont even see the connection between WS skillgain and the enchantment decay... o.O

One thing has nothing to do with the other. Sorry but i dont see how ws skillgain effects rare enchantment decay on weapons. 

-1 fine as is. Ws is supposed to be hard.

Read the post above yours

Its about lifecycle, garbage in garbage out.

Increasing weaponsmithing skillgain should have an overall affect of increasing the amount of available decent ql weapons, while the enchant decay removes the high end weapons.

IE there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have weaponsmithing skill gain be so radically different from blacksmithing, or from carpentry or from any other skill as far as thats concerned.

As best anyone can tell the enchant decay on weapons matches that of enchant decay on tools. -So why shouldnt the skillgain be the same as well.

The goal being a balanced number of items within the game with suitable alternatives to having the perma enchanted high end weapons.

Edited by sunsvortex

I see no relation between Weaponsmithing skill gains and enchant quality decrease from use upon weapons. With this sort of logic skill gains should be increased on all items that have enchantments that loose quality from use. Better to just remove all enchanted quality reductions from use from the game, as I suggested here:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/124725-remove-enchantment-quality-loss/

=Ayes=

Rough approximation of life cycle of items

YVrCfpb.png

This is whats it is about. It has nothing whatsoever to do with weaponsmithing being hard.

Garbage in Garbage out - plain and simple.

If you put a decay on weapon enchants you effectively create a Combo 1.5

((Enchant > decay > re enchant) x INFINITY) Which also puts the item at risk for being immediately taken out of the game via a bad cast that shatters the item.

So ultimately , and over time, more items will be removed from the game, specifically weapons and thier enchants. So Increasing weaponsmithing skill gain rates in combination with allowing some type of natural bonuses to be applied by the crafter allow people not to have to have thier pockets picked by all the priests, and if implemented correctly allows a much faster lifecycle and there fore much easier control over the number of high end items in the game.

Just to be clear, there is no reason to have the natural bonuses be just as good as priests enchants, but they could easily be tied to dmg rates on the item and decay as well and not be stackable.

Edited by sunsvortex

-1  I'm not an weaponsmith  my self but its good to have a harder skill that is not that common,keeps some kind of bussines going.If everyone would be able to grind it then the market goes too.

No, the market doesnt go, no no no no, it creates a mid level market.

We have basicly 2 types of markets now.

Enchanted and non enchanted.

Enchanted has the lions share of activity, by any measurement.

Non enchanted may get some items sold but normaly only if there are no enchanted item of the same flavor available or people just dont have the cash to purchase them.

If suggestion in OP would be implemented  we create a third market

Non enchanted, natural bonus.

Not as good as Full enchant, not as bad as non enchant and it plays well with over all lifecycle balance.

Edited by sunsvortex

There is merit here.  When you consider that people are more likely to toss out an old weapon in favor of just buying a new one with high imp and high enchants now, rather than sending the old one in for a complete refurbish.  It always costs more to do a custom job, than just buy what is already made and in stock.

This means more weapons will be needed now.

Previously, when enchants never decayed, almost everyone would just send a weapon back to WS for an imp, which generally would cost less than buying a new weapon, or would often be imped for free, which is what I started doing for friends/allies.

I have a WS alt and am very conscious of the potential value decrease, but I think if the difficulty were lowered a bit... not to the same level as other skill, but a bit, to help compensate, it would be fair.

So by your logic skills like Armour smiting and leather working and cloth tailoring should be made harder as enchants on those items do not decay. making weapon is the easy part in any enchanted weapon. casting takes way more effort than making weapons. a 80ql weapon takes like 10min to make.

I would so feel for the 90+ weaponsmiths out there who's hard work at reaching that mark would become nerfed.

There should be a challenging skill in Wurm for the crazy grinders out there. I think weaponsmithing is that skill and it should remain that skill.

So by your logic skills like Armour smiting and leather working and cloth tailoring should be made harder as enchants on those items do not decay. making weapon is the easy part in any enchanted weapon. casting takes way more effort than making weapons. a 80ql weapon takes like 10min to make.

No, by my logic, Enchant Decay should be turned on. Thier skillgain is fine. Its well known that Weaponsmithing skill gain rates are ridiculous and there simply is no reason to have them this high given that decay is the same vs tools and enchant decay is now the same as tools. So if you then look at lifecycle, the logical conclusion is that skill gain on weaponsmithing should be relaxed to more appropriate levels for balance.

Look at it like this , your making an item that has the same level of dmg decay as any tool, the same enchant decay as any tool, tools are by far more important as one can technically play the game (PVE) without a weapon, but it is not possible to play the game without tools. So if tools are clearly more important and easier to make why have weapons that are so much harder to make?

Take for instance making a sword in RL. Its easy, every kid in a highschool welding class can make one. Now have those same kids make a tool, like pliers or an adjustable wrench or a phillips head screwdriver, or a claw hammer. Tools are by default much harder  and more complex to make than a sharpened piece of metal with a handle attached to it.

Wait, why are we punishing those people who worked hard for their weaponsmithing skills?

Wouldn't it make more sense to make enchanting easier if enchants wear off?

Besides, the market has tons of 90+ weaponsmiths, anyway. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't it make more sense to make enchanting easier if enchants wear off?

Yes, much more sense. Good idea there. Pretty simple to accomplish as well with adjustments made to enchant wear from use.

=Ayes=

garbage in garbage out seems to fit for forum posts too.  -1

-1 and a big hell no. How would this be anyway fair to the poor sob's that lost countless brain cells getting to 90+.

Fairness is irrelevant. Wurm suffers for having ultra-slow skill gains. I say this as a titled weaponsmith. Rate should be raised.

Also, there is no economy, who are people trying to kid.

Edited by Elen

Elen if there is no economy how the hell are my merchants doing 30s to 50s a month?