Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Free Windows 10 upgrade

reserved a copy, wont upgrade for a while after until I hear all the nasties about it.

Booted up my laptop that came with Windows 8. It doesn't get the option. Though I use that portable heat generator so infrequently, it doesn't much matter. MS-DOS 6.11 would overheat that piece of junk. LOL

Reminder tomorrow 7/29/15 for Windows 10 update. Lets hope it works well :P

Windows 10 is great but as with all things Microsoft, I'd wait a month before jumping on it.  Let the early adopters deal with the inevitable bugs, I figure.

I've been running W10 Insider Preview since day one on my one PC and honestly have had no problems until the most recent pre-rel version.

• Like 1

Skynet is coming. :)

Just remember - when something (commercial) is free, you are the product.

• Like 6

I'm do for my yearly (or so) system wipe... tempted to download, install, burn the usual backup/recovery discs.. then go back to win7 while the win10 issues (and there wil be some) are worked out.  Just don't want to miss the window on the free legit copy. :P

I guess we might see a bunch of problems in tech tomorrow with everyone changing things around but i am going to give it a go since people have already been playing wurm with it and that is about all i do is play wurm and watch youtube on my pc anyway. 

• Like 1

I made a partition image. I'm good to go and then come back if needed.

Skynet is coming. :)

Just remember - when something (commercial) is free, you are the product.

Or with Google/Apple phones, you pay a nice huge fee to be the product!

terminator-skynet_00258822.jpg

Edited by Audrel

To be honest, I got excited about what Microsoft was doing, and Windows 10, soon as I heard we can finally resize the cmd window any which way we want.

I think Ballmer was just a place holder to manage the mountains of money MS had at the time.

They finally have a techie back in charge and I think that's going to show.

I've used every version of windows since 3.1 (and dos before that) except for windows 8/8.1   Metro just wasn't for me, Ballmer sounded like a complete doofus (it's like magic yall!) and I felt the whole thing was another Vista-like Bloatware.

The decisions they've made while developing Windows 10, on the other hand, leads me to believe it will be a modernized windows 7, likely leaner and cleaner.

Will it have bugs?  Of course.  I think the only thing that might have been released without bugs was Tetris, and I'm not even sure about that.

ps.  I also own a Mac and think OsX is exceedingly well polished.  That OS is free as well nowadays I believe.  The mo tools in the shed the mo better.

I think the problem with Windows 8/8.1 is they designed a desktop OS for a telephone. Honestly, how many of you all have a touch screen on your desktop? Outside my phone and tablet, I don't. Screen are notorious for collecting oils from skin. Remember the old (maybe still current?) rule of "Hover!! Do not touch the screens!"

From what I've seen and read, there really isn't a reason not to upgrade to Windows 10 except for a few things you'll be losing. Which I don't use anyway. But as others mentioned, I will wait a while and see if there are any major kinks that need worked out first.

Still waiting on mine. Has anyone gotten their upgrade yet?

QKBu13y.jpg

i have my upgrade. Here this is how to force it to upgrade   Find the Command prompt     then type this in it  

1. wuauclt.exe /updatenow

Enjoy.   Also this upgrade was great, went from windows 7 and windows 8.1.  0 compatability issues. 0 reinstalls of anything. 0 issues with the upgrade. Desktops the same as i had them, i lost 0.  the os its self is friggin nice, its windows 7 with windows 8 combined and runs alot faster and better. Very easy to find stuff, Cortana is fun too mess with, BUt also!   you get a apps store and can play tablet games on your pc, can also sync your pc to your xbox and tablets. its truly a epic OS and a good one. which is rare, because ive always had issues with windows and upgrades and this time i had none, everything works great!.       So once ya do as i said above, itll open windows update and force it to download windows 10 and then you can upgrade to it, takes roughly one hour, only have to click twice through it, Honestly i cant find any friggin bugs with this build at all, im friggin amazed.

Edited by fatboy

As a rule of thumb from the past Windows versions, as a techsupport kinda guy I always recommend to all customers to wait until the SP1 at least - let others be the beta testers :)

Additionally I cannot stand the utterly disgusting ugly visuals of the 8-8.1-10 - it might be a personal hate but it is very unprofessional to me and looks like drawn by a kid age of 5.

The new icon set is horrible, the flat look of Office 2013 with the unseparated mess as well.

So for me Windows7 as long as possible if absolutely needed to be on Win platform - at home I'm on Ubuntu for years already, unintentionally but stuck :P (needed to install to recover an NTFS partition on a drive which failed and been corrupted big time - it is quite funny that Linux just shrugs and does the jobs where Windows BSODs on a native file system - and I never switched back to my dual boot Win7).

Edited by Jaz

kk, I partly believe you - still I'm old and not jumping into new versions :P

Microsoft tries to replace normal applications and programs with windows apps only available in the windows app store controlled by microsoft programmed with microsoft tools. I'm not a fan, but it works for apple I guess.

Edited by Edge

TY for the links, i've upgraded and works fine.

down loaded beta months ago just never installed it 

Well i got it installed on my home pc tonight and so far it is doing good. I opted to wipe my pc so i am downloading everything again and with my slow isp it is taking a long time to get wurm downloaded again, lol

The only thing i have come across so far is with nivida like was posted already it is working but had some troubles with it. I guess they will get it figured out with time the rest i like so far but it will take me a while to get everything figured out.  

I finally got 10 in. What a hellish upgrade experience that was!

I have to say, it runs very well. It runs my hardware very well. It makes me wonder why Windows 7, which I praised as golden beyond gold, didn't run my hardware this well.

EDIT:

My advice? Follow the link Niki posted

If your having troubles downloading, its safe to download here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then uninstall your AV (don't worry, you are shutting your internet off too), unplug everything but your mouse and keyboard, do a "clean boot" and have nothing at all running, absolutely nothing, that is visible when you "hide Windows services." You will thank yourself. Your forehead will thank you. And your desk will thank you for not banging your forehead on it. Then don't forget to reinstall your AV!

Edited by Audrel

I have to say that the memory is much better with windows 10. I have not changed my settings any and it is running at 620mb and it use to be double that for one client for me so it runs wurm much better for sure as far as memory goes. 

Not sure about any traveling since i have not been out anywhere yet.