Sign in to follow this  
Delisira

Cave Paving/Walling

So, tunnels are a common thing in Wurm. Wouldn't it be great if we could pave in caves? I thought it could be possible, though it would be more difficult to do then out of a tunnel, being that stone is harder to work with then just dirt. 

First, a cave floor would have to be reinforced. To make sure that it does not move, and the beams does give you something to put nails on. 

Then, depending on the type of floor you want to build, you are going to need paving skill (same paving as that which is required for a house. 

Paving a mine with stone would require 30 Paving. 
However, it also comes at an extra cost. Wood floors would work the same as houses, but stone floors would add an extra ingredient, floor boards to cover the space between the beams. Then, you lay your bricks or slabs on top. 

In addition, being able to also put up walls on reinforced cave walls. Say, stone brick walls, or Wood Plank walls. (like housing) 

Tilewide, the same textures could be used for house floors and cave floors, walls also. (No windows or doors, or anything that is not 'full solid floor' would work however!) 

This could allow caves to become much more beautiful then they are, and would also be relevant to what could be found in the world. 

Now, the problem to solve is that of the 'wall height' of a mine. Well. That can be a small problem indeed, but just being able to outline the first row of walls with a 'first floro level' floor would still make some mines look much better. 

Imagine... Stone brick walls along a tunnel, with silver lamps hanging from their chains sticking out from the walls, a nice, beautiful slate floor where you can go at full speed through that tunnel... 

The things people could do with that could be amazing! 

I hope this suggestion reaches the right ears! and the new collision system might actually even allow such now, who knows? 

Edited: Walls in a cave would not have to reach its ceiling, and would be built only on Reinforced Walls, so they can't be used to 'block off' tunnels. They have to be built right in front of a reinforced stone wall. 

Edited by Delisira
  • Like 1

yeah that sounds good +1

Mıne rails and carts would be nice too :) Instead of riding a wagon in a narrow mine just so you can pick more than few ores...

+1 as well.

I think this sounds largely cosmetic... maybe keep the art team busy during the debugging  :P

Community tunnels are taken pretty seriously in this game.  They are even protected landmarks.  It'd be pretty cool if they could be decorated and beautified in some fashion as well.  Sort of the icing on the structural cake.

With how people treat tunnels in wurm, even my idea for Paving with bricks would pass well. As long as they can do it, they wouldn't care if it meant adding a flooboard to put the bricks on! hehe

I want tile borders inside mines too ! -> build fences / or even walls maybe (depending on height)

+1 as well.

I think this sounds largely cosmetic... maybe keep the art team busy during the debugging  :P

Community tunnels are taken pretty seriously in this game.  They are even protected landmarks.  It'd be pretty cool if they could be decorated and beautified in some fashion as well.  Sort of the icing on the structural cake.

for decoration you can start placing treillis against the walls inside tunnels  B)

+1

Good idea to make tunnels and mines look prettier!

I would love to be able to put fence gates in mines.

The mine reinforcing timbers can be put on the ground, maybe that could tide you over until we can pave.

with 3d mines being planned aeons into the future, the developers may not be too keen on augmenting the current system.
that said, lets be realistic.

great idea.

+1

from me.