Sign in to follow this  
Tinkerer

Random new lawn tiles

I've noticed that over the last few days, a lot of (previously) grass tiles with trees growing on them have suddenly turned to lawn tiles - with the tree still there.

One such tile for example shows: "Birch tree, the lawn is neatly trimmed" but there is no 'nature' menu section with sickle activated to prune or harvest etc. Examining the tile gives me  "[07:44:59] You see an old Birch tree.". I can activate hatchet and chop the tree down, pack the ground, cultivate it, plant flowers, plant a new sprout, but...what is producing these lawn tiles or why are they becoming lawn on their own?

Another Edit:

This seems to be happening exclusively with Birch trees. Over 50% of the birch trees in my deed now have Lawn tiles under them.

Edited by Tinkerer

This is odd. What server are you on?

I have a deed on Indy with a large grove of birch (maybe 50 trees) but I have nothing like this, I went running around looking for at least one or two but there are no lawn tiles on my birches.

Is there any chance a human is doing this? It may not be malicious, just someone curious and inquisitive. Do you have villagers, allies, or permissions that would allow a non villager to make lawn? I am thinking I do not get any "Nature" submenu on lawn tiles but I have none currently with trees to confirm that is true for things like harvesting etc. (well, checked wiki and it says you cannot fo any Nature submenu actuions on a lawn tile so that part may be normal).

You might need to file a /support ticket for someone to inspect or maybe Alectrys can make a note for staff if she knows your deed location.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I've not seen this myself, but head someone else mention that a tree of theirs went to young and was on a lawn tile instead of a grass tile.  This is difficult to reproduce at will, but I'll keep an eye on it.  If you'd like you can mention your server/deed here or you can send me a forum PM with the information for further investigation.  Thanks for the report.

No chance it is someone else. a) its on my deed with no public permissions, and B) some tiles are completely fenced in.

As for server, this is on my GV account that I have noticed this, and it's only been happening the last few days. I would guess something happened with the recent alteration to lawns reverting in the latest update.

Most curiously, it only seems to occur with Birch trees - on deed and in perimeter. Haven't checked elsewhere as yet.

Edited by Tinkerer

Thanks for the info.  I'll make note of this and see if it's a GV thing only or if it's happening elsewhere.  Thanks for your report.

A funny thing happened on the way to my perimeter  :D

I have a young birch tree growing on a lawn tile.  I don't even use lawn on my deed.  Adding as a bug with GV and Independence so far.

Glad it's not just me then that has noticed this :)

Yes... I do not use lawn either.. never have. I like to be able to botanise and forage those tiles haha. I'll check around a bit late on to see if it also happens off deed.

Yes.. off deed too.  About 40-50% of Birch trees of all ages on lawn tiles.

Possibly this is far more noticeable on GV given that everything is 3x faster (tree growth, decay and so on)

I would hazard a guess that it occurs when the tree dies and regrows from sapling or something - somehow wrongly being treated as an old lawn tile to be reverted to lawn.

Having never used lawn, can you even plant a tree on a lawn tile?

Edited by Tinkerer

You can't plant a tree on lawn, but you can cut lawn under as tree. Strange Science. 

I checked a different deed of mine and found some of these, offdeed. This one is low elevation waterfront, I will check more closely on my higher elevation deed too. So far only brand new birch saplings seem affected on mine. You mention though having an Old birchlawn, plus a lot more of them. 

Maybe related to this "fix" a few days ago?

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/124232-mail-outside-containers/#entry1277089

• Made it so lawn off deed is less likely to revert back to grass.

Except .. it maybe didn't do what they thought it would do :P and I don;t know why "only" birch unless birch just grows faster and is affected first, or birch is more buggy by nature (I am sure there is an unintended pun in there someplace). There was a different birch bug where new trees at low elevations were all coming in as birch, a number of months ago. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Well, trees age much much faster on Golden Valley. Everything including decay is several (3?) times faster than other servers - Hence it is likely to be more noticeable and trees have already grown to 'old' since that update.

Yes, I too believe it is from the lawns part of the last update as I mentioned before. The lawns have only been appearing since then.

As for only birch, yes they are the quickest growing, but given the speed of growth I would have also expected to see Pines and maybe some others on Lawn tiles by now, but there are none. It still seems to be exclusively birch trees. Also, these are not 'newly planted' but part of my tree-sprout farm. They grow old die and regrow. Presumably it is during this cycle that the lawn kicks in. Especially if on other servers they are all still just 'young' birches.

Yes on my deed that has this it appears only to have been birch trees that aged, shriveled, and only just regrew a new one.

There was a "birch tree bug" where trees were aging and shrivelling and dying at an accelerated rate then the new tree would be birch regardless of what the old tree was. It might have been only at certain elevations. 

I've identified 5 instances of this for the devs with help of the details here.  A fix should be coming soon and I'll rely on your help again for verification.

Sure.. no problem. Will be glad to be rid of the lawn tiles.. and testing if it it fixed will be much easier on GV. (as and when it is)

Can't you wild growth trees to cycle all ages including shriveled to young to test it?

Can't you wild growth trees to cycle all ages including shriveled to young to test it?

Wild growth on shriveled gets you a grass tile - and it wasn't lawn ;)

Oh... not only birch trees...

Just found it has happened to half of my olive trees now too... guess they have taken longer because they grow slower..

And fir trees...and willow trees... it's becoming quite the epidemic....

Other trees which have just regrown don't seem to have been affected though (unless it is only a % chance to turn to lawn at the regrowth stage)

Edited by Tinkerer

Its going to be a nightmare if they can't be 'reconverted' to grass tiles automatically by code.. forcing mass deforestation to remove these lawn pesky tiles.

I haven't noticed random lawn, but I haven't been watching for it. What I have seen is a lot of magic grass tiles turning to plain grass, without being trampled in between. Also, one sprouted a tree and became grass.

I've now got lawn tiles appearing under my Fir trees on Independence too.

This should be fixed for any 'newly' auto-planted sprouts.  I'm hoping that what you are currently seeing is trees that cycled before the fix.

Ah.. I didn't see any mention of it in recent change logs.

In which case, I'll fell all the trees and get rid of all existing lawn tiles, replant and check that they don't return.

• Like 1

Found a few lawn tiles on my deeds, on perimeter and outside it.

Some trees are in fenced in areas, nobody on deed haven't trimmed any grass under any tree.

All trees are old or very old birch trees, some sprouting, some not; I didn't cut down any of those trees lately to replant them, some are there, regrowing, in over a year and a half now.

Can be checked on Pristine, Rosenrot and/or Port-refuge deeds.

Note:

I don't have lawn anywhere on my deeds, I only have a very trusted villager, who didn't play trim and run anywhere (barely can make him move from the forge), one of my deeds is fenced in and permissions don't allow outsiders to do anything on deeds.

Edited by Evening