Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Why All The Large Gold Sales?

None of the money would be in the game if Rolf did not sell it so he knows exactly what is going on. He knows what people are buying and can change/adjust the redistribution at any time that he feels he is not earning enough.  

Your really trying to say that when someone withdraws 500 EU cash from wurm that they actually put all of it back into the game?

What are you talking about? When someone sells 5 gold to another player...the gold gets transferred to another player. If there's some "Withdraw Bank Account Balance to PayPal" button please let me know because apparently I've been playing the game the wrong way.

• Like 2

As far as the recirculation I think it is a good thing. Unlike the MMO's mentioned by a previous poster, this MMO all the silver in game is generated by shop purchases. There is no way to produce NEW silver into the game without purchasing it from the wurm shop. Therefore the devs have already been paid for it. Rolf can go in and adjust how much gets recirculated so he can do things to regulate the economy should things go out of whack. Wurm has one of the most, if not THE most stable in game economy I have ever seen.

That is just downright wrong, there were a lot of people drawing silver out of traders.. and now a lot of people forage for rare coins nonstop.. at least it looks like it

Might just be small amounts here and there but it adds up i guess

Edited by Nachtmahr

That is just downright wrong, there were a lot of people drawing silver out of traders.. and now a lot of people forage for rare coins nonstop.. at least it looks like it

Might just be small amounts here and there but it adds up i guess

You are aware those coins people find or receive from traders is from a pool of silver attained by silver premiuming and deed upkeep, right?  And those silvers were originally purchased by the cash store, right?

The copper they're getting all was, at one time, purchased from the cash store.

You are aware those coins people find or receive from traders is from a pool of silver attained by silver premiuming and deed upkeep, right?  And those silvers were originally purchased by the cash store, right?

The copper they're getting all was, at one time, purchased from the cash store.

Guess I had some false information then... I stand corrected

What are you talking about? When someone sells 5 gold to another player...the gold gets transferred to another player. If there's some "Withdraw Bank Account Balance to PayPal" button please let me know because apparently I've been playing the game the wrong way.

This made me understand.

*Feels stoopid* :P

Aye the reason most mmos in the past banned gold selling was (aside from them losing money) the massive impact it had on a game's economy.

Inflation on a massive scale. No to mention other issues with "gold-farming" in general.

Wurm's money as items tied to generation by RL money kind of helps to restrict this.

If anything over the years, prices have actually gone down rather than up (crazy ass crafters... I'm looking at you, Vean).

Hi,

me myself is just a small light in the world of Wurm, but regarding I rarely ever sell stuff (I usually donate to friends for free), I have still about 1G on my banks. And could easily double this with selling our supremes, would we ever want to do.
As I pay all premiums via shop (i.e. with real money), and nearly never buy stuff from other players, it accumulates over time. A small sale here, a tip there, a happy trader return that doesn't get used up all for upkeep, it grows and grows.

And such I feel quite rich. It helps not to spent money for drake armor and crazily enchanted weapons, instead we spent some time to skill and are killing our trolls now in cloth, and with vanilla gear ;-)

But I have seen friends high skilled in certain trades, and with better trade skill/ desire then ours. They made quite a buck in a rather short time. Being one of the "high guys" in a certain trade is a license to print Silver, it seems.
So many ppl buying stuff for good coins! It has to be rare, or of high QL, and/or with most high enchants. Status symbols?

Anyways, this is how to make money to drown in. Make high QL/ rare stuff, put high enchants on it, and sell for a small fortune. And then sell the Gold.

Edit: Why they seem now to sell their Gold, I don't no either.

Have fun!

Edited by Xandra

Rolf is very generous in the way he allows opportunities for other players to in the end make real life currency from playing the game, as evidenced by other players selling off silver/gold coins by undercutting Wurm Shop prices. When I notice a spike in these sales it arouses my curiosity as to the cause, meaning the source of these funds (silver/gold coins).

One thing not mentioned by others that now comes to mind is these Unique drops of bones and those book things. They are some of the most expensive items sold on the forums and then would give those individuals a large surplus of silver/gold. Then perhaps oddly they want some sort of secrecy and sell this silver/gold through alts. All speculation on my part of course.

In the end what makes this silver/gold so desirable is that it can either be sold off for monetary gains outside of the game (making money by playing the game) or it can be used to pay for Premium time, Deed placement and upkeep. There is a way to alter this cycle and make the in-game economy more of an in-game economy. That would be to remove the ability of paying for Premium, Deed placement and upkeep with silver/gold coins. How? Change it so that Premium time, Deed placement and upkeep can only be paid directly from the Wurm Shop. Then silver/gold coins would only be used for player trade, i.e. the Wurm "economy".

Yes, this would alter drastically they way silver/gold coins function from the current situation, reducing their attractiveness to sell off to others due to less demand, since it would then be more of an in-game currency for trade between players. The profit making potential for playing the game would be reduced significantly in terms of translating funds out of the game into other currencies and that draw to play the game would be reduced in turn. No need to ban the selling of silver/gold by players or be much concerned about the circulation of it since this approach would make it more self contained within the game for player trade.

The problem with the way silver/gold coins function within Wurm is that they are only on the surface an in-game currency, so I see this as a better way to make it actually be one. Not too happy of a situation for those who transition their silver/gold into other currencies and export it from the game but you can't please everyone, I suppose. Also for those who supplement their Wurm expenses by paying for them with silver/gold obtained in game.

Just idle thoughts, as switching to this type of system would cause a lot of upheaval within the player base and on that level not be the best idea. The game would have to be setup this way initially to avoid all this conflict of interests anyway, so as Roseannadanna would say, never mind...

=Ayes=

Seemingly newbie accounts could be nothing more then proxy alts for veterans. There are people out there who want to be anonymous. 

I suspect there are a lot of players who sell a few coins once year in order to buy one year sub on crafter, priest and deed upkeep for a year.

If you banned selling silver, you'd just get a lot of veterans with loads of coin they can't do anything with, which sounds like a recipe for landwhoring, griefing deeds, etc.

• Like 1

I do agree though there has been large volume sales of gold lately.

So many semantics:

tl;dr

No, people who resell gold don't directly take money out of CC's account.  

They do compete directly with, and undercut CC for revenues from wurmonline.com website.

Never bought from them, doubt I ever will.  May have my differences with Rolf but if I'm gonna spend on Wurm, sending that cash in straight for development and adding new silver to the system.

Selling accounts I do get.... selling gold itself it kinda irks me, but..  comes with playing Wurm.  "Enjoy it while it lasts".  Trick is buying my sub one month at a time... I do keep upkeeps months ahead in advance, do know it's recoverable.

im gonna have to say im guessing there selling before people here try and make a fake poll to try and close it off. in any case thats my two cents

im gonna have to say im guessing there selling before people here try and make a fake poll to try and close it off. in any case thats my two cents

No worries there. Rolf allows gold selling because he believes it's the right thing for the Players (as I understand his motives and he has communicated them). I doubt gold selling will stop... in fact it would literally floor me if Rolf changed the policy.

(and I'm saying this as a diehard member of the opposition to players buying and selling gold! )

Edited by geode

As I see it, it is a good thing. If all in-game silver/gold had to be purchased from the shop, then there would, over time, be more and more silver/gold pumped into the system.

Player X wants 50 silver. Option 1: buy from the shop, spends real $$. Game world now has an extra 50s in it. (much like printing more bank notes in an economy). Option 2: Buy from another player. This is just shifting $$ from buyer to seller, and the 50s from seller to buyer. Game system is no richer, and no poorer. The game economy is not altered, there is no inflation, but the devs are $$ less well off from loss of a purchase,

Using in-game silver to buy premium (at a premium rate) or plant deeds is also a good thing. It allows those without wallets to still play and enjoy the game, using their services and in-game time to earn the coin from other paying players.

With regard to other MMO's.. the reason it doesn't work, is that in-game money is constantly created within the game system and they try to balance it against the various gold sinks, but allowing gold farming and trading gold breaks this balance. Games such as this will have natural inflation as the game world ages.

Why are the sums on offer increasing now? Well.. I can only put forward that the high end of the player base is producing much more valuable items, and various deeds are so much more developed than they ever were due to more work having been put into them, Some things have a much higher value than before. But, it's all relative to supply and demand.

Lots of interesting thoughts here. I just sold 4g,which is my first big gold sale. I bought much more than that over the years, so I am still way behind. My current goal is to scale back. I got far too invested in this game and too much to be casual fun anymore. I want to be able to take a week or two off and not be so afraid of accounts and deeds expiring / losing value. Scaling back is what will help me bring the fun back.

• Like 3