Sign in to follow this  
bwg

General Feeback

Hey everyone, I've started this thread to gather some general feedback on the content of the Wurmpedia.

My intention is not to start huge debates in this thread, just to gather some feedback only.

If you feel your comment or suggestion would end up in a large discussion, please post a new thread to avoid cluttering.

Cheers!

These points were made by LorraineJ in another thread, I've moved them here for reference.

It looks like some work was already done in the wiki. I didn't like how some pages would say: grab x and y items, and use them on each other, and then Additional materials are xyz. I'd rather see Total Materials for all the buildables. It gets confusing to see Additional, and there were some mistakes. I think Tall Iron Fence was wrong? Something that needed three metal parts led you to believe you only needed two.

This should already be completed for items that require >2 base components, if you see any more feel free to let me know (PM) or go ahead and edit them yourself changing the {Item for {ItemBox.

How about a page for best tools to bust stuff up. Like Large Maul for stone, Huge Axe for wood, troll clubs for everything if you don't want to damage your tools, carving knives for whatever they are best for, IDK all the things, etc.

We already have a page for Damage which could be elaborated on, at the moment there is a mention of a large maul but the list could definitely be expanded on.

Edited by bwg

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the wiki, and it has been a great help to me.

My only complaint would be the in-game wiki.

• Like 1

Aye main things holding the ingame wiki back imho would be hyperlinks and formatting, especially tables. Granted that's more something for Devs.

I suppose it would be handy to get someone completely in the raw or inexperienced with the game to help identify weak areas.

Problem for more 'veteran' players is their experience creates such blindspots, at least as far as proofreading goes.

Even that can vary among new players, everyone has their individual knowledge and past experiences.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the wiki, and it has been a great help to me.

My only complaint would be the in-game wiki.

The in-game Wiki, as many know, is accessed in two methods.

•  "What's this?" which pulls data about an item from the Item namespace.  The intentional disconnect is there because we do not want an overload of text, most of which cannot be interpreted by the client, appearing in the client from detailed pages, but more of a brief overview.  Part of the team's role will be to make sure correct and relevant information appears on both the Main and Item pages.
  • Via the default "H" key, which displays a basic rendering of the term entered.  Unfortunately this doesn't allow for navigating through the Wurmpedia via hyperlinks, so one must be specific in their search.

Wurmpedia is a terrifc tool, if you know how to use it and what to look for.

My one suggestion is this: consistency - for example, some items list additional materials needed and some list total materials required - and some have both.

Edited by Baloo

Wurmpedia is a terrifc tool, if you know how to use it and what to look for.

My one suggestion is this: consistency - for example, some items list additional materials needed and some list total materials required - and some have both.

Hi Baloo, please could you point me to a few examples so I can get them updated ASAP.  I believe I'd captured all of these quite some time ago, the only remaining pages that require template updates are ones with no additional materials.  These are periodically updated but have no impact to the end-user.

Thanks,

bwg

Hi bwg,

I take it back !  Checked nearly all the furniture items - looking good now ! Well done ! 

Skill requirement on small tripod table is missing tho' ...

It might also be an idea to add to the containers, like coffer and cupboard, which items can be stored in them and point out that items take damage in them (which is a real shame btw).

Cheers,

Skill requirement on small tripod table is missing tho' ...

It might also be an idea to add to the containers, like coffer and cupboard, which items can be stored in them and point out that items take damage in them (which is a real shame btw).

Skill requirements for item creation isn't something we can proactively update as it requires having access to a character at different skill levels to check, often this is left to the player- base to add information as and when it's found.  A suggestion has been made to me that we have some kind of table for all items on creation percentages, this is definitely something we'll review in the future.

We do have a container page which lists most of them and how many 'simple' or common items they can hold.  Listing every single container and all of the items it can hold will be a monstrous task and I would never ask anyone to undertake such a feat.  Getting a general idea of the volume a container can hold would suffice in this case and can be seen on the aforementioned page.

Thanks for your input!

You are most welcome.  That container page is very useful - although, BSBs, FSBs, large and small crates seem to be missing.  Also a link to "Ships" might be useful, as it shows their holding capacities

Edited by Baloo

what should the oficial stance be in removing old information vs. adding lines that say "this is not true"?

when i see a line on any page saying "this is not true" after something that either used to be true and changed or was never true,my reaction its to delete those lines and just leave whatever is true. but maybe there is some reason to leaves outdated information i dont know about. i never understood why people ever does that.

That is why we have this forum and the talk pages. Also, stuff like that will be tested/confirmed by the Wiki team.

These points were made by LorraineJ in another thread, I've moved them here for reference.

This should already be completed for items that require >2 base components, if you see any more feel free to let me know (PM) or go ahead and edit them yourself changing the {Item for {ItemBox.

This was a bad change and should be reverted! Total materials was already in the center of the page. Start materials and additional materials should be what is in the sidebar, the same info that is in the crafting window!!!