Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Innate Powers : A Channeling Buff

So you just ground up to 40 channeling, was it worth it?  Well probably not since 40-50 is a nightmare for anyone save vynora or someone willing to fork out a fortune for gems and you don't really notice that much difference till you do hit 50.  This is a little something to change that, to reward people who do take the time to grind up channeling in a much more tangible way.

This suggestion adds a set of unlockable innate powers (akin to meditation in that they are cooldown restricted rather than favor consuming) as channeling levels up.  Each of these powers uses a priest's hand as a tool to avoid clogging up the menu.  These powers can ONLY be used while you are a priest (so if you de-priest, you lose them).  They are designed to make a priest's life easier in small ways and give them some useful party tricks.

10 Channeling :- Ignite.  Allows the priest to light a fire, supplying channeling/10 kg of material to be burned.  Can be used once per hour.

20 Channeling :- Call water.  Allows the priest to fill a container with channeling/10kg of water.  Can be used once per 4 hours.

30 Channeling :- Wither.  Allows a priest to wither any tree or bush below mature growth, removing it and clearing the tile of grass.  Can be used once per 4 hours.

40 Channeling :- Heat.  Allows a priest to instantly heat a bowl, cauldron, saucepan or frying pan and all it contains to red hot/boiling.  Can be used once every 6 hours.

50 Channeling :- Unseasonal Harvest.  Allows a priest to force a plant to bloom, even out of season making it harvestable.  Can be used once per 6 hours.

60 Channeling :- Moonlight.  Allows a priest to conjure a spectral lightsource that lasts channeling skill minutes and is tinted with relation to which moon is highest in the sky.  Can be used once every 4 hours.  Cannot be dropped or traded.  (Channeling QL, 0 weight)

70 Channeling :- Compass.  Creates a spectral compass in the priest's inventory that lasts for channeling skill minutes.  Can be used once every 4 hours.  Cannot be dropped or traded.  (Channeling QL, 0 weight)

80 Channeling :- Magewind.  Allows a priest to fill a boat's sails with a gale force wind for channeling skill minutes, this only effects boats driven by the priest (cannot be used when enemies are in local).  Can be used once every 6 hours.

90 Channeling :- Geomancy.  Allows a priest to turn a piece of flint into a random kind of gem of the same QL.  Can be used once every 12 hours.

100 Channeling :- All channeling skill cooldowns reduced by 1 hour.

edit: Incorperated Frae's suggestion for magewind and corrected my terrible spelling

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 4

The 90 one is way op, also put the gale one at 0 channeling and it's ok

The 90 one is way op, also put the gale one at 0 channeling and it's ok

As the sole use gems is for channeling pretty much I don't think so. maybe a bit earlier on to help with the grind.

80 Channeling :- Magewind.  Allows a priest to fill a boat's sails with a gale force wind for channeling skill minutes*, this only effects boats driven by the priest.  Can be used once every 6 hours.

Cannot be used while enemy in local and the rest looks great

Perhaps change call water to create a water tile

You dont cast Vessel at 40 or neither at 50 channeling. It's just waste of gems because same gains comes from Vynoras hand, Aosp, Coc etc..

How do these help you train from 40-50 channeling?

With such long cooldowns, they will have to offer some serious skillgain each time you use them or they wouldn't solve the problem you are trying to fix. If that is the case, people will just log on every 1/4/6 hours, cast their power than log off again like meditation.

Edited by Outlaw

I don't see him suggesting in any way it helping grind channeling

"This is a little something to change that, to reward people who do take the time to grind up channeling in a much more tangible way."

A little threadromancy on this one since it seems like the time may be ripe for such nice things.

No

1-2 per deity.. ok~ if not too op..

But 1 ability for every 10 channeling levels... w t * is this? it's like having all meditation abilities bumped into a skill that have so many uses already.. not every priest/deity/ is that needy for buffs, but ofc.. you don't care about that.. you'd rather slap a mod like this in WO to be special.

I dont want to comment every single one of the random slapped buffs that are 'minor'.

Enchant power alone is enough reason to grind channeling. Priests dont need more buffs the regular players cant get.

• Like 1

I would instead go for something that everybody can do, but priests are better at.

I see where you're comnig from, Finnn, but was there no way to be a tad more civil about it?

On Topic:

The idea is interesting but to be entirely honest this exact proposal doesn't feel very well thought out. I wouldn't bring this up in a suggestion thread if you weren't so specific, by the way. But there are some abilities that feel rather shoehorned or out of place here (For instance: Why a spectral compass? And every priest has Light Token for nearly no favor cost, so why do we need Moonlight and why is it harder to reach than Unseasonal Harvest, which is massively more useful?)

The primary incentive for channeling is to get better rolls on your buffs, that's what a priest subjects themselves to the massive restrictions for. You could make a case that no priest does channeling only and that the spells may at least give them a little bit of an edge in the niche tasks they are now confined to, but I don't see why these couldn't be minor spells common to all deities instead of part of a completely new mechanism that is tied to a skill in some contrived way. Some of the abilities you suggest would still reward higher channeling in the same "tangible way" if they were spells, like the Ignite one.

Geomancy, while intruiging, isn't a light suggestion though. It entails the question about how essential gems are to a priests work/livelihood and if such a thing really must be obtainable through non-RNG ways. There's a big design choice behind changing that and it's probably worth of a discussion on its own.

Edited by Flubb

@Flubbif the idea was more reasonable.. maybe;

If I havent read other posts from @Etherdriftermaybe.. but.. *sigh* :rolleyes: he does have some history of demanding game breaking 'small' changes for random reasons...

This one is like a combo of meditation abilities.. but slapped to a skill that is already quite profitable, etc etc... and have it's own incentives to be skilled up high as it is. Current meditation abilities take both a lot of time.. to get to them.. and if I'm not wrong.. 16 or 18 hours cooldown.. where he asks for 6h~... new channeling abilities.. that do not require faith ...

How does a priest/deity based char/ get such powers similar to meditation/sorcery.. idk

Should we all expect such.. *extra abilities* for weaponsmiths.. since it's so hard to grind and "so useless", as motivation... to make a 90WS char.. able to 2-slap a dragon - barehanded? .. and so on..

@Flubb 

You raise some good points; though light token is not actually castable by all priests (though most priests are player gods these days so its an easy mistake to make) and most non-enchanters find that they don't have any use for channelling over 50 (the enchants market is not really viable unless you're looking to push channeling up into the 70s or 80s, you just don't get reliable casts and these days there is little point save enchanting your own tools (which you can rarely, if ever, use)).

The notion of having some of these as minor spells is a nice one, but...  Well, you can see the general opinion on priest unique content.

It seems community views on magic have rather changed from two years ago.  Can't say I think it's a good change, but then perhaps a lack of change isn't a good thing either ^_^

Oh, gravely misinformed on the light token... my bad. I have two priests (from player gods, as you low key predicted) and they both just happened to have it, giving me a wrong sense of ubiquitousness of that spell. ¯\_ツ_/¯

I just think it'd be more natural and in tune with the current system to have some new PvE spells added (Like Ignite from the OP) and perhaps even old spells revamped to scale a bit more with channeling beyond binary success chances, to have "non-enchanters" profit from it in a more tangible way without dramatically changing the system or adding "new" mechanism to priesthood.

Edited by Flubb

These are actually pretty good.   Each is a rather small ability(Except the wind ability) with a long cool down.    Basically some neat parlour tricks as a reward for every 10 chan.

i like the ones that are just nice to have and kinda fun, bu nothing speical really. thats nice and fun 

nothing should be added that a normal person cant do, so -1 to 50,  80 and 90 

+1 to the rest.

I was thinking of something similar regarding some of these...  I think lower level priests need useful stuff...  I'd like to see each deity have some low level moderately useful things.

Vynora likes air, water, ice

make snowballs, fill water containers, create wind for sailing, etc...

Nahjo likes dirt, stone, fire

make dirt, light fires, heat things, etc.

Fo likes grass, trees

speed growth, wither, harvest when not in season, etc.

Mag, Paw, etc...

I'm sure the skills could be made nearly equivalent and split between deities.  I think favor should be used, just at low amounts, and they should give channeling skill.

I like it, I'll give you a bump.

Edited by Wiolo

Can we all get same thing for every other skill at level 10/20/30/40/50/60/70/80/90-99 and 100?

Crafters are human too, we want to have fun with passive bonuses.

Pretty please?

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

Can we all get same thing for every other skill at level 10/20/30/40/50/60/70/80/90-99 and 100?

Crafters are human too, we want to have fun with passive bonuses.

Pretty please?

Actually, it would be nice for stub skills like forestry, gardening, milking, milling etc.  Extra content for the grind.  But what kind of powers would you suggest?

Edited by Etherdrifter

I think this is a neat idea. Also it could be based on soul depth instead of channeling. Or also meditation. Or, different abilities could be unlocked at level x in different skills, to make stuff like gardening, forestry, etc more tasteful. I like the idea of channeling for some of these, but perhaps not all of them.

DA