Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Caravel height 35 but passes under a lower bridge

I built a bridge, 20 slope x2

so that a Caravel can pass under it because a caravel's height is 35.

Turns out this isn't necessary?

What's the required `dirt above water` measurement for a Caravel when applied to bridges?
A magic number that i think, we need to know. (caravel being the tallest ship)

28-05-15
EDIT -

Here is the info, we require; http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/124030-community-bridge-project-in-southeast-deliverance/page-3#entry1279033

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

I am thinking that the boat itself does not have collision with a bridge it is the player on the boat that collides and stop players passing under on the boat. (I have not been to the test server to test all this but that is my thought on it after what little i have experienced with it all)

Edit: Like this bridge on test here i can swim/walk under it and drag the sailboat but i can not sail under it on the sailboat..

hZtJl8G.jpg

MwY7eyE.jpg

Edited by Kegan

scroll up for updates
---------------------------------
Serraphine worked it out on the test server so im hoping for a return from her some time later today.

Edit - that looks like a 10 slope bridge with no flat top for the ship to get under.

even if 10 slope was good enough, i can't imagine the aesthetics match the code perfectly.
(the wedge at the top doesn't really exist)

So it's incredibly hard to gauge the answer from that photo.

Nice bridge tho :)
I have another project and im torn about bridge types so it all helps.

Edited by Steveleeb

Well i can drag a caravel under that same bridge so it for sure is the person on the boat that stops passage but as to what the max height will need to be for all boats i don't know or feel like testing right now.

IIyoqOQ.jpg

• Like 1

This is not how dragging collision works atm...

Once the new collision system makes it's appearance.. boats will be the basis for collision, not the player... so I wonder how things will work out at that point lol.

Well it only really matters for short bridges anything over 5 tiles i think it was has to be 80 above water iirc

Edited by Kegan

Once the new collision system makes it's appearance.. boats will be the basis for collision, not the player... so I wonder how things will work out at that point lol.

This scares me :(

Think of all the bridges that are built now. If a new boat collision system gets added how many bridges will need to be ripped out(not a easy thing to do.) And new bridges put in. I can only hope that if/when new boat collisions are put in that it improves collision with out making all low bridges obsolete.

As far as current system the magic number so far seems to be 20. If it's +10 above water for the start of your bridge, plus a arch of 10, it's passable in the middle. If it's 15 land plus 5 arch again it's passable. So from the playing around I have done on test it seems like +20 might be the minimal required clearance. Even a cog with 2 passengers can pass through.

If any one has specific heights, lengths, scenarios they want tested. Let me know and I'll try to test it on Bridges test server and let you know the results.

• Like 3

Speaking of collisions... I know this isn't bridge specific... but has anyone else noticed that it doesn't seem to be possible to 'rest' against a tree on a steep slope anymore?

Edited by Kyleshandra

The collision for trees was removed in the bridge update if I recall.

This scares me :(

Think of all the bridges that are built now. If a new boat collision system gets added how many bridges will need to be ripped out(not a easy thing to do.) And new bridges put in. I can only hope that if/when new boat collisions are put in that it improves collision with out making all low bridges obsolete.

As far as current system the magic number so far seems to be 20. If it's +10 above water for the start of your bridge, plus a arch of 10, it's passable in the middle. If it's 15 land plus 5 arch again it's passable. So from the playing around I have done on test it seems like +20 might be the minimal required clearance. Even a cog with 2 passengers can pass through.

If any one has specific heights, lengths, scenarios they want tested. Let me know and I'll try to test it on Bridges test server and let you know the results.

I would most certainly like to find out how long a bridge needs to be for all boats to go underneath it -without- dragging; I have plans for bridges at either end of the PKCanal, and all boats can currently sail through there with no issues. Currently, however, I only have nine/ten tiles in length to play with AND raise for a bridge over.

scroll up for updates
--------------------------------
once u have attained the height you need, i believe u need a flat section to assert your achieved altitude and allow ships to pass under it.

so the length depends on that section and your desired slope which in turn, depends on the minimum ship clearance, which in turn, may change.

I'm going to let things settle before i rebuild my 40 above water, marble bridge.

Edited by Steveleeb