Sign in to follow this  
raimian

rolf, show miners some love

Your source is terrible and wrong

by this you mean you need no reset of the current rock layer to achieve this? yay    ;)

I think additional functions could be added to mines without them being "3D". Take for instance interior mine doors (on deed tiles only) which could be made out of an existing mine tile. Just create some sort of creation process which would make it pass through (not solid) to those with deed permission to enter gates. Then add some sort of mine door graphic to it for the visual effect.

Even house walls and fencing could be created without tile borders if they were portions of a tile created in the direction that the player was facing. It could then be considered a block (tile) with only one side to it when standing in the center. Just add the required materials to the process when the tile was clicked to start the building process. Roofs and floors are on a 1 tile basis anyway, so that should be no problem.

I only envision 3D mines being necessary for the ability to create different mine layers above and below each other but not necessary for building structures and fencing within them.

=Ayes=

My Zaj would commit eternal suicides on a mine reset...

Adding tile borders and some structures would be really great though. At least let Mag priests sleep in mines :-P pleeeease

• Like 1

This should be the new big thing.

Would change the game experience a lot, like the bridges

• Like 1

Someone told me a rumour that the 3d mine system had already been made, it's just it would require a whole mine layer level reset which wouldn't bode well with the players :P

Heard the same. 

This should be the new big thing.

Would change the game experience a lot, like the bridges

People are scared that it would mean a full reset... and I will admit, the amount I've mined would be a large loss...I've made my own gargantuan Canal, and put in potentially thousands of hours of work on it.

But 3D mines would be worth any sacrifice.

I hope they're listening and see an opportunity here for next year's big release.

Edited by Dairuka

Such is the problem with gossip. Ninety-nine percent is rubbish. Just like half of all statistics are made up.

Still an enhanced underground map would be awesome; though, I enjoy mining in general, so bit biased there.

Out of interest, how close are we (on a scale of 'just needs a little dev time' to 'nowhere near and not a priority') to 3D mining?  How about the other stuff asked for in this thread, like internal doors and other construction stuff?

Out of interest, how close are we (on a scale of 'just needs a little dev time' to 'nowhere near and not a priority') to 3D mining?  How about the other stuff asked for in this thread, like internal doors and other construction stuff?

Yes

I don't see this happening anytime soon and i do recall it being said its not possible with the game engine. Even if it did happen it would probably ruin many entrances to deeds on PVP servers.

Why would 3d mines require a map reset, though? Everything that is representable in our current 2.5d map should also be representable in a more general 3d map, no? Just a matter of writing some software that transforms the old, to the new.

If the huge dropshafts are a problem, simply collapse everything in a 5-tile radius around them prior to transforming the map.

Edited by asdf

I'm sure existing mines could be mapped out and placed as was in a new system on implementation, why not, seems that's the simplest part. The hardest would be what I'd call a proper mine update... Realistic natural caverns with stalagmites, seams, faults, cascades, gas, flash flooding and rare cauldron ingredients. Then we'd have tunnels of variously skilled finish hewn through the punishing mass through legions of ceramic soldiers to arrive at the wyvern eggs baking at the seat of the volcano.

Ok maybe going a bit far there for the dev team but the point is our mines are just perfectly square columnar tiles. Is it that a graphics overhaul is too inconceivable to visualise? I think it might be unfortunately as much as it will be a great thing in a future where Wurmians demand cave detail approaching what has been achieved up top. It wouldn't be too difficult to round off the right angles and add more of a debris strewn looking floor but this thread is about multi level mines anyway rather than graphics isn't it. The one big downside I see about that is the detrimental effect on deed raiding. Attackers could either get lost in the labyrinths or not realise a mine is even there that is vital to advancing to the goal. At the moment it's possible to use mines cleverly to vastly slow down a token drain. If this was made considerably harder by additional levels you could forget raiding altogether. The balance is right with our one level, as in no deed security is invincible but the more thought out deeds are a reward in themselves.

My view on what should happen to mines amounts to this. The occasional loner type person hears that there are fabled societies existing totally in mines (or this is told as a reason to avoid travelling in darkness lest they end up as food for the pale ones). This of course peaks his dark interest like nothing else has though he refrains from comment. Our hero thinks of how this could possibly be true, how could they live there and why? Imagines the deep world isolated from the pretense and greed and appealing to what is really important as he sips his mead. Late that evening he quietly leaves the light of the little hamlet till the heavy forest meets his step. Through the scarlet heartbeat in his strained eyes he is aware of the hilt cutting in to fingers in a dull message of pain and the shush of the air and she is right there in the black of his vision, as pale as death, globe eyes with their grey dead centres and still some human hair and he is her kill. A sharp thought now and she's questioning and lingering, no longer his death and he has to answer with his timid helpless eyes in a desperate hope to hers before he has to slump in fear. "Are.. are you recruiting?". She peels grotesque worms of lips over needle teeth and hisses a smile at her meal. Another shift and there's something else she seeks behind her smile. For all the brief events and his progress this night, he sees her eyes dart to his neck as he slowly gulps at his future. 

So that's how your parents met but what I was getting at before I drifted off is that I'd like to see societal constructs in Wurm that will alter the atributes of a player. The guy above would end up resembling a cave dweller himself in a few months, Living off algae, cave fish or surface animals caught secretly and having a very short local signal to surface dwellers and enhanced speed, melee and stealth yet no clothes or weapons. A lot of other ways of life are possible this way from pirates and travellers and their atributes to mermen as another extreme society. I've mentioned this before anyway, apologies for the strange post lol.

I see one main problem. If they reset the mines for any reaso, what happens to the tiles that some of us used a rod of transmutation on to obtain the ores we have? They aren't cheap and we all know how much Rolf loves reimbursing Wurmians :P

I want beds in caves and something like a building door.

I know caves don't have tile boarders but couldn't we have a whole tile sized permission controlled passage thing? We can use support beams to make something like a wall.

It shouldn't take more then a couple minuets to allow beds in mines.

It shouldn't take more then a couple minuets to allow beds in mines.

I wouldn't bet on it, considering the recent bugs with beds including spawning on the wrong floor or getting stuck which would be a worst scenario inside a cave.

I wouldn't bet on it, considering the recent bugs with beds including spawning on the wrong floor or getting stuck which would be a worst scenario inside a cave.

I log in and and out in a cave all the time. Lately I been grinding mediation on alts which involves a lot of log in and out business. I've experienced no problems with positioning.

I'd bet on it. Granted I don't know what's happening. But all that would need to happen is just a date-time stamp (or Null/None if no bed) when one logs out in a bed. Upon login the game can calculate sleep bonus from date-time or give none if its Null.

Yes

Really? You couldn't manage perhaps a little more detail?  Or even, "this is currently up in the air, as we're still deciding what to do next"? 

having tile boarders and housing would mean we could build a lot more, and if a few extra wall/door were added just for underground so we can build vast dungeons