Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 21 (and some 20!)

News%20Header.jpg?dl=1

Hey everyone!

The wait for this week's news, and last week's, has been a lot longer than normal. For this I apologise. Since Redbaron/Johan had to leave us PR has been handled on a voluntary basis. This means that, occasionally, there might be gaps or delays for any number of reasons. The developers have been helping us to continue the weekly news in a roughly similar format to what we're all used to, but the lack of presence in the office makes things slightly more difficult and time consuming.

My solution to this problem has been to increase the size of the PR team with five new PRAs, along with the introduction of a Deputy PR Officer. From now on I will be delegating the drafting of Weekly news to the PRAs in the hopes that my personal unavailability, as has been the case for the last fortnight, does not stand so much in the way of getting the news out.

On a lighter note, bridges have been in-game now for more than a week! It has been a very long time coming and thank you all so much for your patience and understanding. They were a huge technical and design challenge for the developers but they seem to be working very well. There have been a few bugs here and there which we have been smoothing off, but other than that it has been plain sailing. 

It has been amazing to see the creative possibilities that bridges have unlocked. We have seem some truly amazing screenshots of bridges used in such a variety of ways, many of which we never expected (in a good way)! Well done to everyone for their designs!

And with that, here's the news!

Team Changes

The past fortnight has seen a lot of activity within the team. Our Head GM, Enki, has appointed three Assistant Head GMs to assist him in his good work. MamaDarkness, Pomona, and Tamorlane are all extraordinarily experienced GMs who have already begun planning improvements and changes which you should hear more about over the coming weeks and months. necroe has succeeded Mamadarkness as Lead Chat Moderator, and Bloodscythe has succeeded Necroe as Assistant Lead Forum Moderator.

WurmTag-AHGM.pngWurmTag-LCM.pngWurmTag-ALFM.pngWurmTag-WM.pngWurmTag-WA.pngWurmTag-PRA.pngWurmTag-DPRO.png

bwg (Marni) has taken up the newly-created position of Wurmpedia Manager. Their job is to make sure that the Wurmpedia is run properly and everyone who wants to contribute can do so, and those who abuse the ability to contribute are removed. If you're interested in becoming a Wurmpedia Assistant, applications are currently open. You can get more details and apply here.

Finally, on the PR team, Bibi, Maxthx, Yldrania, Araninke and CanibalCamel have become PR Assistants. I was very pleasantly surprised by the overall standard of applications but I think these five really shone the brightest in different ways out of an overall impressive group of applicants. Docterchese was appointed PRA some time ago but has now been appointed Deputy PR Officer to fill in for me when I am unavailable. 

I look forward to working with the new PRAs to ramp up our communication efforts through social media, weekly news and in the press / media. 

Nordic Game Conference

From Wednesday to Friday last week, Lead Developer Rolf travelled to Malmo, Sweden to attend the Nordic Game Conference 2015

It was an excellent opportunity for Rolf to meet other game developers and get a good insight into the state and direction of the gaming business through a range of impressive guest speakers and seminars. Hopefully Rolf has learned some hints and tips which we can apply right here in Wurm, to make the game more successful and all moving parts more effective.

Golden Valley Map Dump

We know a lot of players used to play on the old Tutorial server once it was freely accessible so, mostly for sentimental reasons, you can find a map dump for Golden Valley here.

"Fight Club" Community Event

15oyu7p.jpg

Later on today, 24th May, at 1PM EST (18:00 GMT), Gumbo will be hosting a Fight Club community event on the Independence server. There players will be able to take part in duels, group fights, auctions, large sermons, imping stations and, very importantly, some high quality meals! Helmets, caps and hats off to Gumbo and co. for organising this community event. Full details can be found here

Please be aware of course that this is a community event, and the Wurm team has no involvement or responsibility for any losses incurred!

Miscellaneous Changes

You will soon be able to plant flowers, mixed grass, thatch and moss underneath bridges. Previously you could not dug or dredge under bridges, but this will soon be changed, except next to bridge supports.

Also planned is the ability to plant thatch inside buildings. All of these changes should be released very soon and are live on the test server.

Edit: Thank you Alectrys for noticing these are not in-game yet as I had previously announced.

Screenshot of the Week

It has been very difficult to pick out one screenshot in particular this week, of the many amazing ones we have seen which include creative bridge designs, so I think it is only fair this week to post up a link to our official bridge screenshots thread.

The screenshot we used in our banner is of a set of three curvy bridges submitted by Dairuka, and selected by PRA Atazoth.

4RUumi8.jpg

That's all for this week,

Happy Wurming!

PS: 12 points if you got the reference to Building Bridges (Eurovision 2015 slogan) in the header image! Congratulations Sweden for winning Eurovision last night!

• Like 20

Great news i can build my proper horse stable after all these years, lol

• Like 4

When we can see the new maul models on the live servers? Last info and picture we got was of the large maul in week 17 news.

Edited by Bekador
  • Like 1

Nordic Game Conference

From Wednesday to Friday last week, Lead Developer Rolf travelled to Malmo, Sweden to attend the Nordic Game Conference 2015

It was an excellent opportunity for Rolf to meet other game developers and get a good insight into the state and direction of the gaming business through a range of impressive guest speakers and seminars. Hopefully Rolf has learned some hints and tips which we can apply right here in Wurm, to make the game more successful and all moving parts more effective.

Good to read that Rolf has attended this conference. Hopefully it was a relaxing break and a positive experience with much knowledge gained that will further enhance the continued progress of Wurm Online.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Any possibility on getting an update about the permission system revamp?  There was one post about it and I haven't heard anything since.

When we can see the new maul models on the live servers? Last info and picture we got was of the large maul in week 17 news.

Also cant wait for this.

You can now plant flowers, mixed grass, thatch and moss underneath bridges. Previously you could not dug or dredge under bridges, but this has since been enabled, except next to bridge supports.

The dig option doesnt seem to be working, assuming by dug you mean dig. Is this only working for new bridges built?

[13:23:11] The structure is in the way.

Edit -[13:29:48] The bouquet of white flowers would never grow inside.

No where near any supports

Edited by sunsvortex

I don't believe that the miscellaneous changes mentioned in the report have made it to the live servers yet.  

I was able to plant on the test server, I cannot on the live servers yet.

I don't believe that the miscellaneous changes mentioned in the report have made it to the live servers yet.  

I was able to plant on the test server, I cannot on the live servers yet.

Unless there has been a restart, I would agree they are not live yet.

• Like 1

Let me be the first to thank you for the Golden Valley map dump.

I wasn't around for the original heydays of the server but now own an acct there that I play regularly.

Its my quiet place away from the hectic hubbub of regular Wurm life.

• Like 4

Forgot to mention that you can no longer collide with trees in game... YAY!

I'm very disappointed in the lack of communication concerning the selection of the new PRA's. I've been waiting for weeks, checking my email daily for any correspondence about the application process. I was told you'd be in contact regardless of the outcome, and that just didn't happen.

planting in houses and under bridges - awesome.

Well that was lucky i was about to start bashing my stables to replace an enchanted tile that was packed by the bull after i tamed it which stopped it moving round  :D

JWn3H77.jpg

Had to be the one with a second floor above it  :(

Edited by Lordterrabyte
  • Like 1

Y'all could have saved yourselves 2 angry threads by enabling grass in buildings BEFORE dropwurmians ;-P

On that note... 

Woohoo!!! *hi5 dev team on that one*

• Like 2

thank you for EVERYTHING and please get the grass in quick!!!

Just wanted to say I look forward to helping out on the PR front and super excited about planting thatch indoors!

I still enjoy walking around GV, so thanks for the map!

• Like 1

Mauls will be out with the next graphics update.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Are you guys going to fix the z-fighting issue? It has gotten worse with the last few updates and it makes the game look quite horrible. Water also flickers and it's just eye-c****r.

Please be aware of course that this is a community event, and the Wurm team has no involvement or responsibility for any losses incurred!

That's a shame, cuz I lost a doozie. hehe.

*shakes fist at Pinejon*

Wanted to give a great big thank you to all in the Freemason alliance for their hard work on the FC.  Thanks also for the mob spawns during the event.

I had a great time, hope you all did too.

Mauls will be out with the next graphics update.

Cheers!

WooooOOOooooo!