Sign in to follow this  
AlphaMaleAD

Bridge Issue- Slope too great

I didn't see the answer in the bridge megathread and I don't understand the picture someone posted with the 5 slope minimum clearance.

I am trying to build a bridge to deal with ascending a mountain,

I place myself 350 tiles higher than the player with the range pole. When I look at them, I get all the way to the event message where it says the slope would be too large.

The tile I am on is flat and level, as is the tile the player is standing on.

​Any suggestions?

bridges have a maximum slope of 20 I think, so it's possible that the difference you try to gap is too small in your example the 350 height difference divided by the number of tiles inbetween you and the other player must be smaller or exactly 20

• Like 1

So I would resolve this by moving the other player closer, while still remaining at a 350 height difference?

So I would resolve this by moving the other player closer, while still remaining at a 350 height difference?

You are being told that the slope of the bridge would be too high. If you move the pole holder closer it will only serve to increase the slope. You need to move the pole holder farther away to decrease the slope.

The 5 slope minimum clearance is probably referring to clearance below the bridge. If the slope is too slight or not steep enough you will not be able to build the bridge until you increase the slope below the proposed bridge.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Basically, you need to divide 350 by 20 slope, which is about 18 tiles. This means your bridge needs to be 18 tiles long so you do the max slope a bridge can do = 20 slope :)

The other way is to make a tower, each level is 32 high do you can reduce the bridges length by building up, but you will need another bridge to get to the ground level again.

Thank you for the help and explanations. The descriptions are very vague to me and I get a bit confused.

As long as a move the players far apart, the only tiles that need to be flat and level are the start and end, right? Want to make sure I dont introduce new problems as I spread them farther

They don't have to be flat, just the side needs to be level in the direction you want the bridge. So you can have a ramped start and end tile.