Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Measure Depth (stick) [Resolved - fishing nets]

Measure Depth `device`

How about we give carpentry some love and invent a way to measure depth that doesn't involve terraforming

:)

yay or nay

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 7

+1 When you make bridges it tells you the difference in height, so it should be easy to implement a similar meathod!

I like the idea and would make use of such a device +1

In swedish we have a word called "Lodning", which is basically tying a weight to a string and then sinking it until you hit bottom. No need for it to be a stick!

• Like 4

In swedish we have a word called "Lodning", which is basically tying a weight to a string and then sinking it until you hit bottom. No need for it to be a stick!

In America we have the same called a 'Mark Twain' made famous by a very popular author who took it as his 'nom de plume'.

The term mark twain is a navigational description of two fathoms, meaning a depth of twelve feet of water, derived from the measurement of a mark combined with "twain" meaning "two." Mark twain is considered the lowest depth for safe water travel. The measurement of a mark is taken with a "hand lead" that consists of a rope with a heavy weight fastened to its end. The rope is usually twenty-five fathoms long and is marked in increments of two, three, five, seven, ten, fifteen, seventeen and twenty fathoms. - See more at: http://bymarktwain.com/#sthash.xOPPFLAA.dpuf

Cordage rope + lead ball = Twain Rope

+1 to this idea.

• Like 4

+1 Jberg: in English it is called a plumb line, made of lead and rope - and you 'plumb the depths' and there is an expression 'plumb bottom' which is when it hits the bottom (plumb bottom can also be used metaphorically).

+1, and something which you DON'T have to be highlevel to make for a change please...

Rope and lead and maybe something for the marks like woad.

+1

Great idea! +101

Could we also use some thing on land to know how high above sea water we are. It could even be using the tools we have for bridge making.

• Like 1

nice find ;)
if he'd added `depth` to his tags i may have found it lol

nonetheless, some great ideas and some brilliant info

Edited by Steveleeb

On 5/23/2015 at 5:23 AM, Steveleeb said:

Measure Depth `device`

How about we give carpentry some love and invent a way to measure depth that doesn't involve terraforming

:)

yay or nay

A dredge could easily be used to determine depth, but also for the short, if someone is standing in water with a range pole... it will tell you how deep the water is.

As mentioned we have this device already for land - the range pole set up.

I wouldn't see a problem with the Magranon cast 'Mole Senses' detecting how far above water level you are. the spell is pretty useless as it is except in rare situations.

A plumb line (clearly I'm British ;) ) would be good for boat use. I don't quite see how a dredge does the job when working over deeper water or any kind of distance away from the shore

• Like 1