Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

Community Bridge Project in Southeast Deliverance

I have 600 dirt available at the moment, I can get 1200 this evening. And I'll began to gather bricks.

Dioptra is almost 70ql and pole range is at 54ql (no good ql logs available) but we can build up to 21 tile long bridges

Where do you want to start from: main or peninsula?

I hope Yaga will be the construction leader, as he started the idea

I hope Yaga will be the construction leader, as he started the idea

I can play that role if the community wants me to. We are still in the process of planning, though. :)

I'm still looking for bridge examples, hoping  to learn more about what can be done and what can't. For the main part of the bridge I have something like this in mind:

N62VY6j.jpg

I examined the east shore yesterday and started wondering if - instead of building that ramp we had in mind - we could use the existing cliffs as a starting point for the main bridge. Maybe some of you would like to explore that area (X38, Y37 on the community map) too and tell me what you think.

I also started to lay out a track for a highway connecting former Anagrom Ataf (and the existing north-south highway) with the eastern end point of our future bridge. As we will also connect the western end point with a highway, I was wondering if it might not be better to build a 2-tile wide bridge - thus the bridge itself would be considered part of the highway and would be protected against griefing. I know, this would mean double mats - but wouldn't it be worth it? What do you think? (Everybody, I mean... ;) )

And... thanks, Turmoil, for your effort and enthusiasm!

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 1

I was thinking more on arched bridges for the main part, but your design is very effective also.

On the Bridges screenshot thread are there some interesting options we can take some ideas from

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/123372-bridge-screenshots/page-9

I can go explore the cliffs as it can be a good starting point. On west side, terrain is flatter

And for the 2-tile bridge, would be best, for being protected and most impressive. Double mat is more time and more skill gain ;) So count me on the 2-tile wide side

I was thinking on a small 12 tile bridge on the road from Pilgrim Gate to the north (there is a landbridge now) as personal project (as I live just there) but your project is more interesting and useful

Hi Yaga,

Have you considered bridging east from the existing terraforming at the old Autumn Twilight deed to the beach south of Dunegard? It looks a lot shorter than the proposed route and could then take advantage of the existing highway from Autumn Twilight to the steppe.

The community project could then include a bit of a cleanup of the Autumn Twilight site. (Unless it's been re-deeded recently; it's been a while since I last sailed past)

Have you considered bridging east from the existing terraforming at the old Autumn Twilight deed to the beach south of Dunegard? It looks a lot shorter than the proposed route and could then take advantage of the existing highway from Autumn Twilight to the steppe.

The community project could then include a bit of a cleanup of the Autumn Twilight site. (Unless it's been re-deeded recently; it's been a while since I last sailed past)

Yes, former AT / Serendipity Beach looks like an option on the map, but actually is not :).  There are several reasons. The beach on the east side of the bay with its long protruding pier is nothing but an unbeloved auxiliary construction, allowing players to be able to cross the sound by swimming. As soon as we have the bridge a bit further north, that pier and most of the beach will disappear to make room for seafaring again. Likewise, as old AT has in fact been deeded again, I honestly hope that the former protruding harbour structure with its disturbing piers and docks will eventually disappear too, so the bay will be restored to its original state. (It used to be such a scenic place in the old days... ;) )

In addition I must admit that we wouldn't really like a huge bridge at that place. The spot we chose now seems more appropriate, because it won't interfere with any settlements on the east side, and will only affect one single settlement (Other Side Village) on the other side. That's why we picked it, and we are happy that Saraski doesn't mind. :)

Let's stick to that, please.

• Like 2

If you need higher ql dioptra for the planned length let me know and we will work it out, I'm good up to 90ql. I'll love a bridge there!

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Also I believe arched can be started lower than 80 dirt from water and will eat much less materials than a flat (if I'm not totally wrong). With 90+ masonry which I don't have I suppose the bridge could be done in a single span allowing even easier sailing under it.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Also I believe arched can be started lower than 80 dirt from water and will eat much less materials than a flat (if I'm not totally wrong). With 90+ masonry which I don't have I suppose the bridge could be done in a single span allowing even easier sailing under it.

I think Aeris has that kind of masonry skill - just saying - grin

• Like 1

As it seems we have a couple of players with 90+ masonry. Now, with a 90ql dioptra... how long would we be able to plan a flat or arched stone bridge? If I read the Wiki table (http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Bridge#Skill_Requirements) correctly, it would be 32 tiles, right?

Unfortunately a single segment bridge would at least need 36 tiles though - even more than that if we use the eastern cliffs as a starting point :( .  (Unless we come up with a new idea...)

• Like 1

Hi

I've checked the eastern cliffs and I think the only option to use them it will be from where there is the bridge sign, just above the hut. All other points are further or we must surface mine to make it accessible.

And where the sign there is a guard tower, so added security to travelers

A 90ql dioptra will allow a 36 long tile bridge, but 96-97 for masonry

Maybe we can change the bridge a bit, if we begin the bridges just north and south of the huts, instead of east and west, we will have a 32 tile bridge for the main part.

I'll try to do a picture to show it.

• Like 1

Thanks, that looks like a good solution! (Even though it means having to move the highway I just built by 2 tiles southward, in order to connect it directly to the bridge :) )

We will now need dirt, but I guess it can be done. (Dirt donations are welcome!)

So folks - what do you think? Best plan so far, I would say. If everybody is happy we can start to build the first 2 little islands in the north.

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 1

3 large crates full of dirt by now. Tomorrow I can have 2 more, so 1500 dirt. I hope it's enough for starting

• Like 1

I'll imp a dioptra tomorrow or latest Thursday and bring or send it over to my Mag who is currently emptying the mountain from the inside at Kalami :-)

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

my hammer / trowel / shovel (and 90 QL dioptras) are yours for that project. Feel free to hit me up when you need some extra hands.

Delivered in a single package with a crazy mason, digger and stuff-doer...

• Like 2

Cool, guys! I was pondering overnight.... What if we were able to extend the bridge length to 34? We could use the existing plateau at the north end, and my highway would not have been built in vain.... (Due to the topology a shift southward by 2 tiles will not be quite easy.)

Anybody with 94 masonry available? And - which ql would the dioptra need to have?

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 1

34 tiles > 85 QL dioptra and range pole.

that high mason might be hard to find on deli though. but i have a few ideas of people to poke.

• Like 1

if that helps, i can sail to deli to plan that bridge :)

i got 97 masonry and 90ql dipotra/range pole so according to wiki i should be able to plan 36t long bridges

• Like 1

if that helps, i can sail to deli to plan that bridge :)

i got 97 masonry and 90ql dipotra/range pole so according to wiki i should be able to plan 36t long bridges

Wow - 36 tiles would be perfect! Thank you very much, Cerber. Your help would be more than welcome - would you really bother to come all the way to Deli, from wherever you are?

Of course we will have to build the platforms at both ends first - but once this is done we would really be happy if you could plan the main bridge for us.

Thanks, mate!

okay so I defer to imp my dipotra :D

The pole holder will need some stamina, I'm happy to stand in with my Mag's 38.5, proven to be enough for 32 tiles, and think will be fine for 36.

As well when the build is in progress, I'll try to come over and help to put in all the materials.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Ok, currently there are 7 large crates full of dirt. We can begin to build islands

• Like 1

Thanks to Cerber we will now be able to build a 36-tile stone bridge across the sound! In addition we will build two 8-tile bridges as sloped ramps at the north and south end. All bridges will be 2 tiles wide, in order to connect them to the highways and thus have them under the highway protection rule.

According to the current rules and the results of recent experiments we also know the following facts about bridges:

• Bridges have to be built at minimal 10 above water.
  • Flat bridges can be built at 1-5 tiles long at 10 above water.You need 5 clearance minimal on land bridges.
  • Brick/Marble flat and arched bridges greater then 8 tiles long need to be 80 above water.
  • Currently if you are making a bridge for use in a highway it should not be attached to a house.
  • A bridge that is 2 lanes wide and connected to a highway on either end is considered part of the highway.

So it seems we will have to start the ramps at 10 dirts above water, and the 2 little islands must be 80 dirts above water.

Here is the (hopefully) final plan:

1vPZZNB.png

(There may still be some more options for the south highway - I would love to have it lead straight westward, but it seems some deeds are in the way. We'll do some more scouting there.)

Edited by Yaga

I've been playing with bridges on test. Here is some of the stuff I've gathered.

(If my testing and record keeping is accurate.)

A 1 story house wall is 33 dirt high. Each story after that adds 30.

All ships can sail in water at -20.

No bridge(ramp) segment can be steeper then 20 slope.

You need 5 clearance minimal on land bridges.

Any bridge that is connected to a highway on either end is considered part of the highway.

Currently if you are making a bridge for use in a highway it should not be attached to a house.

Mainly because, "If the house poofs any bridge attached to the house will poof also.".

Also there are currently a lot of wagon/cart bugs in houses.

(My personal belief)

Wooden/Brick/Marble bridges can only connect to a solid wall on a house. For 2 floors below connection.

Bridges have to be built at minimal 10 above water.

Flat bridges can be built at 1-5 tiles long at 10 above water.

A wooden flat bridge at 15 above water can not be sailed through.

A Wooden flat bridge at 20 above water can be sailed through.

A stone/Marble flat bridge at 20 above water can not be sailed through.

A stone/Marble flat bridge at 30 above water can be sailed through.

Arched bridges 1-8 tiles long can be built at 10 above water.

Wooden arched and flat bridges greater then 8 tiles need 60 above water.

Brick/Marble flat and arched bridges greater then 8 tiles long need to be 80 above water.

A 1x5 rope bridge can't be built at 15 above water.

A 1x5 rope bridge can be built at 20 above water.

A 1x8 rope bridge can not be built at 20 above water.

Collision on low arched bridges 8 tiles and less. The tile where the bridge start and end seems to have some collision with boats(it's actually on the commander/passengers).

The center tiles I have been able to pass through with no collision of captain, and 2 passengers on all ships.

Have not tested collision on taller/longer bridges.

On test I have quite a few bridges set up and boats. If anyone ever wants to test something just let me know.

Once you know how high and the set up your using here I can duplicate it on Test to see how it works.

• Like 7

Thanks a lot, Serra. (Good idea to test it on the test server first.)