Sign in to follow this  
Zakerak

Way to remove/destroy bridge quickly?

!!! This is not recipe how grief your neighbors. !!!

I have in my mind new plans for insane project. And that project will need some form of really tall temporary ramps. As carpenter (99,8) wooden bridge should work fine, I think. Probably much better than dirt ramps, as I have dense forests around me and I hate idea of "stealing dirt from perimeters of neighbors" or other ways of acquiring enough dirt.

I already built some bridges, but I have none writ for them. So nothing like tick checkbox and bridge will vanish is possible.

I expect, if I will bash both ends and all supports for bridge, it will crash. So building that parts from as low ql material as possible should help. Can anybody confirm my expectations?

• Like 1

There is no easy way to destroy bridges, you have to bash each part, and once destroyed that part reverts to a plan, once you destroy the last part, the plan goes.

Unless the bridge connects to a house, then if you destroy the house the bridge goes as well.

• Like 4

Not sure if the bridge will vanish until all tiles bashed as buildings behave the same way. Anyway for lower ql try to use an alt barely having enough carp to build the tiles after placing with your main. Give a godd ql high woa mallet to the alt to speed up...

Ah I forgot the house method - so just build a 2 time long to the top of a 1 story house then the long ramp up is the easy way. So much to learn on bridges.

Edited by Jaz

There is no easy way to destroy bridges, you have to bash each part, and once destroyed that part reverts to a plan, once you destroy the last part, the plan goes.

Unless the bridge connects to a house, then if you destroy the house the bridge goes as well.

So if I understand it correctly, using house as starting point on one side of bridge is solution? Once needless, tick destroy in house writ and that bridge will follow fate of removed house? That sounds as ideal way how to remove temporary bridge, thanks a lot :)

Tich, you are a genius!

I do have a follow up couple of questions, if you can spare a moment to answer:

1. How do bridges decay, compared to houses?  Wood bridge vs Wood house.  Stone/Stone.  Marble bridge?  This will really help determine what I end up building.

2. Decay on deed, vs in perim, vs open land?  Also, is there an enhanced decay in perim if you build in someone else's perim, or is that possible?  How about if someone expands their perim over your bridge?

Your answers are greatly appreciated!!

Edited by Wurmhole

1. Bridges are more resilient than houses. Marble ones should decay slower than Brick, and Bricks ore slowly than wood.

Also, if Bridge is used, it should have slower decay as well - remember decay is hard to test.

2. No decay on deed. and unsure about perimeter, I hope some people will tell me that one.

3. Mag global spell that's used to repair fences, should also work for bridge parts.

• Like 6

I have both a wooden bridge and a marble bridge in my perimeter currently. I will try to  monitor and report on decay of both types.

Please consider adding a writ or some other method of quickly destroying a bridge. I created a wooden bridge as a temporary bridge to maintain traffic flow while I built a nice marble bridge where there used to be an elevated road. Now the marble bridge is done and yet the wooden bridge still remains with no easy way to remove. Unfortunately a second marble bridge is supposed to be built perpendicular to where the wooden bridge now rests. Not going to be a fun job to destroy that bridge one tile at a time.

Edited by Nappy
  • Like 1

There will not be writs for bridges.

• Like 1

Could we have another command on the menu for the bridge owner/builder called destroy bridge? The rename command allows them to rename a bridge. Use the same technique to destroy the bridge?

~Nappy

• Like 1

There will not be writs for bridges.

When do we get marble walls to go with marble bridges ;)

• Like 2

When do we get marble walls to go with marble bridges ;)

i want them too,

same height as the marble bridge walls and same white shade.....

• Like 1

Popping a writ to destroy a bridge... oh wurm... ITS A TRAP!

Cool! I love it! Humpty Dumpty time!

Brick bridge in perimeter took 0.012 damage pass 4 days , 54 ql.

Now , bridge sections not yet built took 30 damage same time ,so far how do you replace a section not built yet if it poofs on you?

Or does it poof on you or does the entire bridge go?

lol I am willing to bet that a few devious pvpers are now thinking about it.  :)

Wooden bridge in perimeter. Been in place for two days.

[10:45:45] QL = 50.808727, dam=1.1961983.

[11:05:49] QL = 50.808727, dam=15.036457.
80 ql Large maul

20 minutes into destroying the first wooden bridge tile. 8 more tiles to go after this one is done. Not a great use of my valuable game time, The extended time to destroy makes it less likely to result in unneeded bridges being cleaned up and this wasted time adds nothing to the gaming experience for me.

Please consider making it possible for the builder/owner of a bridge to easily get rid of it.

~Nappy

Edited by Nappy
  • Like 1

Yeah, Nappy. If they decay slightly slower than a house and we all know how long an 80QL house can stand, they will be there a good long while. If just a simple mechanic like the builder can destroy a guard tower were put in as the builder could destroy a bridge, maybe some future abandoned roadway to a deed that is going to be abandoned for a move can have the bridge popped as easily as the writs on the deed (or do other people actually pop their writs before they move? LOL)

[11:29:06] QL = 50.808727, dam=24.503263.

45 minutes already seems excessive to destroy a single tile of my temporary bridge. At this rate it will take 2 hours a tile x 8 tiles = 16 hours of game time to remove the bridge.

I would rather spend that time doing tons of other, more interesting stuff in Wurm so the bridge will remain until either a sane way to remove bridges appears or it decays naturally.

RIP - plans to build a second, longer marble bridge that are now blocked by the inability to remove the blocking wooden bridge.

~Nappy "don't get me wrong, love bridges, just need that last bit of removal options completed"

Well it is bad that you all had to be the ones to find out but i guess on temporary bridges we need to build a house on the end so we can easily remove them.  (although i don't see a problem giving the builder/planner deed destroy bonus either)

Edited by Kegan

In my case the bridges are entirely in my perimeter so deed destroy wouldn't help at all.

I also cannot extend deed on that side (very expensive option with my size deed anyway) due to touching perimeters.

No i don't mean that you have to have the deed over the bridge i am just saying let the builder/planner have that same amount of destroy bonus that you do on deed.  That way even if the bridge is off deed the maker could damage it like it was.

I hope that makes sense i am not the best at conveying my thoughts on paper, lol 

• Like 1

Well, hopefully everyone adds a house to their temp bridges in the future.  Being a pioneer is rewarding and frustrating.  This go around, I chose to take a wurm vacation, while bridges were rolled out, to allow the hidden secrets time to reveal.

With Tich's note on bridge travel, we all should create a "bridge troll" F2P alt that literally lives on the bridge.  Just log in once a day and walk the bridge.  Hopefully This doesn't break any rules.  I could see a good marble bridge having the potential to last a year or more in that situation.

Edited by Wurmhole

I tried to do so without success although conditions weren't optimal. It seemed like the rock shards just flew through the bridge.