Sign in to follow this  
Jollibee

To quit or take a long break

I have been playing Wurm since early 2007, exploring the Howl and its surrounding in my leprechaun outfit exploring and dying from rats and lions around the area.  I have worked and toiled the land and work my way into having my own deed and playing with an awesome bunch of people.  Now I live in Deliverance enjoying my little coastal deeds in the SE area.   Lately however Wurm has been boring it has become a chore just to maintain things but I still support the developers all this time keeping at least one premium account.  Since I have reach this stage I have lost my entertainment value in Wurm since it has been stagnant these last few years.  Yes we have receive new servers and even a new pvp ones like Epic and Challenge but even those became a bore.  New content was released but it was mostly visual and nothing for me to get excited about anymore for this game.  

These last couple weeks I been telling myself I will play Wurm but always find an excuse not to and play something else. 

What do you guys suggest at this point of time should I sell and quit or hold out in the long run and see if the spark can be rekindled somewhere down the future?  Will there even be a future in Wurm.  IMHO Ive been waiting for bridges to come out since I heard talks about in 2008 and even that didnt get me excited enough to play Wurm again.  

I really enjoyed my time playing this game and met a real awesome group of people.  Not in my gaming time have I seen such a good gaming community that help each other out and I have been entertained with some of the Wurm dramas over the years.

I have been thinking about this over the last couple of weeks and I would appreciate your guys opinion and suggestions.

Jollibee 

Hiatus or trying something new, like a very wierd project, or whole new gameplay style.

Usually if i take a hiatus and i still feel the same way, ill make a drastic change like (some pvp examples as this is where i play) converting, or making a new deed in a very different environment.

hiatus usually does it though. Just take a break for a few weeks, try again, if it doesnt click, try a few months. Most people always come back and it's just a matter of time for that joy to revive, and something will revive it, either you won't be burned out anymore, you will be around new people, or drastic gameplay changes were made via yourself or the dev team.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 6

Hiatus or trying something new, like a very wierd project, or whole new gameplay style.

Usually if i take a hiatus and i still feel the same way, ill make a drastic change like (some pvp examples as this is where i play) converting, or making a new deed in a very different environment.

hiatus usually does it though. Just take a break for a few weeks, try again, if it doesnt click, try a few months. Most people always come back and it's just a matter of time for that joy to revive, and something will revive it, either you won't be burned out anymore, you will be around new people, or drastic gameplay changes were made via yourself or the dev team.

This. big plusses on this side - if you decide to come back you have the char, the contacts and skills on the char. Building a new acc mght be a fun side project but in general its alot of work for nothing. Also i did sell my "original" acc and regret it, afaik most people who sell their main acc that they have greateted from scratch regret it. There is a special bond to it. Mine was a crappy acc, but still miss it. Ofc if you take a break and still don´t want to play then sell.

Thats my suggestion if you are not after the money due IRL reasons.  If you need money - Sell.

• Like 1

Take a break. Most people tend to come back unless they sold there account and are unable to buy it back.

This. big plusses on this side - if you decide to come back you have the char, the contacts and skills on the char. Building a new acc mght be a fun side project but in general its alot of work for nothing. Also i did sell my "original" acc and regret it, afaik most people who sell their main acc that they have greateted from scratch regret it. There is a special bond to it. Mine was a crappy acc, but still miss it. Ofc if you take a break and still don´t want to play then sell.

Thats my suggestion if you are not after the money due IRL reasons.  If you need money - Sell.

Yeah Im not really in need of money so selling my stuff in a rush is not needed.  Maybe I just need more time or maybe I should downsize and sell some of my characters since I have a couple?

Thinking of keeping my original and selling the rest incase I do play again. 

• Like 2

Yeah Im not really in need of money so selling my stuff in a rush is not needed.  Maybe I just need more time or maybe I should downsize and sell some of my characters since I have a couple?

Thinking of keeping my original and selling the rest incase I do play again. 

That sounds the best for me. And if you are not after money you can always sell the char in a few weeks or months when you have decide to not play wurm again.

I wouldn't sell anything unless you really need to financially. YOu never getting the money vs time spent from a wurm account. It's an terrible ratio. 

Everyone needs a wurm break.

• Like 1

Don't sell anything. Take a break for a couple months. that's what i did in the last 3 years...

I think the best part of the game is the bond you make with your friends and characters. For me I can't even think of selling my accounts, I've put too much time into them to feel good about what little money I get back.

Take a break and give it a try after you get more than one new content to work with. All to often I find myself chasing updates and when I finish it I find myself waiting for the next new thing.

Another thing I do is always have a dozen projects going at once so I can rotate when I get bored with one. If you can keep yourself to playing a few hours at a time that might help the chore part of the game.

Although I say this, I want to be selfish and convince you to stay. You will be missed and you will always have a home to return to if you come back.

I think the best part of the game is the bond you make with your friends and characters. For me I can't even think of selling my accounts, I've put too much time into them to feel good about what little money I get back.

Take a break and give it a try after you get more than one new content to work with. All to often I find myself chasing updates and when I finish it I find myself waiting for the next new thing.

Another thing I do is always have a dozen projects going at once so I can rotate when I get bored with one. If you can keep yourself to playing a few hours at a time that might help the chore part of the game.

Although I say this, I want to be selfish and convince you to stay. You will be missed and you will always have a home to return to if you come back.

Yeah as much as I want to keep playing I think Im just going to take a long break down size the amount of deeds I own and sell some items that Im not  going to use during my absences.  I will still maintain that market and slowly improve it.  

I've taken breaks several times in the years i've played. Usually about 2-4 months long. sometimes shorter. Trying new stuff also works, moving to a new place and etc. Making new friends and such.

If you have friends in game like I do, they will babysit your deed or even keep your special items safe and return them when you decide you are ready to come back. I took a 3 month break at one point and my friends tended my (all both of them at the time) horses the whole time I was gone - replanting packed grass and what not. A stranger at the time and now a very good in-game friend even watched my house and its contents. 

It makes it easier to take a break when you know your stuff is cared for and that if you decide not to come back, someone you think is worthy get its.

I disbanded a deed on Deliverance that I had for 2-3 years. It was simply because I had too many going and I could not manage them all.

Even though I did it for a good reason, I still regret doing it. I can only imagine what I would feel like if I had invested even more time into it as you obviously have.

I would suggest that if you are able, take a rest and come back re-invigorated.

Jollibee, Didn't you just recently finally get that Market deed up and running north of Green Dog? Now you think of leaving the game?

Anyway, if your account was created way back in 2007 it is way too valuable to just sell off to someone else in terms of what you will receive for it. Why give all that history and time spent to someone else who has invested nothing in it other than money. I hardly think they will appreciate all your accomplishments that are not directly evident from your skill levels. Even then certain skills and stats are built up over years of playtime in game. You can see this in things such as fighting sub-skills where they are much lower than the FS that reflect grinding it up over a short period of time. Characteristics as well reflect years of time in game.

If you are fed up with the game and care nothing further about it then selling out your account for monetary gain out of indifference would fit but that doesn't reflect in your OP comments. Better to just let premium expire and let the account rest until you feel a desire to return. After a year of not playing then you would I think have a clearer picture of your desires to return or not.

I would never sell any of my accounts nor give them away to anyone else but that is just me and influences my advice to others as well. Hard to respect accounts that are just treated as commodities, is my viewpoint. Mine will all just vanish with me when the inevitable end time comes.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I would not sell a wurm Ian will ALWAYS come back I have played since your time as well and know from expirience.

I would say don't sell if you take a long break best bet...

But my personal opinion is to try something completely different. Get completely away from what's normal for you, even if with a different toon, start a new toon. I can tell you that wurm is not what keeps me playing, but the people I play with and what we as a group are trying to accomplish.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

You can never quit wurm, you will always end up coming back.