Sign in to follow this  
Corvyn

If You Keybind An Action, And Hold That Key Down, It Auto Queues That Action

So apparently someone got banned because that looks like botting. I am building a deed right now that requires a lot of surface mining, and because i am lazy - all i want to do is hold down that M button until i run out of stamina. However i would prefer not to be banned. Therefore can anyone confirm whether or not this action is ban prone?

• Like 1

Key locking is not permitted, says right there in the rules

Is that what it is called? Keylocking? Well then now i know. Kinda troll to put it in the game as a temptation :(

What if your are holding down the button and do respond to the GM when/if he or she shows up?

"keylocking", I believe, in this context refers to using a form of automated game play. ie. Jamming or weighting the key down while you go do something else. 

The big problem here is it would be really tempting to leave your finger on the button while your attention is on something else. Say watching a movie, reading a book, etc... If a GM shows up and starts testing you while your attention is elsewhere you'll likely fail their tests.

You are allowed to use keyboard or mouse macros to fill your queue, so you press one button and it does your max actions. Worthwhile if u got good mindlogic. I use "X-mouse button control" software.

Edited by Omar

Is that what it is called? Keylocking? Well then now i know. Kinda troll to put it in the game as a temptation :(

Don't let this guy completely scare you.

For many years, I have laid on the "m" button to mine, until I get the message that I am too busy. Only once in my 600+ days worth of log-in time have I been macro-checked, and that was because it was an intentional joke done by a GM friend.

GMs are very thorough when they check into someone who possibly may be macroing. They don't just ban you for laying on keys. They check to see if there is actually someone actively behind the keyboard or if they're mashing afk. They don't want any form of automation.- As long as you're actively behind the keyboard (and laying on those keybinds with your fingers), you're fine.

• Like 1

if u just hold down the M key it will kick u off for some kinda buffer overflow also but u wont be banned.

Keylocking is about weighing down the key with an object. If you hold down the key until you run out of stamina, this is allowed. The server will disconnect you if you hold down te key long enough

• Like 2

Macro

Definition: A macro is any software/hardware that automates the sending of actions to the game server without user interaction and is not permitted.

A ) Key locking (IE weighing down a key on your keyboard) is not permitted.

B ) Multiboxing (automated sending of actions to more than one client at the same time) is not permitted.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/123123-wurm-rules/

Just don't use an object and walk away.

Edited by bwg
  • Like 1

Don't let this guy completely scare you.

For many years, I have laid on the "m" button to mine, until I get the message that I am too busy. Only once in my 600+ days worth of log-in time have I been macro-checked, and that was because it was an intentional joke done by a GM friend.

GMs are very thorough when they check into someone who possibly may be macroing. They don't just ban you for laying on keys. They check to see if there is actually someone actively behind the keyboard or if they're mashing afk. They don't want any form of automation.- As long as you're actively behind the keyboard (and laying on those keybinds with your fingers), you're fine.

Yeah i do the same.. Mash F (my keybind for mine) until i get too busy and then talk with other people. If you are behind the keyboard you wont get banned. (Hopefully)

But i get the feeling this guy holds his M key even after he gets the too busy message. Or does he not?

That is kinda important to know.

often, late in night, I'm falling asleep, while waiting actions in queue to finish ... in such situation it may happen, finger ready above key could drop down and press that key for some prolonged time

dunno if it may be considered keylocking, because my response could fail, because I'm dormant for while

sure, best solution is log off wurm and visit bed, but you know that, "just few more actions and I will go" can easily turn into one more hour :P

@wkm, it would not matter. You would be repressing the keys after a minute or three. It's just that the server might DC you before you repress.

often, late in night, I'm falling asleep, while waiting actions in queue to finish ... in such situation it may happen, finger ready above key could drop down and press that key for some prolonged timedunno if it may be considered keylocking, because my response could fail, because I'm dormant for whilesure, best solution is log off wurm and visit bed, but you know that, "just few more actions and I will go" can easily turn into one more hour :P

Don't worry, you cannot succesfully keylock imping. There'd be no point, as you need to repair and switch tools. Keylocking cases are judged by the GMs, and we wouldn't ban anyone for something as silly as that.

Thanks everyone for clarifying. Now back to the monotony of making ribbons.

Great to see a clear and concise informative thread. :)

Keylocking?

And miss the thrill of seeing the progress bar do its thing for the millionth time?

Once you really get "into the zone" it is almost a meditative thing to watch that bar.

Moved to Community Assistance.

Keylocking?

And miss the thrill of seeing the progress bar do its thing for the millionth time?

Once you really get "into the zone" it is almost a meditative thing to watch that bar.

... And would miss the excitement on the drumroll of the next rare shard :-P

I have double filled during lag so many times I can't count. I've never been questioned. I don't think anyone really cares about a couple of extra "you are too busy to do that." However, I have never held the key down as I assumed what Brq said would happen.

Why would anyone want to continue repeating actions when they are completely out of stamina by using this method? Even when you use your full queue each repeated action gets a longer timer associated with it.

Many times I find it better and faster to just queue up 4 actions rather than 6 to create the items faster but then again I pay attention to the game screen while I am doing things. Better still to run 2 characters at same time, switching between them to stay occupied and accomplish twice as much, with the associated skill raises as well.

With keybinds for things like mining and digging I just hit that key the exact number of times I want to perform that action. Then switch over to the next character to do the same or maybe work the crafting window with that one. Really don't see any benefit to holding the keybind key down when it can easily be tapped the desired number of times.

=Ayes=

I have double filled during lag so many times I can't count. I've never been questioned. I don't think anyone really cares about a couple of extra "you are too busy to do that." However, I have never held the key down as I assumed what Brq said would happen.

I have pretty decent mind logic and stamina. When I'm digging I'll just hammer the digging hotkey over and over again to queue up a batch of actions. I might see "too busy" twice, I might see it seven or eight times. Never had a problem.

• Like 2

I let my toddler/ child ( he just turned 5) sit on my lap and play when I'm farming or doing bul crafts ( strings bricks planks etc) he does a good job of reading words and following simple tasks ( click, on the word 'create' four times. Or Point to the plants on the Right and hit the letter that 'farm' begins with... etc) well needless to say dexterity and tactile feedback a bit lacking he often hits the keys to register a few ques.

I find it insensitive ;) to reprimand a customer due to ineffective motor control on ones person regardless of age. Most countries have laws to, protect, disability status; I'm shocked to learn a country as socially progessive as Sweden would not protect individuals of such from the insensitive behavior of an entertainment company.

J/k

• Like 1

Falling asleep to where your face is weighing down the keys will not necessarily get one in trouble, as the pattern of the keys would be rather distinct.

Though, I'm sure it will provide the investigating GM a welcome bit of amusement.

Just don't use an object and walk away.

Can you clarify this point? If I'm doing something monotonous like mining, I'll often queue up 5 actions and then walk away from the computer for a minute or two to do other stuff around the apartment. If a GM checks on me during this time, can I get in trouble? The rules seem to suggest "no" because this doesn't fit the definition of macroing there, but the "don't use an object and walk away" advice seems to suggest "yes".