Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

Collision Clarification

Less money less paid staff less server resources.  Good luck at this rate.

If they keep up at this rate, Their gonna live quite a long time mordraug. A dozen players leaving isn't game breaking, it really isn't. And if things do get desperate, They can always remove the ability to pay for prem time ingame to suck us dry of our cash, Forcing us to pay via the shop. wurm simply put won't die, not for quite some time anyways. This update won't kill it, and neither will any future plans they have in store. Only thing that can hurt the game at this point is for a roll back/lost data.

Edited by akaedis
  • Like 1

Sorry mate, are you telling me that the ability of "falling" horizontally is what makes bridges possible?

Then you shouldn't have made bridges possible, cause falling horizontal is simply game breaking, its stupid, and a 5 year old would have seen the problem with allowing that.

But in all honesty, i do understand that the common sense of a 5 year old might be much to expect here... But here's a lot of people telling you its bonkers right now. So please do something about it.

If you had to change "gravity" to add collision, then you did it wrong.

I said nothing about horizontal movement or bouncing, as a matter of fact i've thought, and posted, that the bouncing in this game is wrong for years.  Jumping off of a 5 meter drop should incapacitate you, not give you a bump on the arm, and the way the game covers horizontal distance when falling is also silly, but none of THAT has been changed from what i have tried since the update, I can still run down my one path and safely jump several of the switchbacks (i move horizontally the same distance I always have) and some of the jumps i have made from different slopes on my deed don't seem significantly different than the ones I've made in the past.

Several years ago when bored I used to skydive off of dragonsfang on indy with my mag priest... get to the top, get a good running start, and you could single bounce (for a light/med bruise) off the one corner far enough to hit the water below and take no damage. Somewhere on this forum, (or possibly the last one) I have a thread about how broken that is.  The problem isn't that falling mechanics have changed, its that there is more attention being drawn to them because...

What changed is, the bounces used to be stopped midair by the infinite height walls and no longer are, and the collision models for them DID need to be changed to make bridges work, which is what i said in the above post.

I'm all for the falling physics to be fixed, have been for years because its been broken for years, but no one gave a damn because it didn't really matter because the walls were infinitely tall.

On the other hand, we already get people that complain because they take damage for lagging a bit while digging, so boosting fall damage has some downsides as well unless done very carefully. 

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/93345-feedback-request-on-fence-stuff/

"We have the fix to this already, closing the hole at the top of the fence but it isn't ingame yet. "  

Sooooo.... were we lied to or are there thieves on IRC ensuring it's not added?

Had to add this I just read on another thread, it's spot on:

If they keep up at this rate, Their gonna live quite a long time mordraug. A dozen players leaving isn't game breaking, it really isn't. And if things do get desperate, They can always remove the ability to pay for prem time ingame to suck us dry of our cash, Forcing us to pay via the shop. wurm simply put won't die, not for quite some time anyways. This update won't kill it, and neither will any future plans they have in store. Only thing that can hurt the game at this point is for a roll back/lost data.

It's lucky that there's a loyal group of hard-core players who are prepared to keep supporting it as-is, but that's gift that should be used to fix the problems, not proof that everything is hunky-dory.

Edited by Mordraug

in that quote he's referring to a hole in the top of the fence model where you could fall into a tall stone wall or the like from the second story of a building and actually be stuck inside the model itself iirc. 

I think that did end up being fixed actually. 

I think that did end up being fixed actually. 

I'd agree except.... well... so many people so frequently stuck in fences .... HEH

Way major mechanics keep getting changed without warning and barely any explanation beyond "secure your stuff so we can blame you for anything that goes wrong" is getting to be downright dishonest.

Not just people we have to worry about evidently Trolls bounce too!   :o

I found one on the second floor of my market building which is right beside a cliff.

Sorry I was so surprised I didn't think about a screenshot until later when I was trying to duplicate it's entry. :unsure:

Not just people we have to worry about evidently Trolls bounce too!   :o

I found one on the second floor of my market building which is right beside a cliff.

Sorry I was so surprised I didn't think about a screenshot until later when I was trying to duplicate it's entry. :unsure:

i recall reading somewhere that creatures can pathfind their way up to other floors now.

Edited by akaedis

Sooooo.... were we lied to or are there thieves on IRC ensuring it's not added?

A secretive cabal of thieves ensuring devs dont make changes that will impact them?

Nope, totally doesn't exist. Im super cereal.

Oh look over there... something shiny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yCtH2xUBXg

i recall reading somewhere that creatures can pathfind their way up to other floors now.

No the bottom area is secure, before this trolls and tower guards landed on the roof and walked off of it.

Pictures:

Market building

Market_zpsvpl9a3cd.jpg

launch point

launch%20point_zpsiyuepl0c.jpg

Landing point

landing%20point_zpsbewko2if.jpg

I have since added rope fences which make it more difficult but they can still bounce into the open balcony.

Im still waiting for Wossos explanation as why why he thinks a post made 1 and a half years ago which wasnt even directly related to this happening was ample warning for this change to come in and that we should have known about it. If thats the PR managers response then magranon save us all...

Still waiting.

• Like 2

I'm coming back after a couple of months break, and have to say this is bad.

I decided like 1.5 years ago to build my deed facing a huge mountain. slowly carving a flat terrace in the west face of the mountain. lots of surface mining, building tall walls all around, laying out the buildings, making my deed secure, etc.

Now you say all that is just wasted time.

Honestly its very disappointing, and no amount of excuses is enough to justify that.

• Like 2

I said nothing about horizontal movement or bouncing, as a matter of fact i've thought, and posted, that the bouncing in this game is wrong for years.  Jumping off of a 5 meter drop should incapacitate you, not give you a bump on the arm, and the way the game covers horizontal distance when falling is also silly, but none of THAT has been changed from what i have tried since the update, I can still run down my one path and safely jump several of the switchbacks (i move horizontally the same distance I always have) and some of the jumps i have made from different slopes on my deed don't seem significantly different than the ones I've made in the past.

Several years ago when bored I used to skydive off of dragonsfang on indy with my mag priest... get to the top, get a good running start, and you could single bounce (for a light/med bruise) off the one corner far enough to hit the water below and take no damage. Somewhere on this forum, (or possibly the last one) I have a thread about how broken that is.  The problem isn't that falling mechanics have changed, its that there is more attention being drawn to them because...

What changed is, the bounces used to be stopped midair by the infinite height walls and no longer are, and the collision models for them DID need to be changed to make bridges work, which is what i said in the above post.

I'm all for the falling physics to be fixed, have been for years because its been broken for years, but no one gave a damn because it didn't really matter because the walls were infinitely tall.

On the other hand, we already get people that complain because they take damage for lagging a bit while digging, so boosting fall damage has some downsides as well unless done very carefully. 

The problem isn't really the fall damage, but the ability to move up to 7 tiles while falling, that's a 28 meter jump... Never mind Olympic records, that's Supehero stuff right there.

That being said, i've jumped montains before, and never have noticed moving horizontally that much.

Regardless, fixing that movement rate should have been one of the primary tasks WHILE implementing the Collision changes, not something to be done sometime in the future afterwards.

I guess i should expect that from Wurm developers. Its all about the PR titles, never about actual service.

"ooh server 4 times bigger than our LARGEST server to date, no one else ever did this", yeah, they didn't because guess what: LAG! Scattered resources, travel times, etc are all freaking huge and severely hindering.

"Boats that are better than before, one year in the making to improve collision, character positioning and animations", resulted in less unique wood textures, same issues with sails being in the way, and no more easy crow's nest. YAY!!

"Bridges"= bugs galore, many of the previous security features aren't secure anymore, etc.

Want me to keep going?

Edited by KanePT

The problem isn't really the fall damage, but the ability to move up to 7 tiles while falling, that's a 28 meter jump... Never mind Olympic records, that's Supehero stuff right there.

That being said, i've jumped montains before, and never have noticed moving horizontally that much.

Regardless, fixing that movement rate should have been one of the primary tasks WHILE implementing the Collision changes, not something to be done sometime in the future afterwards.

I guess i should expect that from Wurm developers. Its all about the PR titles, never about actual service.

"ooh server 4 times bigger than our LARGEST server to date, no one else ever did this", yeah, they didn't because guess what: LAG! Scattered resources, travel times, etc are all freaking huge and severely hindering.

"Boats that are better than before, one year in the making to improve collision, character positioning and animations", resulted in less unique wood textures, same issues with sails being in the way, and no more easy crow's nest. YAY!!

"Bridges"= bugs galore, many of the previous security features aren't secure anymore, etc.

Want me to keep going?

Keep going all you want kane, If you don't like the game, you are always free to leave. Nobody is holding you hostage here. Feel free to walk out the door any time. I love the new changes, And if i didn't like them, Like the archery nerf, im not gonna ###### about it all day long. Its their game, their choices, i & you have our own rights to stay and enjoy what they offer or leave. 

Keep going all you want kane, If you don't like the game, you are always free to leave. Nobody is holding you hostage here. Feel free to walk out the door any time. I love the new changes, And if i didn't like them, Like the archery nerf, im not gonna ###### about it all day long. Its their game, their choices, i & you have our own rights to stay and enjoy what they offer or leave.

I have never seen "screw the people who have put money into your product, because who cares what the customers think" used as a successful business strategy, ever.

• Like 1

What exactly are people leaving outside locked doors they're so worried about?

Pets that we've been breeding for a long time. And don't be so sure that someone falling into your deed can't override the no-pick-up and writ settings.

if you are doing this then atleast add something like bobwire/spikes for defensive that will hurt the player more than just the fall

Say "barbed wire." My friend who loses his mind from "grill cheese" would die from this.   :D

No one listens if they think they are getting yelled at.

When people are at their job, I think they do. Money is involved here, customers are reacting to a payment "pact" we have with a service provider.

"I stopped working because my customers raised their tone at me"  said no professional ever.

Don't get me wrong, I like that it's now a possibility to add flying and many other features. But I think being able to get into someones deed is wrong.

If for example, one of your pens had hell horses, I can drop in there, have them aggro me, kill 'em, and then karma out. That isn't right. Imo

Would be great if we could add a role for attacking non aggro creatures too.  So non citizens could not attack anything on your deed.

Would be great if we could add a role for attacking non aggro creatures too.  So non citizens could not attack anything on your deed.

Disable "attack non-citizens" on-deed which doesn't let others target first, but hell horses aggro on their own which renders the deed setting useless.

Because you know, it's so easy to get around 70 taming then score/breed 5-speed hell horses, least we can do is cater to some goddamn tweens hoping to get mommy's attention by being so badass they sneak in PvP actions with PvE consequences.

Some people do not build roofs nor should they have to.  Now you are saying that if we do not build roofs people can just bounce into our houses because oh to hell with any sort of any reason.

Guess what happened to me during my play time last night. I got booted from my cart right into a wall where I was stuck until I relogged. Tell me again about this fix?

I have never seen "screw the people who have put money into your product, because who cares what the customers think" used as a successful business strategy, ever.

"Screw the game and ourselves in order to suit a few crazed costumers" definitely isn't healthy either.

• Like 1

Please, remove horizontal movement from falling, hundreds of mountainside deeds can be affected by this.  It amounts to unlocking deed fences, and doors from houses under construction.  With infinite height gone I was able to illegally enter both of my deeds and 4 of the 9 houses I have under construction.  Never in the 6 years I have been here have deed settings been bullet proof, and as Wurm constantly changes I don't believe they ever will be.  The way it is working now one would need to build row after row of fences above to completely eliminate the possibility of gliding in, and increasing fall damage is an even worse option with the many effects that would have.

• Like 2