Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Bridging the Gap: LOCK PLEASE

This thread has me both fascinated and slightly puzzled. If it was a case of a motorway being built through an untouched and pristine wilderness preserve then I could understand and totally agree with the fierce resistance.

But it`s not.

The boat bridge has been there for ages, so too has the road network connecting it to everywhere else, so there`s nothing really 'new' being added, just whatever foundation work the bridge needs done to the handful of tiles where it touches land.

After glancing at the map, anywhere south of Raider Nation on the isle`s west coast could be ideal for a bridge, and there are already coastal roads in place on both sides of the water.

If it was me, and someone was offering assistance with labour, logistics and materials on a project of this scale then I`d be more than happy to bring them on board.

But reading through this thread it seems to be more of a case of the Blackdog residents yelling "It`s our bridge. Go away!", which is a pity.

Shadz, I`m sure I saw a quote from Tich somewhere, stating that bridges can`t be built diagonally. If I`m remembering that correctly, then that would make bridging the bay at Freedom Docks a non-starter.

• Like 1

This thread has me both fascinated and slightly puzzled. If it was a case of a motorway being built through an untouched and pristine wilderness preserve then I could understand and totally agree with the fierce resistance.

But it`s not.

The boat bridge has been there for ages, so too has the road network connecting it to everywhere else, so there`s nothing really 'new' being added, just whatever foundation work the bridge needs done to the handful of tiles where it touches land.

After glancing at the map, anywhere south of Raider Nation on the isle`s west coast could be ideal for a bridge, and there are already coastal roads in place on both sides of the water.

If it was me, and someone was offering assistance with labour, logistics and materials on a project of this scale then I`d be more than happy to bring them on board.

But reading through this thread it seems to be more of a case of the Blackdog residents yelling "It`s our bridge. Go away!", which is a pity.

Shadz, I`m sure I saw a quote from Tich somewhere, stating that bridges can`t be built diagonally. If I`m remembering that correctly, then that would make bridging the bay at Freedom Docks a non-starter.

Agreed.

Shads did mention earlier on that it was more of a straight shot in game and that the map is slightly inaccurate.

We need some kind of collaborative map where we can add layers for the suggested locations, then we can go out and do some surveying.

I know the google maps interface can do this, I'd just have to spend some time creating it....  let me see what I can do... no promises though, with my new role I have a lot on!

Is there anything confirmed yet that people want adding to the community page.. see if we can rally some troops?

I plan on doing some surveying of the Maple Island area soon. That might be our first project site. It will be a small enough gap to conquer with relative ease and should serve as a good initial interest and starting point for the team.

Bridging the strait of Kinoss might also be worth looking into.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1

Masonry is at about 75

We can definitely use your help in the construction of the bridges.  Xallo offered to plan the lengthy segments for the project.

count me in to help plan and build bridges :)

• Like 1

This is where I have surveyed and found the best placement for the bridge connecting Maple Island to the central mainland.  On the Maple Island side, the bridge falls on a strip of tiles between the perimeter of The Guild of Artificers and the perimeter of Lakeview Point.  This is beneficial as it doesn't require deed permission from either deed to complete the bridge.  I've tried contacting the deed owners, but only one of them seems to have a forum account.  I will of course continue to attempt to contact them.  The central coast connection lands at Three Hollows Heights.  I've spoken with the owners and they seem very friendly and willing to open up a section of the East coast of their deed for a bridge landing zone.

qYOcUQm.png

I have yet to count the span of tiles between these two points, however I estimate it to be somewhere between 130-160 tiles in length.  I'm not sure on the maximum depth to raise.  I'll do a formal analysis soon to estimate the required dirt for the project, and to decide if we should use the tower method for the connection spires, or if we can afford to waste the dirt and create dirt connection spires.

Rejoice!!!

EDIT:  The total length will span 106 tiles, with 102 of those tiles being bridges.  So after some lengthy math I figured out the estimated dirt needed for this project.  The number is only the amount of dirt needed to reach just above water level to build towers as the supports for the bridges.  This number is also only taking into account the dropping of dirt to raise spires, and not the dredging of dirt to be re-used after the spire is complete, so essentially the pyramid method of raising dirt.  Prepare yourself, this is staggering..... 500,000 dirt is needed for this project.  Keep in mind that this is a high estimation, and that more than likely the required dirt wouldn't exceed 300,000.

Anyone still interested in helping with the project?

Do we have anyone who would be interested in donating large amounts of dirt?

The best option of where to place such a bridge is in the picture below, however it makes traveling from the central part of Independence over to Maple Island a lot harder.  What do you all think?  I haven't surveyed this area yet, however its roughly 60-80% shorter in length than the original location.

EOm4Xt7.png

Edited by Slickshot

Talk to Plowe before you start planning a bridge to the island he owns most of the deeds on the island.

Talk to Plowe before you start planning a bridge to the island he owns most of the deeds on the island.

Don't need to talk to him.  Found an area he doesn't have deeded.

I would recommend that you talk to the locals before bridging the gap to the island. If he tells me he does not want it I have plenty of time to help him remove it.

• Like 1

I would recommend that you talk to the locals before bridging the gap to the island. If he tells me he does not want it I have plenty of time to help him remove it.

That would be considered trolling, so I'm thanking you ahead of time for putting that here in a public thread as proof of intent.

On the other hand, the coastal area to the West in the original image I posted is deeded, however the deed owner is fully cooperating with the project idea and is encouraged to help out.  His neighbors are also interested in helping the bridge project in that area.

You don't bridge to an island without talking to the people who live on the island. If you bridge to the island without talking to them first you will learn the same lesson you should of learned with BDI.

• Like 1

You don't bridge to an island without talking to the people who live on the island. If you bridge to the island without talking to them first you will learn the same lesson you should of learned with BDI.

Again, you are shooting yourself in the foot on this one.  If the land is not deeded, it's free game.  If many people in the community want to support the project as well then it just goes more in our favor against you trolling the project.  This project is designed to be useful and a collaborative effort from the community.  Stop trying to pick a fight for no good reason.

Edited by Slickshot

It's for the "community" then get in contact with the ones who live on the island and stop trying to force a project through that you can put your name on.

• Like 2

It's for the "community" then get in contact with the ones who live on the island and stop trying to force a project through that you can put your name on.

Go back and read my post where I linked the picture for the project site.  I clearly stated that I attempted to get into contact with the deed owners near that shore area, and that I was still going to keep trying to contact them.

I'll say this one last time, please stop picking fights for no reason.  Stop trolling this thread.

Note: No one owns Maple Island. If there is an area where I can build something that isn't deeded, I am completely allowed to do so without needing the permission of anyone else in the area first, ESPECIALLY when my intent is something helpful and useful such as a bridge for the community.

That's funny considering your pm makes it sound like you don't care what the residents of the island want.

You seem to be forgetting that there are two sides to this.  You are starting drama over what the absent residents of the island "want" without you actually knowing what they want or don't want.  I'm supporting the cause where the main-landers across the pond DO want a bridge connected to the island.  So, in truth, we have one side who is supporting the project, and another "side" who hasn't spoken about the project to date. 

Can we move on from this now?  I said it once before that I wanted this thread to be a positive place for bridge ideas and projects to start up, and not be a place for haters and negative trolls. 

I am not a "negative troll" everyone who calls that island home are people I know and enjoyed talking to when I owned Lakeview. Even now they are my friends and I will help them with anything they need.

• Like 1

I am not a "negative troll" everyone who calls that island home are people I know and enjoyed talking to when I owned Lakeview. Even now they are my friends and I will help them with anything they need.

That's nice and well and good, but the point remains:  So far I've seen support FOR the bridge from people effected by it, and have yet to see any rally against the bridge by people effected by it.  Also, I'll mention once more, the area of land for the connection of the bridge is not on a deed; It is free for such a project.

Edited by Slickshot

So pretty much screw the people who call it home I am going to put a bridge here because the people who DON'T live on the island are ok with it.

• Like 1

So pretty much screw the people who call it home I am going to put a bridge here because the people who DON'T live on the island are ok with it.

I'm going to point something out to you, and I hope it makes sense because it is an undeniable fact.

There is a boat bridge connecting the mainland to the island. This bridge allows anyone and everyone to travel to Maple Island whenever they want. They can move to the island, carve out some land, explore or do anything they want. The real-bridge doesn't change or alter any of these facts and purposes of the boat bridge, it only allows for quicker travel by wagon, cart or horse-back. The real bridge would serve the exact same function of the boat bridge, however it would do it with much more convenience.

Edited by Slickshot

but the east side bridge you are drawing in, that is not replacing any boat bridge and seems instead designed to promote a major traffic thoroughfare connecting Southeast Indy to Freedom Market/Howl?  Otherwise, Maple Island likely gets 1-2 adventurers a month exploring that area (which islanders might be happy to promote on a small scale)  but a pair of bridges linked by highway is a completely different matter.  I never could figure out what was even the point of a single bridge on the west side to an area not many people ever have much interest to travel, but the sudden addition of a bridge on the east side, where no boat bridge has ever existed, changes that; if it is part of an unspoken project for a highway to SE Indy then it suddenly makes more sense.  However if you cannot build a connecting road at all (especially if island dwellers decide to fence off their deeds+perimeters because they suddenly feel "aggressively invaded") then it just becomes a vainglory monument with no real function. Also, not sure if you saw Tich's post that one cannot plan or build bridges in a perimeter unless they have building permissions there, maybe not an issue I was just not clear when you said the spot was "between" perimeters of two deeds. There is no perimeter there either I assume, or it is all a moot point because no bridge could be built. 

If you are only talking about one single bridge, then the smaller east side bridge seems less difficult and more sensible as a single bridge project.

I would think it makes a LOT of sense to actually talk to people who live on the island first. "Tried to contact them" maybe means you looked in local once or twice, saw no one there, and shrugged it off. They might live in a different timezone or needing to take a few weeks off from the game, or playing on an alt on a PvP server at the moment.  Have you sent them a forum PM, which would probably forward to their email if they are taking a few weeks off from the game?  Because that is what I would do if I was in fact serious about wanting to make contact.  Instead, we keep hearing about how you do not have to do any of that and no one can stop you if you decide to do it over their protests.   On the other hand it is possible they are DELIGHTED at the chance to build a dual bridge superhighway project, and would love to be in the planning from the start.  We don't know, since no one has actually talked to them.

These are simple questions I think many of us would like answered and not "attacks" or "trolling".  I hope you are able to accept them as simple questions for information.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Seems to be a familiar argument.

Btw brash, as loath as I am to defend slickshot, he has asked in freedom chat if anyone was on from the alliance those deeds are a part of and or for anyone from those two deeds to pm him. But only once for each of the above items.

Edited by Drpox

Btw brash, as loath as I am to defend slickshot, he has asked in freedom chat if anyone was on from the alliance those deeds are a part of and or for anyone from those two deeds to pm him. But only once for each of the above items.

Well, this thread also could be constituted as an invitation for the deed owners to contact him, prior to them taking any action, as they have publicly stated intentions ahead of time  and left us all with very precise maps. If anyone from the deeds is around, or has friends around, they probably would know unless they are taking time from the game.  Not everyone follows ingame chat, not everyone follows forums, it is hard to contact people on break from the game but I have found in the past, a forum PM will  sometimes  "alert" them at their normal email  even if they have not logged into game or forum doe a long period. I would imagine by now, at least a few people have tried PMing Plowe. .   I hope it is clear I do NOT think he is being devious as Slickshot has been extremely candid.  Both about his plans, and about his views on server "public project" interests vs deedholder landcontrol interests.   

So the main questions are fact finding questions

• are the areas where the bridge meets the land,  inside of perimeters or not in perimeters (Slickshot may assume it is similar to building a highway, where the game does not require you to get any deed permissions if the roadway is within a perimeter. Tich says this is not true for bridges though Slickshot may or may not know this).  Or he may feel he already answered this, I was not clear whether between perimeters of two deeds mean an area not in perimeters, or an area not in deeds. In any case the game will either stop him or not stop him so its a moot point. 

are two bridge east and west  being planned to open travel to the southeast Indy, or is the second east bridge suggested as an alternative to the west bridge. I ask because I am curious, and because it affects the discussion about whether this is no different than having a boat bridge on one side. 

has the effort to contact Plowe been "everything reasonable" and what exactly does that mean to different people? Kchat + local chat? Once, or seven times seven? I only suggest the forum PM as some people do not know it gets forwarded (usually) to a persons normal email.  I have used it in the past to alert neighbors whose deeds were getting decay and about to expire. 

And Slickshot is under no obligation to respond to me in any way ---  especially if he questions my motives for asking questions.

If he thinks I am only trying to be disruptive, then he is perfectly right to ignore comments he believes are "just trolling" no matter how sincere the question asker thinks they are being. 

I do not live in the area, so I am not a vested person  I will never use this bridge and it will never affect my local area. It is perfectly fine to ignore me as someone not even affected by this.

It is, truly, None Of My Business.    

(I am just asking because I am genuinely curious and nosy  When one asks for "public discussion", one gets all kinds of public riffraff showing up thinking there is going to be some kind of discussion and thinking they are part of the "public" ... in any case I am out of the thread if my part of the discussion is deemed to be over.)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1