Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Bridging the Gap: LOCK PLEASE

Towers can have a Mag altar that covers span of bridge.  Recommend that QL be set to not take influence beyond the bridge structures. This prevents impacting deeds onshore, likewise makes it so that deeds onshore don't have to negate the tower altars in order to assure their influence.

• Like 1

Towers can have a Mag altar that covers span of bridge. Recommend that QL be set to not take influence beyond the bridge structures. This prevents impacting deeds onshore, likewise makes it so that deeds onshore don't have to negate the tower altars in order to assure their influence.

This is what I had in mind. Plus any support towers will be away from shore many many tiles so the altars wouldn't need to reach shore line.

Edited by Slickshot

By no means do I have to be project leader for every project. I just wanted to give everyone a good push in the right direction to motivate them. I certainly plan on starting up some projects soon. I'm hoping, as a community, we can construct a massively impressive bridge chain, or multiple, that will spark more awe and creativity in the game.

Apparently this was a lie.  Numerous Black Dog Island deed holders have responded in this thread letting you know that we'd get a project going for this, and thought, based on your previous posts, that you'd "be patient while working in another location".

Apparently this was a lie.  Numerous Black Dog Island deed holders have responded in this thread letting you know that we'd get a project going for this, and thought, based on your previous posts, that you'd "be patient while working in another location".

I think you're taking my eagerness to build bridges a little too offensively. I have a private message from someone suggesting that their neighbors on BDI are hard to work with and should be ignored. You are kinda proving that point at the moment.

I'm saying this; if myself and others want to make a bridge and get things rolling we will. If I don't want to wait for someone else to take initiative, then I won't. I have absolutely zero problems with taking initiative and starting up a project. That doesn't mean I have to be the leader, but if I want to get the ball rolling I certainly won't hesitate.

Accusing me of lying and trying to make me into a bad guy won't help matters, so I'd suggest backing off a little and calming down. With a little bit of communication we can come to a good understanding of what part of the project comes next. That's just how it goes.

First off it should be noted that this is in response to your edited post that opens this thread now. "Our first project will most likely start near Black Dog Island." I am sure that Aarons posts above are also in response to this. 

I would say that you have ignored the responses in this thread from 5 different members of the BDI community.  Including the leader of the Alliance that has for the last many years occupied the island.  A single PM from anyone that is not willing to come forth on this thread and voice publicly what they have to say has no standing.  There is always going to be politicking and not everyone is going to like everyone else. Using a single PM to make such a broad decision to ignore everyone else does not make much sense to me.   

I feel other then Aarons response above, we as a community have not responded in a negative manner to you performing projects to replace boat bridges.  In fact, I praise you for taking on such a project, however if your claims are as you state, then setting your target as BDI makes no logical sense.  There are already efforts being made to take on that project by people that have been planning and negotiating with the people in the area for YEARS, and therefore your time and effort is better used on another of the several large bridge projects. 

If your intention is otherwise than you have stated then I can take no responsibility for that other than to take what actions I can to protect my community.  There has been no contact from you to any community member and certainly not to me in the last 48 hours and I can say that I have been online in that time building the Black Dog Canal Bridge with Kasumi and several others. That project, by the way, is nearing completion.   Your attitude of "you will do what you want" in a community of deed holders who obviously have no say to your greater good message simply does not wash.  I am sure if someone came over to your backyard and started a community project without taking into account the needs or purposes of the community that live there, that your response would be negative. 

You do not have authority to act in the manner that you seem to think you can.  I am a single deed holder and the others here are all single deed holders but together we are a community and your lack of appreciation and respect for that community is the reason why you are getting negative feedback.  The first step of any project such as you propose is to get the buy in from the community directly affected.  We have given you a response.  Your assistance in the project may be needed, but the project will be led by the people that live in the area and have taken responsibility for our little section of Wurm.  Your insistence  that there are many projects to focus upon should indicate that you have bigger jobs elsewhere.  Leave this one to the people that are already working on it.  Have maintained the boat bridge and the signage and roads that lead to it for years.  Clearly you have other work to do elsewhere.

Edited by Celantra
  • Like 7

Eloquently stated, Celantra.  I know I would be upset if someone were about to alter my backyard without consulting me.  The residents of BDI are an outstanding group.  Indy is ginormous... To the OP, I suggest leaving BDI projects to its residents and begin elsewhere if you feel you MUST build a bridge somewhere.

Edited by Mitzie
  • Like 1

Eloquently stated, Celantra.  I know I would be upset if someone were about to alter my backyard without consulting me.  The residents of BDI are an outstanding group.  Indy is ginormous... To the OP, I suggest leaving BDI projects to its residents and begin elsewhere if you feel you MUST build a bridge somewhere.

"With a little bit of communication we can come to a good understanding of what part of the project comes next. That's just how it goes."  That's asking for consult and communication.  Calm down guys, you're looking for a fight where there isn't one.

Edited by Slickshot

I think you're taking my eagerness to build bridges a little too offensively. I have a private message from someone suggesting that their neighbors on BDI are hard to work with and should be ignored. You are kinda proving that point at the moment.

I'm saying this; if myself and others want to make a bridge and get things rolling we will. If I don't want to wait for someone else to take initiative, then I won't. I have absolutely zero problems with taking initiative and starting up a project. That doesn't mean I have to be the leader, but if I want to get the ball rolling I certainly won't hesitate.

Accusing me of lying and trying to make me into a bad guy won't help matters, so I'd suggest backing off a little and calming down. With a little bit of communication we can come to a good understanding of what part of the project comes next. That's just how it goes.

They're being hard to work with or you're being hard to work with? If I am to be blunt, you're shoving a pill down their throats doing this. Leave them alone. If they want to control what goes on in their region then let them. I'm beginning to lose a bit of respect here with what you are doing as you don't seem willing to work with the locals of an area. A good highway builder works with the locals. The same should be applied with a bridge builder.

If you want respect for this project, then you need to have respect for them and not call them out claiming they are "not easy to work with".

• Like 3

They're being hard to work with or you're being hard to work with? If I am to be blunt, you're shoving a pill down their throats doing this. Leave them alone. If they want to control what goes on in their region then let them. I'm beginning to lose a bit of respect here with what you are doing as you don't seem willing to work with the locals of an area. A good highway builder works with the locals. The same should be applied with a bridge builder.

If you want respect for this project, then you need to have respect for them and not call them out claiming they are "not easy to work with".

They obviously aren't easy to work with. The proof is in this thread. That doesn't make them bad or me bad, it just leaves everyone with a lack of communication. Yelling at someone because they want to start a project in the region you live in is a little silly. Communicating with someone, however, over how and where such a project is suitable is called cooperation. I am here, for the sake of cooperation, trying to get some Intel moving forward. All I've seen from BDI is a vague statement about doing things at their own pace. So, hypocrisy aside, is there any real plan to start a bridge project on BDI or am I able to come do this myself, because from what I've heard the people of BDI have been planning things for a long while without execution. If I'm wrong set me straight, just remember to stop trying to villainize me in the process. We're all here for the same thing. Edited by Slickshot

They obviously aren't easy to work with. The proof is in this thread. That doesn't make them bad or me bad, it just leaves everyone with a lack of communication. Yelling at someone because they want to start a project in the region you live in is a little silly. Communicating with someone, however, over how and where such a project is suitable is called cooperation. I am here, for the sake of cooperation, trying to get some Intel moving forward. All I've seen from BDI is a vague statement about doing things at their own pace. So, hypocrisy aside, is there any real plan to start a bridge project on BDI or am I able to come do this myself, because from what I've heard the people of BDI have been planning things for a long while without execution. If I'm wrong set me straight, just remember to stop trying to villainize me in the process. We're all here for the same thing.

Bridges are a new feature, depending on how many people there are and how much time they have, could mean they've got plans in place but haven't yet had the time to build a bridge. Doesn't mean they won't.

Imo, they live there, their opinions outweigh yours. IF they want a bridge and IF they want to build that bridge themselves without your help, regardless of how they say it, or how long it takes them. Why shouldn't they be allowed to do that?

• Like 2

I'm not really involved, so I probably shouldn't step in, but: They've said quite clearly that they want to do it themselves. That is communication. You've said that there are multiple bridges you want to build, so why not move on to the next one for now? 

• Like 4

I will state simply that we are following the plans that we have established.  The first step of which was to bridge the Black Dog Canal.  Which currently has a one lane bridge finished and will soon have the second lane complete.  I would say to you that the proof is in the pudding.  We have proven ourselves to be able to make and implement a plan to bridge BDI.  I would ask where is your proof sir.

• Like 3

I'm not really involved, so I probably shouldn't step in, but: They've said quite clearly that they want to do it themselves. That is communication. You've said that there are multiple bridges you want to build, so why not move on to the next one for now?

I probably will move on to a different one, further down the coast line South of BDI.

Also, there is a difference between communication and harassment. I'm trying to get specific info to figure out where to start a project, and the majority ( not all of them ) are making me out to be some bad guy, meanwhile shooting themselves in the foot.

Honestly, I'll build wherever I please regardless of unnecessary permission, however I chose not to take that route. That should be considered when communicating with someone.

I probably will move on to a different one, further down the coast line South of BDI.

Also, there is a difference between communication and harassment. I'm trying to get specific info to figure out where to start a project, and the majority ( not all of them ) are making me out to be some bad guy, meanwhile shooting themselves in the foot.

Honestly, I'll build wherever I please regardless of unnecessary permission, however I chose not to take that route. That should be considered when communicating with someone.

They said they want to build the bridge themselves.

Can we see what project #2 is? :)

Edit: "I'll build wherever I please regardless of unnecessary permission" not going to gain you any respect or trust, and will likely push those who do want bridges to seek help and advice elsewhere.

Edited by Shadz
  • Like 3

They said they want to build the bridge themselves.

Can we see what project #2 is? :)

Edit: "I'll build wherever I please regardless of unnecessary permission" not going to gain you any respect or trust, and will likely push those who do want bridges to seek help and advice elsewhere.

Typical shads. Ignore the part of the quote where I said I don't want to take that route and fall to such spite, yet you only quote what serves your trolling best.

Can we get back to the real topic and get some ideas flowing? This debate is making myself and everyone else appear juvenile.

I've posted 2 regions so far for consideration of a bridge project. Does anyone else have a location in mind? Please do share your ideas.

They obviously aren't easy to work with. The proof is in this thread. That doesn't make them bad or me bad, it just leaves everyone with a lack of communication. Yelling at someone because they want to start a project in the region you live in is a little silly. Communicating with someone, however, over how and where such a project is suitable is called cooperation. I am here, for the sake of cooperation, trying to get some Intel moving forward. All I've seen from BDI is a vague statement about doing things at their own pace. So, hypocrisy aside, is there any real plan to start a bridge project on BDI or am I able to come do this myself, because from what I've heard the people of BDI have been planning things for a long while without execution. If I'm wrong set me straight, just remember to stop trying to villainize me in the process. We're all here for the same thing.

Picture this: a woman is at the grocery store holding a bag of groceries about to head out and you want to help her. Instead of asking her nicely if she'd like help, you yank the bag out of her hands and insist on helping. You're not yelling at the woman. You're just being insistant on helping whether she wants help or not. How's that woman going to react? How's the rest of that store going to react? Not very well I'd assume.

This is what it seems like you're doing with BDI right now. Yanking their grocery bag.

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 2

Typical shads. Ignore the part of the quote where I said I don't want to take that route and fall to such spite, yet you only quote what serves your trolling best.

Can we get back to the real topic and get some ideas flowing? This debate is making myself and everyone else appear juvenile.

I've posted 2 regions so far for consideration of a bridge project. Does anyone else have a location in mind? Please do share your ideas.

I'm not trolling at all Slick, I quoted the part that makes you look like an untrustworthy person.

I posted a project location a page or 2 back that wouldn't require too much work, and wouldn't affect anyone, just requires someone talking to a deed owner or 2.

I'm not trolling at all Slick, I quoted the part that makes you look like an untrustworthy person.

I posted a project location a page or 2 back that wouldn't require too much work, and wouldn't affect anyone, just requires someone talking to a deed owner or 2.

I'm of the same opinion as another person who stated that your bridge location would be best served by widening sections of the coast. For the time being I'm more interested in starting a project in an area that could use a bridge more prominently, such as the two locations I had circled. Maybe we'll eventually get to building a bridge in that bay, or if you want it done faster I'm sure you can find support for that.

Anyone else? Northern inner sea area? Outlaying islands?

Maybe folks don't WANT to be connected. Just because you want to do it doesn't mean it needs to be so. I don't want a bridge in my area. I'm sure Brash doesn't want one connecting at Orphan's Cove. (And if she does, let her decide that.) Build one in your own back yard if you feel you must build one.

• Like 1

Maybe folks don't WANT to be connected. Just because you want to do it doesn't mean it needs to be so. I don't want a bridge in my area. I'm sure Brash doesn't want one connecting at Orphan's Cove. (And if she does, let her decide that.) Build one in your own back yard if you feel you must build one.

I held the poll for this reason. 70% said yes to putting in bridges near the old boat bridge routes. The majority wants it, so it's going to happen.

Edited by Slickshot

I held the poll for this reason. 70% said yes to putting in bridges near the old boat bridge routes. The majority wants it, so it's going to happen.

You held the poll for whether the bridges should happen in general. The poll had nothing to do with where aside from being near the boat bridges. Do not mistaken this. Your poll only answered part of the question and you somehow turned it into telling everyone where it should be.

70% did not vote for "where". 70% voted for "if". If, after the poll, you had asked people exactly where the bridge should be, then you would likely not be in this position. Instead, you went ahead and drew a couple of lines practically stating "this is where the bridge will be!"

Edited by Lotus1

You held the poll for whether the bridges should happen in general. The poll had nothing to do with where aside from being near the boat bridges. Do not mistaken this. Your poll only answered part of the question and you somehow turned it into telling everyone where it should be.

70% did not vote for "where". 70% voted for "if". If, after the poll, you had asked people exactly where the bridge should be, then you would likely not be in this position. Instead, you went ahead and drew a couple of lines practically stating "this is where the bridge will be!"

Actually I stated that they were ideas. I never said they were set in stone or absolutely had to be in those spots. Please, if you want to harass me send me a pm instead. Otherwise I must ask that you cut the crap of trying to make me into the bad guy. If you really want to accuse me of something, accuse me of trying to get some awesome bridges built.

This is the last time I'm asking for this to be steered back to the topic. We aren't discussing if bridges should happen, we've moved on to where they will happen. I appreciate the input of everyone for this idea and against it, but the time for initiative has come. I ask if you hate these plans to pm me and allow the main topic and its supporters to discuss possible plans and the next steps.

Thank you.

I'm willing to help with the bridge planning if needed slick. if the wiki is right i ought to be able to plan wooden bridges that are 25 tiles long...

I'm willing to help with the bridge planning if needed slick. if the wiki is right i ought to be able to plan wooden bridges that are 25 tiles long...

We'll probably be building marble bridges that will last longer than wood.  What is your masonry at?

Well im mostly concerned with the west independence personally.

I don't live this far north but, it looks like someone made a semi land bridge at 24x 6y. Anyone know if the people their are interested in building an actual bridge across? Or need help doing so?