Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Bridging the Gap: LOCK PLEASE

It's a weird term. A bridge made of boats. It would make more sense to use that term for a bridge for boats, which would be an aqueduct or a canal.

It's not my server so I won't vote, but it makes a lot of sense to at least convert the existing canals to allow for large ships and make bridges for crossing on foot.

As for crossing larger lakes or inland seas, that is a different story, my opinion would be that sort of journey should be made by ship but in the real world bridges have been made for these situations.

It's a weird term. A bridge made of boats. It would make more sense to use that term for a bridge for boats, which would be an aqueduct or a canal.

It's not my server so I won't vote, but it makes a lot of sense to at least convert the existing canals to allow for large ships and make bridges for crossing on foot.

As for crossing larger lakes or inland seas, that is a different story, my opinion would be that sort of journey should be made by ship but in the real world bridges have been made for these situations.

Some people, myself included, have made long journeys on foot from one point to another.  Often times the route on such a journey is split around a large lake or sea.  Having to walk around delays the journey, so a bridge across would be nice.  Not to mention, a Super Bridge across a large lake or sea body would be quite the feat to behold and complete.

The poll has run the course length intended and is now closed. We reached a 70/30 majority in favor of installing new bridges to existing boat bridge routes! For those of you interested in helping with upcoming projects keep an eye out this coming week for the project thread.

Thank you everyone who voted, it's nice to see community effort and cooperation!

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 2

Feel free to contact me to help out with any public projects I'd be more than happy to help out :)

• Like 1

I'm thinking one of these two boat bridge areas to start with.  Let me know which one you'd like to see happen first!  Black Dog or Maple Island.

KYItcb3.png

• Like 2

Well i personally would like to see the one near black dog isle be done first, mainly because id be one of many using it a lot xD

Black Dog Isle waterfront is probably all deeded so I hope you are taking into consideration what they want, as you cannot build a bridge in perimeter that is not your own.

• Like 2

Black Dog Isle waterfront is probably all deeded so I hope you are taking into consideration what they want, as you cannot build a bridge in perimeter that is not your own.

Why are you assuming the people of black dog isle would be super insistent that the bridge absolutely cannot go their? Can always ask them if they can help construct it. 

If they are somehow that insistent to making the community suffer, Can always adjust the bridge to rockport to north of starfleet academy. I know the highway that goes from the boat bridge to rockport isn't on deed/the dock isn't on perimeter. However this location isn't that ideal since it would require vastly far more initial materials to do so, but the amount of travel time would be cut down greatly. And the west would benefit so much from it. 

Side note: Looking at the map near rockport, I just noticed that the roads are WAY outdated. Like seriously out dated. Theirs a fancy 2/3 tile wide highway that isn't showing on the map or the abandoned deed that raised a bunch of dirt out of the sea etc. Also theirs guard towers on the highway too 

I'm certain I'll be able to find a peaceable negotiation.  I don't see why they wouldn't allow it, it's not like I'd slap it in the middle of their deed, just on the outskirts at the bank.  Keep in mind, the positions shown on the map aren't absolutely precise.  There will of course need to be some shifting here and there of location, depending on what is in the way of the bridge plan, etc.

• Like 1

tzX0Sc1.png 

I'd love one from freedom docks to the entrance or near the entrance of festival cove mine. Although looks diagonal on the map, pretty much a straight line in-game. Dunno how the locals would feel about it though, though it wouldn't affect locals too much if raised up.
Reason: Just makes going around the coastal deeds there a bit less tedious.

• Like 1

Having lived on Black Dog Island before and knowing a lot of the people who do live there, I question whether that bridge would be feasible. However, I do not speak for them by any means.

I think if a bridge were to take place from BDI, it should be in the hands of the people from BDI first and foremost.

Just to add to this as well, your poll was about replacing boat bridges in general. There's been no agreement on where those actual bridges should take place looking at this thread.

Edited by Lotus1
  • Like 2

I'm certain I'll be able to find a peaceable negotiation.  I don't see why they wouldn't allow it, it's not like I'd slap it in the middle of their deed, just on the outskirts at the bank.  Keep in mind, the positions shown on the map aren't absolutely precise.  There will of course need to be some shifting here and there of location, depending on what is in the way of the bridge plan, etc.

The thing to keep in mind here is that there may already be a planned area for such a bridge from Black Dog Island north of your suggestion.  You know, by the people who have deeds there.  It's been pretty quiet lately around this part of the server, so not sure who all really gives a damn now.  The years of "soon" and horrible creature spawn rates on Indy finally took it's toll.

• Like 2

These are concerns that do not worry or dissuade me. If we can't build a bridge in a desired location we'll move it or be patient while working in another location. There WILL be bridges connecting areas that used to only be traversed by boat bridges; it's just a matter of time and materials.

These are concerns that do not worry or dissuade me. If we can't build a bridge in a desired location we'll move it or be patient while working in another location. There WILL be bridges connecting areas that used to only be traversed by boat bridges; it's just a matter of time and materials.

While it may not be a concern about building a bridge where there would otherwise be a boat bridge, a good community project should still be concerned about the deeds around it.

I hope you are concerned about those deeds as it shows you care about them and not putting your project above other people.

Edited by Lotus1

While it may not be a concern about building a bridge where there would otherwise be a boat bridge, a good community project should still be concerned about the deeds around it.

I hope you are concerned about those deeds as it shows you care about them and not putting your project above other people.

Sure caring about the deeds is one thing, but if a good location outside of a deed is found for such a bridge, then surveying and construction would almost certainly follow. I won't go out of my way to ruin someone's deed for the sake of a bridge, however I will be quick to use the location available if it is undeeded without concern for permission.

Basically I won't be a jerk and try to force or coerce someone into letting me build on their deed, however I will definitely use non-deeded land if available. The poll was asking general permission and acceptance of such projects, which was a success, so the next step is surveying, plotting, and constructing.

Speaking from the perspective of an active deed holder on Black Dog Island.  There are several bridge ideas being planned, and discussed, and I would ask that patience, and communications, be applied before any effort starts.  Feel free to contact me ingame, Odyc, or Kasumi, Edzwar, or Dano and we can either direct or answer questions.  Honestly the effort to bridge the canal is the current focus.  Without a canal bridge replacement of the boat bridge does not make a whole lot of sense.  Many of the deed holders on BDI are in an alliance and are working together to implement bridges in the most logical manner given our current roads and deed layouts. Speaking only for myself I hope that you take the above under consideration before taking any actions that would have negative reactions from the deed holders of the island.

• Like 5

Just a question?  Has anyone gotten an answer to the question of how high a bridge needs to be to allow ALL ships to pass underneath, cause until that is answered definitively, replacing boat bridges with constructed bridges is a moot point.  I am thinking that the 80 dirt figure needed for any bridge over 5 tiles long is pretty good but I have not gotten an answer from a single dev, ca, or even someone that has done the test themselves.  I'll post this around again and see if there is an answer out there.

Edited by Celantra

The poll was asking general permission and acceptance of such projects, which was a success, so the next step is surveying, plotting, and constructing.

Just to add to this as well, your poll was about replacing boat bridges in general. There's been no agreement on where those actual bridges should take place looking at this thread.

Regardless of where the community agree to put (or not, as the case may be) a bridge, another subject to consider is the choice and sourcing of materials.

Marble decays slower than stone, which decays slower than wood, so marble would seem to be the ideal choice for long term (and looks more impressive). But, since stone is more abundant, and anyone with a spare brick can make repairs then would that be an overall better choice.

tzX0Sc1.png 

I'd love one from freedom docks to the entrance or near the entrance of festival cove mine. Although looks diagonal on the map, pretty much a straight line in-game. Dunno how the locals would feel about it though, though it wouldn't affect locals too much if raised up.

Reason: Just makes going around the coastal deeds there a bit less tedious.

That section might be best improved by flinging some dirt into various corners and widening the road to two tiles wherever reasonably possible.

Black Dog Island residents having been improving and changing highways on the island for years in preparation for bridges. When the time comes for the boat bridge to be replaced we will make it a community project by posting in this forum. But our current focus is on connecting the island to the mainland first, without that bridge the other is pointless.

• Like 4

Black Dog Island residents having been improving and changing highways on the island for years in preparation for bridges. When the time comes for the boat bridge to be replaced we will make it a community project by posting in this forum. But our current focus is on connecting the island to the mainland first, without that bridge the other is pointless.

By no means do I have to be project leader for every project. I just wanted to give everyone a good push in the right direction to motivate them. I certainly plan on starting up some projects soon. I'm hoping, as a community, we can construct a massively impressive bridge chain, or multiple, that will spark more awe and creativity in the game.

Edited by Slickshot

I have a caravel and would be willing to test it against several bridge heights if anyone would like to point me towards various bridges and label their height.

By no means do I have to be project leader for every project. I just wanted to give everyone a good push in the right direction to motivate them. I certainly plan on starting up some projects soon. I'm hoping, as a community, we can construct a massively impressive bridge chain, or multiple, that will spark more awe and creativity in the game.

Thanks

My Borsef's on the island can take care of the bridges. I know Edzwarr and one of the mainland residents to the west have already discussed that connection. But again, the bridge over the Black Dog Canal is the focus currently for obvious reasons. As soon as someone has a definitive for the minimum height for all ships to pass, that bridge will go up fairly rapidly. Need to make sure on that bridge as the canal is a heritage site currently passable to all ships. I know I helped on it after we finally no longer had to deal with a pesky annoyance to the south.........  

Seems that players have had good response with the 80 dirt plus 10 from the water that is required for all bridges over 5 tiles.  This has not been tested by me so I cant say definitively but it does seem about right for the height of a caravel. 

There is also a post in Town Square with a GM response.

Edited by Celantra

Depending on the amount of dirt needed for spires, one could raise a spire just above sea level and build a tower a few stories high and connect bridges on the top flat landing.

This was an idea I've thought about incorporating to save on the amounts of dirt needed.

The only draw back is the repair work needed on the towers every once in a while.

Edited by Slickshot

Depending on the amount of dirt needed for spires, one could raise a spire just above sea level and build a tower a few stories high and connect bridges on the top flat landing.

This was an idea I've thought about incorporating to save on the amounts of dirt needed.

The only draw back is the repair work needed on the towers every once in a while.

I think for the amount of dirt used, wasted or needing redredged, i think it'l pay off in the long run. Just need to make sure we get the stone towers to 80ql minimal. 

• Like 1