Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Bridging the Gap: LOCK PLEASE

From the looks of the Independence Community Bridges thread, there seems to be some interest in replacing various boat bridges with real bridges, as well as some disinterest in the idea.

Given how well this community voices their opinions, I figured a small poll would do well for this matter and setup a good project thread if a favorable vote ensues.

If you are interested or not interested in replacing most of the boat bridges with the new fancy bridges please vote and comment!!!

Note: Only the people with ownership permissions would be able to decommission the boat bridges. New bridges wouldn't technically replace boat bridges, they would just add a better travel option.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

05/25/2015

It's time to re-purpose this thread.  If you are interested in helping out with a few upcoming bridge projects, please comment here or message me.  Our first project will most likely start near Black Dog Isle.  If you have any good recommendations for the location, please do share your insight.  Also, if you are a native to Black Dog Isle, I would appreciate any scouting information you can give me about what coastal areas are available, if any, for construction and which of your neighbors I should contact to make sure we're all on the same page.

So, to summarize, the first order of business is finding the proper location for a bridge from Black Dog Isle to the western coast of the Inner Sea.  Once we get that plan rolling, we'll start collecting up the dirt and measuring out the length of the bridge so we can lay the foundations of the support spires.

EDIT:

With recent events of trolling and unnecessary drama, I have decided it would be best to have this thread locked.  Future projects, whether they be bridges or otherwise, will only be discussed with the local/deed owners that it pertains to and the players who are interested in helping with the project.  It's unfortunate to make such projects secretive, however due to the amount of people causing problems and drama it is necessary.  For all of you who are interested in helping out with group projects, I will be creating a thread to gather your support for future undisclosed endeavors.  Thank you for your support and interest in working as a team!

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 2

I like the fact that there is something to remind us of the times before bridges. 

• Like 1

I like the fact that there is something to remind us of the times before bridges.

Some boat bridges would have to stay, such as the one from Inde to Deli. That boat bridge could serve as a great relic for past accomplishments.

Other boat bridges, however, can be swapped out for real bridges which would improve land to land travel immensely.

Note: Only the people with ownership permissions would be able to decommission the boat bridges. New bridges wouldn't technically replace boat bridges, they would just add a better travel option.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1

Id like for the vast "cut" known as the inner sea to be sealed by a bridge or two somewhere in the middle & the north. Because that if i want to travel by land to anyone, i have to make a HUGE effort to go way down south, around inner sea, then back north to wherever im going. And to be honest, its not all that great >.<

However, im not saying we should make it so big boats can't go under said bridge, but i would like a viable way to get to freedom market for example without going around one of inde's biggest lakes.(Maybe even the biggest?)

• Like 1

My idea for bridges over sea would be to have fairly tall dirt spires raised for the bridges to connect on. This would leave plenty of space for boat travel underneath and also make the landing spires more visible to give sailors an opportunity to sail around such chunks instead of getting beached.

• Like 1

As a hellhorse rider I vastly prefer bridges to anything that involves water :D

Also please note a thread like this is pointless and this should only be discussed on a case by case basis by people who actually live/travel in the area

As a hellhorse rider I vastly prefer bridges to anything that involves water :D

Also please note a thread like this is pointless and this should only be discussed on a case by case basis by people who actually live/travel in the area

Opinion noted and disagreed with. This thread serves not only as a community poll to decide if boat bridges should be bypassed, but also as a project start point for members who would like to work together on various bridge points pertaining to the subject matter, if of course, the vote is in favor of new bridges.

Example: Many people want new bridges in an area where travel from land to land is difficult. If the poll shows majority favor for renovation after it has been closed, then the thread will be repurposed and anyone eager to start on a specific could easily post their parameters and find followers to help.

Tl;Dr -- A thread has purpose in how it is designed, and this one is designed to start bridge projects if a favorable majority is met.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1

I travel a lot by boat so this would not help me much. I also like the idea of the legacy boat bridges.

I guess if some people wanted this, I would just ask the existing waterways not be shutoff or limited in any way.

Just my humble opinion.

Edited by Zelbane

You need another voting option maybe because in many cases it depends. My boat bridge is 2 tiles wide and not really in a spot that a bridge can go. The game complained very handily that I didn't have enough clearance in one place... 60 dirts up is a log way to make up for 7 dirts down.

You need another voting option maybe because in many cases it depends. My boat bridge is 2 tiles wide and not really in a spot that a bridge can go. The game complained very handily that I didn't have enough clearance in one place... 60 dirts up is a log way to make up for 7 dirts down.

A third option takes away votes from the true question at hand. Specific plans for special case areas, such as yours, would always have to be discussed with better detail of course before actually making a project out of it.

This thread overall isn't meant to mean that every single boat bridge should be bypassed, but instead would favor that most boat bridges could and/or should be bypassed. Not to mention that a real bridge doesn't necessarily have to cross at the exact place where a boat bridge exists; luckily for us, terraforming is a widely usable feature that allows players to overcome many of the nuances of a structured environment.

Edited by Slickshot

Opinion noted and disagreed with. This thread serves not only as a community poll to decide if boat bridges should be bypassed, but also as a project start point for members who would like to work together on various bridge points pertaining to the subject matter, if of course, the vote is in favor of new bridges.

Example: Many people want new bridges in an area where travel from land to land is difficult. If the poll shows majority favor for renovation after it has been closed, then the thread will be repurposed and anyone eager to start on a specific could easily post their parameters and find followers to help.

Tl;Dr -- A thread has purpose in how it is designed, and this one is designed to start bridge projects if a favorable majority is met.

The question "Should boat bridges be replaced with bridges" being pointless is a fact of life, not my opinion. Feel free to ask about specific bridges you'd like to rebuild, though.

I travel a lot by boat so this would not help me much. I also like the idea of the legacy boat bridges.

I guess if some people wanted this, I would just ask the existing waterways not be shutoff or limited in any way.

Just my humble opinion.

Your boat crossing wouldn't be hindered in any way. The only reason why boats wouldn't be able to go under a bridge is if they build it REALLY REALLY close to water level. (Like under 10 slope to water) I can assure you that if we, the people of independence took this on, It wouldn't be some crummy half done job where its all at water level, It would be a proper bridge across the lakes. Watched over & Made to suit the communities desires.

• Like 1

The question "Should boat bridges be replaced with bridges" being pointless is a fact of life, not my opinion. Feel free to ask about specific bridges you'd like to rebuild, though.

Well a few other people have already voted against the idea, which proves your thought process to be only opinion. Please don't come in here to on someone else's thread and start conflict. We are all fine just sharing pros, con's, and opinions.

Again, your opinion is noted, just take the dramatic inclinations elsewhere please.

Edited by Slickshot

That's what bridges were brought in to replace, so why not :) 

Note.. Bridges can only go in straight lines, not diagonal like boat bridges.

• Like 1

I'm aware. :)

I plan on closing the poll this Friday. If the vote shows a majority favorite, 60%, for adding new bridges to boat bridge areas, then I'll start up a project schematic for those interested in helping out.

So whether you are For or Against, get your vote in!

If the vote fails, then as a majority we can agree to leave boat bridge areas alone for the time being.

The point of this thread is to raise support for or against, and to receive the proper community agreement. Bridges could of course be built by anyone near any boat bridge path without the need for consent, but that doesn't seem like the fair route to take.

Edited by Slickshot

Better get to work on that, diagonal roads need diagonal bridges ;)

Better get to work on that, diagonal roads need diagonal bridges ;)

The Dream, 2025

Horses don't cross server borders right? What about carts? Other than ships, what is actually known to cross server borders?

Or are we only talking about boat bridges within a server?

Horses don't cross server borders right? What about carts? Other than ships, what is actually known to cross server borders?

Or are we only talking about boat bridges within a server?

Only talking about boat bridges within a server. From what I understand it wouldn't be possible to create a bridge across a server border due to the inability to target/view/interact with anything in a separate server until you cross the border to that server. Imagine the server border is a door. You cannot see the other room until you pass through the door which also means you cannot interact with anything in that room either. This proves problematic when trying to create any object that can exist in both servers at the same time.

That is my understanding, anyhow. If Tich cares to spread more light on the matter, I'd welcome it openly. :)

I don't understand this poll. If majority votes "replace", am I obliged to go and rebuild bridges, and if they vote "no", I'm forbidden to do so?

I don't understand this poll. If majority votes "replace", am I obliged to go and rebuild bridges, and if they vote "no", I'm forbidden to do so?

As I mentioned in a previous post, permission isn't technically needed to overhaul the boat bridge paths; anyone can replace them if they want to. The point of the poll is to do the courteous thing and ask general permission first before making such a large scale change across the server.

If the majority says "no," then I'll respect their wishes, be mature about it and leave it be for the time being and won't bother rallying anyone for projects.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1

Perhaps it would help to clarify what boat bridges are. I've had people ask me before, or were surprised when it was mentioned.

Often, the term seems to be mistaken by the small canals that are deep enough for rowboats, sailboats, and knarrs to traverse, but mostly shallow or narrow enough to allow riding, and driving or dragging carts through. While boat bridges are a series of moored boats, with permission for everybody to enter as passenger, to they can regain stamina when swimming over a long distance - checkpoints of sorts.

I'd love to see canals being dredged deeper and wider, making it possible or easier to travel through with large ships, while at the same time no hassle for pedestrians, non-swimmer animals, and carts.

Though I don't really feel that boat bridges need to be replaced, with them being mostly short distance, and it's easy enough to ferry something over in a small boat. Of course it would be very impressive to see a massive bridge, or maybe it would look out of place. And I'm sure it would be nothing short of being a monumental collaborative project.

Perhaps it would help to clarify what boat bridges are. I've had people ask me before, or were surprised when it was mentioned.

Often, the term seems to be mistaken by the small canals that are deep enough for rowboats, sailboats, and knarrs to traverse, but mostly shallow or narrow enough to allow riding, and driving or dragging carts through. While boat bridges are a series of moored boats, with permission for everybody to enter as passenger, to they can regain stamina when swimming over a long distance - checkpoints of sorts.

I'd love to see canals being dredged deeper and wider, making it possible or easier to travel through with large ships, while at the same time no hassle for pedestrians, non-swimmer animals, and carts.

Though I don't really feel that boat bridges need to be replaced, with them being mostly short distance, and it's easy enough to ferry something over in a small boat. Of course it would be very impressive to see a massive bridge, or maybe it would look out of place. And I'm sure it would be nothing short of being a monumental collaborative project.

The problem isn't "ferrying" something over in a small boat, it's the inability to drive a wagon or pull a cart without the need of a boat.  Many people travel by foot or horseback wherever they travel and could really make use of proper bridges to islands or other parts of the continent to cut down on their travel time.

Also, I've never seen someone misunderstand what a boat bridge is.  When I first saw the "boat bridge" on the map, I immediately knew what it was without explanation.  That's not to say that no one is ever confused, of course, just that I've never had to explain it to anyone before.