Sign in to follow this  
Audrel

It's not a bug, they put in jumping no one wanted.

I have a 127x127 Deed on Epic(Serenity), been there over a year. I have a large deed on Xanadu, and a large deed on Elevation. Both been there since the day that map was reset/opened.  My deeds are built, i have hundreds of thousands of bricks in them. Yet I look at this as a chance to remodel, a chance to make my deed even more secure!

And, I like everyone else wanted to have bridges in the game. We all knew bridges was going to bring a new physics system into the game. This is part of the changes caused by bridges. Its not something they could have "opted out" of doing. We wanted ways to ride our carts, horses, wagons from one level to another in our house. To do that the new physics had to be attached to those blocks. Thats why Roofs are not affected. Because we don't walk on top of roofs, or have any form of bridge attached to it.

So the web admin says set it up like fort knox and watch people slide down the walls.

I never realized it was such an issue to keep people out of your deed. I have locked gates and doors and proper deed permissions set. Otherwise I welcome travel through my deeds to get to and from places in the vicinity. So annoying when a deed is set up like Fort Knox for no reason and you have to go waaaay around just to travel in the area. Purely from PvE experience of course.  :)

And the PR guy says why are you all obsessed about making it fort knox.

Excuse me whilst I clean tea off my monitor from laughing so hard. Left hand, meet right hand. Classic.

Get over it and adapt. This game is headed in the right direction all around.

If that direction is an exodus of long time paying customers, then yea.

Otherwise... not so much.

Did they fix the bug I reported some 4 years ago that allows you with a bit of know how to plainly overrun deed settings when it comes to taking or killing non agros (such as horses) ? Id imagine now is the time seeing as I can still do it.

The answer then was "just lock your gates and you're fine" instead of actually fixing it but I think it should be looked at now that locked gates are no longer sufficient. Any interested dev may pm me and I can re-explain it because for obvious reasons I won't post it here...

Just post it. The added mayhem will add to the outcry which will increase the liklihood it'll actually get fixed.

I, for one, like this new jumping mechanic and hope it brings us one big leap closer to airplanes and possibly space exploration.

I've bee around wurm 5 years give or take. Every time something happens you people don't like you folk scream "were paying customers either do it or we leave..."

Will you folk please leave already? I can only afford so much popcorn or stand to eat it for that matter. I might need a new snack.

I've bee around wurm 5 years give or take. Every time something happens you people don't like you folk scream "were paying customers either do it or we leave..."

Will you folk please leave already? I can only afford so much popcorn or stand to eat it for that matter. I might need a new snack.

I've seen how you act at public events so your opinion on other people's screaming has little to no weight. Seriously.

• Like 5

Think Wurm can afford to lose another bunch of players?

• Like 2

its a fact that bugs with permissions happen all the time in wurm, and this just makes it impossible for people to protect against those.

and if thats not bad enough the devs are supposed to be working now on a new permissions system that will change the way permissions work almost entirely, im sure that will come out with 0 bugs.

1 maybe you are allow to block acces to other peoples corpses so you can loot them because you work for codeclub,the rest of us would get a warning.

2 one of the wonderfull features about wurm you should know abut is that you can always raise the terrain as much as you want

3 is not posible to build houses right next to other houses.

if you have no clue how wurm works dont pretend you do.

Every time I see someone say you can't build houses next to houses, I think "Then build a tall stone wall "yard" and lock the doors?" - You see this a lot on Chaos. 

Every time I see someone say you can't build houses next to houses, I think "Then build a tall stone wall "yard" and lock the doors?" - You see this a lot on Chaos. 

I think you are missing the point.  We do not live or play on Chaos.  We play and pay for deeds on Freedom...freedom NOT to ring your whole deed with tall stone walls included in the price of the deed it (it will be protected and safe) or lose it policy.

• Like 1

If that direction is an exodus of long time paying customers, then yea.

Otherwise... not so much.

Like I said in another post, it's hard to say much because what we had before *was* broken. By all the standards of gaming engines, it was horrifyingly broken. It must have given so many of us who have an actual clue about how games are suppose to work some rather scary nightmares. That's how bad it was. This is better. This makes sense. This should have been done better (like I said in another post, make NEW objects that have the NEW collision bounds) - but I digress. Overall, this is GOOD.

Having thought more on it, it's time for people to make decisions. Stay, adapt, improve - or move on. Let's put those big boy and big girl pants on, pull out a notepad, and do a Pro vs Con list. Don't post it here, because so many of us are tired of seeing the same thing over and over again. Use it to make your decision...

Should you stay or should you go now?

• Like 2

I think you are missing the point.  We do not live or play on Chaos.  We play and pay for deeds on Freedom...freedom NOT to ring your whole deed with tall stone walls included in the price of the deed it (it will be protected and safe) or lose it policy.

Are you against "Deed it or lose it?" - If so, you have no friend here. Too many people build utter rubbish, making the game look like junk, just to find something else shiny and interesting and move on. 

You also have the freedom to not ring your deed with long houses. Just use simple logic when it comes to physics and you'll be absolutely fine. Is it really that hard? Do you get mad when a bird craps on your car when you're the one who parked it under a tree? Most people do, actually, which is just rather sad.

Unfortunately, there are good points all tied up in this rubbish about "bugs" which are really "improvements". Issues pertaining to deed security settings which should be addressed, but are less likely to be noticed since they're wrapped in textual blankets of griping and moaning.

• Like 1

I've seen how you act at public events so your opinion on other people's screaming has little to no weight. Seriously.

... What? That's new, cool story bro needs more dragons and you realize that account was sold months ago right?

However your right my opinion on the tears in this thread have little to no weight as well as the tears in this thread themselves. Wurm has had its ups and downs in development and players have for years said every time something comes out "We didn't want this we're leaving" and still haven't left. Rolf said a long time ago if you don't like it, theirs the door.  While @mordraug says "Do I believe wurm can afford to loose more players?" I question what has been released or redone, or broken in wurm that has ever caused a dramatic portion of the playerbase to leave? To my recollection their hasn't been one except when he opened the home servers to PvP and most of the people in this thread don't even know what event I'm referring to by saying that.

Like I said in another post, it's hard to say much because what we had before *was* broken. By all the standards of gaming engines, it was horrifyingly broken. It must have given so many of us who have an actual clue about how games are suppose to work some rather scary nightmares. That's how bad it was. This is better. This makes sense. This should have been done better (like I said in another post, make NEW objects that have the NEW collision bounds) - but I digress. Overall, this is GOOD.

Having thought more on it, it's time for people to make decisions. Stay, adapt, improve - or move on. Let's put those big boy and big girl pants on, pull out a notepad, and do a Pro vs Con list. Don't post it here, because so many of us are tired of seeing the same thing over and over again. Use it to make your decision...

Spot on. 

I'm not talking about the new owner, I've never met him online.

you miss the point that with this change those arent safe either

you miss the point that with this change those arent safe either

wurm online is not second life

It's like some folks are desperate to make Freedom deeds open to more griefing...... 

You should go to a PvP server if such is the desperation.... or go back to it and stop trolling just for a change.

• Like 2

This probly would've been fine with everybody if there was a heads-up...

• Like 1

Seems to me the furor here is not so much about new features being brought in or people unwilling to adapt, but more about how those are brought in without proper communication about the ramifications.  People who post on forums are really passionate about this game, Keenan.  It would be unwise to blatantly dismiss their concerns - however emotionally laden it may be delivered and unpalatable it may be to your sensitive stomach - because they are actually trying to communicate with the developers and game masters in the only way available to most of them.  So if you don't want to read their posts, close the forums.  That would perhaps be a much better approach than to inflame the situation more by encouraging them to decide to leave the game altogether.

Also, please read my post again, carefully.  I am not against deed it or lose it.  I am all for it.  I am against bugs where people can violate the protections of the deed system.  I am also against others trying to tell people how to develop their deeds.  When someone buys a piece of virtual property, they buy the right to do with it whatever they want, providing they stick to the game rules.  Now, nothing says we need to ring our deeds with tall stone walls on Freedom, it is not in the game rules.  So, we should not have to build long houses and tall walls (like you rightly said, you see a lot of those on Chaos) to feel our deed is protected from bugs and glitched permissions on the Freedom Isles.

Then again we three may really not ever see eye to eye since we obviously have different playstyles here:  Ruger <- from Chaos     Keenan <- from Chaos   Fairyshine <- from Freedom

• Like 3

imagine the uproar when they add portable ladders

Edited by mrtaccgnol

"no you see, I paid the king 10 silver coins therefore there is a square of MAGIC FORCE FIELDS protecting this area is access shall be impossible shall I deem it appropriate" - wurm online, the "realistic" sandbox mmo

"no you see, I paid the king 10 silver coins therefore there is a square of MAGIC FORCE FIELDS protecting this area is access shall be impossible shall I deem it appropriate" - wurm online, the "realistic" sandbox mmo

As if dragons and magic spells are realistic.  :rolleyes: 

Hold on, gotta go drop my meal in my magic chest.

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 2

Seems to me the furor here is not so much about new features being brought in or people unwilling to adapt, but more about how those are brought in without proper communication about the ramifications.  People who post on forums are really passionate about this game, Keenan.  It would be unwise to blatantly dismiss their concerns - however emotionally laden it may be delivered and unpalatable it may be to your sensitive stomach - because they are actually trying to communicate with the developers and game masters in the only way available to most of them.  So if you don't want to read their posts, close the forums.  That would perhaps be a much better approach than to inflame the situation more by encouraging them to decide to leave the game altogether.

Also, please read my post again, carefully.  I am not against deed it or lose it.  I am all for it.  I am against bugs where people can violate the protections of the deed system.  I am also against others trying to tell people how to develop their deeds.  When someone buys a piece of virtual property, they buy the right to do with it whatever they want, providing they stick to the game rules.  Now, nothing says we need to ring our deeds with tall stone walls on Freedom, it is not in the game rules.  So, we should not have to build long houses and tall walls (like you rightly said, you see a lot of those on Chaos) to feel our deed is protected from bugs and glitched permissions on the Freedom Isles.

Then again we three may really not ever see eye to eye since we obviously have different playstyles here:  Ruger <- from Chaos     Keenan <- from Chaos   Fairyshine <- from Freedom

Did you know that I went to Chaos to get AWAY from Freedom griefers? Isn't that funny? We don't have griefing on Chaos, not in the same sense. There's always drama about things during raids, but nothing like what happens on Freedom. So your assumptions and your logic about play styles is absolutely flawed. I've also held more deeds on Freedom (3: Deli, Xanadu, now Exodus) than I have on Chaos (0, absolutely no need). So you can sit high up on that Freedom Horse all you want, because I'm just going to shake my head at your ignorance.

Speaking of ignorance, you apparently did not read *my* post. I do *not* agree with the way this change was made. As a programmer, and until proven otherwise, I will assume that they *could* have simply created a set of data for *new* wall and fence types that had the *new* collisions. Code is usually rather flexible, and while it may have been a "pain" to do it, I'm fairly certain it could have been done. This would have allowed everyone to keep their OLD walls and fences, and forced people who wanted bridges over them to build NEW ones.

Given the post Rolf made about flying, I can see why this wasn't done.

My issue is with everyone demanding that the change be removed and rolled back, or calling it a bug or saying it's broken when it's really not. It's a simple side effect of a more realistic collision system that anyone that took basic High School physics should understand. The old way was broken, the new way is fixed. Just like mooring ropes were broken, and now they are fixed. I disliked that "fix", but after seeing it argued into the ground, I accepted it and moved on. Take a page out of that book.

• Like 1

I should clarify... griefing on Freedom is warfare on Chaos. Kingdom mates generally don't grief each other, because they don't stay in kingdom long if they do. Being on Chaos without a kingdom isn't a good way to exist. On Freedom, your neighbors can decide to keep your deed from expanding by plopping a 1x1 shack up against your perimeter.. FOR NO REASON. Or they can absolutely screw with the terrain inside your perimeter. On Chaos, we can kill the person in the perimeter and bash the shack. The fact that there are repercussions for your actions on Chaos means that people generally don't waste their time doing stupid and pointless things just to irritate others, unless it's to irritate your enemies, which is perfectly fine and acceptable.

Freedom? It always feels like a bunch of half-wits running around griefing for the "lulz".

Clarification done.

• Like 2

That sounds good, better than the current KOS system too, which is flawed and favours fighting related accounts anyways

• Like 1

I should clarify... griefing on Freedom is warfare on Chaos. Kingdom mates generally don't grief each other, because they don't stay in kingdom long if they do. Being on Chaos without a kingdom isn't a good way to exist. On Freedom, your neighbors can decide to keep your deed from expanding by plopping a 1x1 shack up against your perimeter.. FOR NO REASON. Or they can absolutely screw with the terrain inside your perimeter. On Chaos, we can kill the person in the perimeter and bash the shack. The fact that there are repercussions for your actions on Chaos means that people generally don't waste their time doing stupid and pointless things just to irritate others, unless it's to irritate your enemies, which is perfectly fine and acceptable.

Freedom? It always feels like a bunch of half-wits running around griefing for the "lulz".

Clarification done.

The difference is that on Chaos you can't do whatever you like to do. You have to join a kingdom and follow by the rules of the leaders or be killed. On Freedom you can do whatever you like without anyone being able to do much about it as long as you keep within the server rules. It's up to everyone to choose which environment they like best, it has nothing to do with peoples brain capacity, and most people on Freedom do not grief anyone.