Sign in to follow this  
The Moidart

What are you reading.....

Interested to see what others are reading and hopefully spark my interest to pick up something new.

Just finished the Spartan way by Nic fields. Interesting read if your into that sort of thing, which I am. Ancient military history.

Prior to that it was Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance. Great read. Pity the wait between installments is soooo frickin long.

• Like 1

Currently reading Winter of the World by Ken Follett.   perennially a strong awesome author among my favs.

What I highly recommend  is A Confederacy of Dunces  by John Kennedy Toole.  by far the most hillarous and outrageous book I've ever read and among my top 5 favs of all times amid the hundreds n hundreds of books i've read.

• Like 2

second time through game of thrones.  clash of kings right now.

The Temptation of Innocence: Living in the Age of Entitlement, by Pascal Bruckner, Neuromancer, by William Gibson and Broca's Brain, by Carl Sagan (re-reading them, and I never read only one book at once, usually 5-6 of them, but Wurm is too demanding).

@Bloodscythe - I cannot agree with you more, A Confederacy of Dunces  by John Kennedy Toole is by far one of the best books I've ever read, the story of such pathetic and grotesque existence that it becomes epic in its ilarity .. but you need a good sense of humor to see behind the humor :)

• Like 1

I usually read a lot of Terry Pratchett books (and start again when I've finished them all :P ), but I've taken a bit of a break. Recently read No Damage by Kathryn Hodgson. True memoir of 4 to 5 years of her life going through all sorts of difficult circumstances (2 runaway fiances, her mum getting cancer and ending up in jail in South Africa!) and how she dealt with it all to come out the other side - very inspiring whist also tear inducing and hilarious at times.

Currently reading The Hiram Key. A fascinating book about the origins of Freemasonry, Christianity, The Templars and more which also goes in to huge detail and uncovers very interesting links between Sumeria, Ancient Egypt and the current Christian and Jewish faiths. Very fact heavy book which is not an 'easy' read. Well worth it though!

• Like 2

Just finished A Deepness in the Sky by Verner Vinge.

A pretty good 'First Contact' story with lots of scheming and paranoia.

Before that was Roadside Picnic.

Just starting with Neuromancer now.

Trying to catch up on all the classic sci-fi stuff I've missed over the years.

My taste in genres and authors varies alot. However at the moment I'm reading the Serpent War Saga by Raymond E. Feist for...probably the 4th time now. All of his books are ones I've really enjoyed but this is by far my favorite mini series from his world. Mostly thanks to the quite engaging characters and the interesting way they develop and change of the course of the books. 

• Like 2

Finished reading "The man who bought London" from Edgar Wallace, loved it!

Now I'll probably head to "House of Leaves" once more... most interesting book I've ever touched B)

• Like 1

I was about to start The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera -- The Unbearable Lightness of Being is in my top 10 list. But after reading this, I realized it's been years since I've read A Confederacy of Dunce; so I think I'll re-read it again (if my copy doesn't break apart).

****I think it's time to invest in a hardcover version. My 30-year-old paperback did not take well to being opened.

Edited by MissWilc
  • Like 2

Atm on a dry spell... finished everything Brandon Sanderson had published, and none of my other favorites have anything new out. Latest ones were Sanderson's Warbreaker and the Witcher graphic novel House of Glass.

Though I have been meaning to take a look at Meditations on Violence by Rory Miller (nonfiction)

Edited by Klaa

Reading "Troublesome Inheritance" :o

Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.

Nora Ephron

Before finding international success as a novelist and screenwriter, Nora Ephron (born May 19, 1941) briefly worked as an intern at the White House while John F. Kennedy was president.

Like this quote on Goodreads

Goodreads can be v.useful if used well

• Like 1

The last book I read was Metro 2033, by Dmitry Glukhovsky (in English). I recommend the book for anyone who's a fan of the Metro series, even if you've played both games. :D

I enjoy Eastern European fiction, preferably mystery/adventure books. :)

Jeff Sharra

"The Final Storm"

Edited by conmcb25

Right now The Way of Kings by Brandon Sandersson, but I like R.A. Salvatore and George R.R. Martin or Andrzej Sapkowski too. And I'll be trying to start reading Dune, because my friend said that it's one of the most awesome books he ever read.

• Like 1

Currently reading "The Skull Throne".  Book 4 of the Demon Cycle series by Peter V Brett.

I mostly read Sci-fi and Fantasy type books, but sometimes drawn in by a good thriller or horror.

• Like 1

Donald Duck, perfect if i have to take a nice dump and before i go to sleep.

• Like 1

If you like reading about military history, I recommend this book series by Bernard Cromwell.

It's about an English Archer in the middle ages who joins the war against France and ends up leading his own group of archers. It's very detailed, realistic and the writing is great, it really captures the essence of what the battles were like with the raiding of cities with people pillaging and ###### the french etc.