Sign in to follow this  
Bulkfarmer

Make Wurm Free To Play

Here's a very obvious hint to peeps opposed to 'free to play'. Free to play never really is, except for a tiny majority who is willing to sink the ungodly amount of TIME into it to make it so. Everyone else will eventually pony up some cash. And often in big ways, as people will pay for things when they feel THEY are in control of their gaming experience. Heck, I know people in LOTRO who spend thousands per annum just on cosmetics and then sit around the Prancing Pony in Bree roleplaying all day. They don't even quest. Their toons are like level 20. But they play the way they want to play and pay the way they want to pay. That's a concept that's not too difficult to wrap one's head around that people will pay much more for things when they feel they aren't being led by the nose. Many game companies (like Turbine) have figured this out.

I read endlessly about Wurm's funding trouble. About how it can't pay to have more staff, about how Redbaron Johan got let go from lack of funding.

Then I see all of these very solid options staring us in the face.

If Wurm isn't making money, it's because Wurm doesn't WANT to make money. Or rather, Rolf refuses to do the things that will make it make money.

And so, I've decided, if that be the case, he doesn't need mine, and I'm happy to spend it elsewhere where it's wanted and/or needed.

So your saying the creation of Xanadu and those cheap little deed stakes weren't' an effort to make money?  

Or how about all the harping on Rolf did about the "land rush".      

I'm not nessisrly against F2P in general, I know that it's an important issue, but I don't think it can work without a major overhaul of the mechanics, and protections installed against F2P accounts on PvP servers.   If you don't think that PvP does not pay, you don't know our demographics.   I pay for my own sub, I don't pay in-game money for it.    I know that is quite common on Chaos.    

That said, if the account system in general had an overhaul to lock only players with a specific number of accounts tied to one master account, and proxy detection along with a much needed anti-cheat program that can detect all the retarded mapping/radar programs and scrip-based macro programs out there that may get past the protections it might work.  Yes that is a LOT of IFs.     

The problem is that we rarely get overhauls, we just get more "features".    The game has been suffering from major memory leaks for years because the client is complete garbage.   The only thing I can say in it's defense is that at least it allows a ton of options to help work around video cards that hate the client.    That at least lets us play on it, with only a few players suffering constant crashes, and those are often due to java version issues.   

The road to allowing F2P accounts as much freedom as you seem to be trying to claw out of CodeClub, is not so much a long one as running off a cliff.   The game itself is not ready for it, and from what I've seen won't ever be so with the existing gameplay mechanics.    If you can't stomach that, there are plenty of other games out there. 

Edited by Battlepaw