Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Ground Fluttering

I am not sure how to describe this but has anyone else noticed ground fluttering between objects and the ground?  Like when you build a house where the wall meets the ground that line when you look around using your mouse it bounces around/flutters kind of. This also happens with trees too and is really bad when you are on a cart and also really prevalent with carpets where the ground pops up through them as you look around but when are not looking around the carpet is fine. 

I never noticed it before the update so i think it must be something to do what that. I am sorry if you have not noticed it before because you likely will now and it is aggravating to have to see all the time, lol

Anyway has anyone else seen this or might know of some setting to stop it? 

Edit: I think this might be what they call graphics clipping? If it is then it has gotten worse than normal recently i think...idk 

Edited by Kegan

It hasn't happened for me. Not sure what is going on with your game there :o

Well i adjusted some settings and it is better now but still having trouble with the carpet i might have to take them out. 

Yes, with trees in the distance. I have all settings on high. Not all trees in the distance. Just one or two.

Edited by Sarcaticous

This is called Z-fighting for those interested and will probably always be around in some shape or form as it's near impossible to avoid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

It might get better in the new version of the client that is being worked on however.

• Like 6

Ways to combat z-fighting:

1. You can make sure two objects are never at the same depth
  2. Adjust near and far clip planes to give the z-buffer less distance to cover... adjusting the near clip plane just a tiny bit will usually help a lot, except where two objects really are at exactly the same depth
  3. You can assign an Offset in the shader (e.g. Offset -8, -8) of one of the objects and this can push it back or forwards to force the issue where two objects are clipping into each other

Wurm's pretty good with z-fighting in general, I don't see much of it in game.

• Like 1

This is called Z-fighting for those interested and will probably always be around in some shape or form as it's near impossible to avoid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

It might get better in the new version of the client that is being worked on however.

It depends on your GPU, some suffer alot from it and some don't at all.

My R9 290 has a lot of z-fighting in all games, really insane, especially noticable in wurm online.

My Intel HD 4600 has practically no z-fighting.

I ordered a GTX 960 which should arrive tommorow, hopefully that one won't suffer as much as my R9 290.

what GPU do you have if I might ask?

Edited by Elktazahjr

Its old GTX 550 ti but i have used the same one for years here and it just seems to be worse in the last bit since the update. 

Alright, got my new gtx 960 and the z-fighting and aliasing problems I had are gone now in practically all games except for wurm online. Means that this one is up to the devs to fix, maybe in a year or 3 they'll address it.. Really sad because saying that z-fighting is common is probably the way they're going to excuse themselves for not fixing it. Though this is not just some z-fighting, this is absolutely horrible, game is pretty much unplayable for me.

Edited by Elktazahjr