Tents, the wonderful portable respawn that any traveler adores.  Great for when on unique hunts and amazing if you are a priest wandering inland on Xanadu.

Trouble is they're irrepairable and un-impable.  Now I can understand why they are not repairable, otherwise everyone would just keep their tent at 1 QL and be done with it.

The first change I propose is that tents can be repaired using square cloth on them (rather how one must use water to repair potted plants) and can also be improved when fully repaired (cloth tailoring seems a good skill).  The only reason I suggest this is my OCD attacks me every time I see "damage 5.3" next to an item in my inventory that I cannot repair!

The second change is to do with tents on deeds.  Again I can understand why they are not currently droppable on deeds, otherwise you could house hundreds of alts in one village, giving them the benefit of a non-decaying spawn point without the completely unfair double upkeep.  So I propose something a little different, namely a new permission "drop tent" that allows usergroups to place a tent on the deed.  While someone's tent is on the deed they count towards the population of that village for the purpose of upkeep (to preventing the 100 alts scenario) and giving deed owners the option of letting players camp or not.

Optional Extra : Mayors can set a price for "camping" (akin to beds) so that anyone dropping a tent will be warned and, if they accept, the tent drops and the camper will be charged the fee mentioned.  Lets make a bit of cash ^_^

• Like 5

The camping thing actually sounds like a really nice suggestion. But it would only make sense if there were actually any advantages like sleeping in a tent, which I am not sure there are or not, but I haven't seen anything like it so I assume not.

+1  to repairing. Have exactly the same qualm with unrepairable items in my inventory (I'm looking at you pelt)

My only other issue with tents is how exceedingly difficult it is to make one as a non-premium. *you can* but even with skills maxed at 20, the cordage rope requires a 30+ql rope tool to have a chance.

Is it right that non-premiums can't feasibly craft the lowest tier tent?

• Like 2

I wholeheartedly agree with you Tinkerer, life as a non-prem is extremely harsh and in many ways unfair.  Sadly that is a different issue and one we are not likely to see resolved, a dev is unlikely to change something that would (in the short term) lose him/her income.

+1 I would like to see a camping tent that was just for sleeping and a non respawn area. I know i wouldent like it if someone kept respawning next to me just to kill. The bonus u get from sleeping could be 1/2 or a 1/4 until making a better tent, like med rugs come in 4 diff kinds

• Like 1

I bought a rare tent off the pink one, once.
it was quite cheap.
it was cheap because you can't repair them.
It's spent most of its time alongside my lantern, in the bank, for said reason.

My vote is ultimately bias even if it matches what it would objectively be.

+1

+1 to repairable and impable tents.

+1 to the camping idea. limit it like animal ratio too in a way but less than animals own ratio?

+1 to the tents usable as beds, and giving smaller sleep bonus than bed ( and making canopy beds give a bit more than regular ones? would push people to get more of those)

what do you mean cant drop more than 1 +1 ?

Necrobump with hijack. 

I can put supplies to build 3 complete 1 room houses in a large crate.    I travel alot, and see no reason to stop for a long time.   At 65 Carp and a good mallet, it takes me 15 minutes or less to put up a house where I stop for a while.   Just for the purposes of SB and slight reduction of my repair habit.  

To add to @Etherdrifter original post...

Craftable campsite (no pickup/build on ground only):

Flag + Tent = Campsite

lots of mixed Grass

some logs/kindling

poles for good measure

Sheets or wool etc.

deer urine (realism addition) 

- Tents decay slower in campsite, relative to campsite ql.  

- Does not lock on create.

- must be disassembled by owner

- disassembly recovers tent (with dmg), and flag.  Disassembled with crowbar.  

- hitch 2 creatures.  

- Campsite ql based on added components and miscellaneous skill.  80+ dmg drops drops tent only.  The rest destroyed.  

- persistent campfire (must still be fueled and ignited for use)

- only campsites provide sleeping bonus.  

Imagine wagoner camp sans chair and with kingdom flag.  

+ 1 on first post, tents remain non impable, but repairable with cloth, leather, discarded tomes, or magic mushrooms.  

Tents being improvable is neutral for me, but I could support unless reasonable objections exist.  

Takes 84 actions to build house enough to drop a bed.  No matter how creative I tried to be, I could not figure 84 components to build this lol.  

What are the objections to implememting this?

edit: on reflection, I fully support improving tents.  Dmg reduces ql? Anything less than 10ql unusable, etc.  

FC to imp, misc to build campsite.  

Edited by Arishok
Reflection

+1, it doesnt make any sense to buy for example pmk tent, because it will decay etc

Edited by Votip
  • Like 1

+1 for most of the options. I also find great need to stay for a couple of days on one place while traveling and dislike having to build house everytime and make or carry bed with me.

Also I would like to point out that sometimes I just wanna display my pmk tents on deed so allow for villagers to simply drop tent on their deed without messing with village population numbers (they are already on that list as villagers)

• Like 1