Sign in to follow this  
Ulviirala

Windy Sales - Ships and moor! by Grandma Ulvi

windysailstitle18udq.png

Grandma Ulvi?! Ulviirala entered through the portal to Wurm on day of the Ant, week 4 of the starfall of Dancers, 990.
[18:51:24] It is 14:51:23 on day of Sleep in week 3 of the starfall of Diamonds in the year of 1049.
She's a dancing 59 year old Wurmian, shakin' it, and carrying felled trees on her shoulder with lots of body strength! ;)

windysails_avatarn5rcs.png
This is my first try at patching together a merchant ad and trying to come up with fair general prices. Let's see how I do!

Ulviirala does live in Ussta Delmah on the Flamgra'in island in the far northeast of Independence. That is C24 on the in-game Map and 59x 4y community map. My timezone is CET/CEST (shiny link!), that's AEST-9, GMT+1, EST+5, PST+8, to list just a few. Due to DST in summer between the ends of March and October, that's AEST-8, GMT+2, EST+6, and PST+9. My in-game hours vary, but you can mostly expect european daytime hours, I do also like the Oxford comma. All items usually come at a little bit higher QL than advertised, sorry about that :/

All items that cannot be mailed via COD can be picked up either at Ussta Delmah (refer to the maps/links above), or if you're on foot, horse, cart, or wagon, I will meet you at the main land near Flamgra'in free of charge (green delivery zone).

I can do deliveries, but for the amount of time that sometimes is required, I do charge a delivery fee. If you feel like it's going to cost too much, you will need to look for a merchant closer to you, I'm afraid. They're hiding everywhere though! My charges are as follows, please look at my delivery zones map for reference! And I do hope the numeration helps with colour blindness :)
  • No delivery to Chaos because I'm a wuss :(
  • Can be picked up at Ussta Delmah (C24) or Targoviste (E24) (northeast corner)
  • Only coastal deliveries on other servers than Independence
  • Land inwards delivery on Independence possible by agreement
  • Orders worth 9s or more - Free delivery
  • #0, Green zone - Free delivery
  • #1, Yellow zone - 20c
  • #2, Orange zone - 40c
  • #3, Red zone - 70c
  • #4, Purple zone - 1s
  • #5, Blue zone - 1.5s
To finish everything up and imp it, the earliest to begin deliver is probably the next day after getting everything up to quality! It's very rare that I have everything and everychar ready to leave on a moment's notice. But if I do, I would. I will dedicate all my attention to your order as soon as it is placed, but it will likely need time to get everything ready. I'd also like to take the liberty to wait for favourable winds/weather, time's better spent productively instead of sailing at less than 2km/h for 12 hours. Please do understand the dilemma of sailing!

windysails_freeshitkfo94.png
For every ship* (Corbita and bigger) you buy, you can opt-in for any or all of the following extra items (please state clearly which ones you want, or "all of them", don' t be shy! I want you to have them, but also not shower you in crap you don't feel you need!):
  • One fine fishing rod QL90* with a random circle of cunning enchant
  • 20x replacement fishing lines
  • One small barrel QL70, fitting wood type, because you can barrely reach the ocean ground for drinking
  • One small chest QL70, fitting wood type, for all your miscellaneous stuff
  • One small crate QL70, fitting wood type, contains 50 potatos and kindling
  • One iron frying pan QL70, for all your nutrition needs, combine fish with potato
  • 5x large crates QL70, fitting wood type, Note: To move them around, you need 23+ body strength to use Load Cargo! Otherwise, just leave them in!
* Rowboats and sail boats can come with 80QL fine fishing rods, they cannot fit crates or rafts.
Quality levels are mostly for longevity.
windysails_allthingsat7azy.png
  • Imp to at least QL72 - 20c (green delivery zone and pick-up only)
  • Rowboat - 1s*
  • Sailboat - 1.5s*
  • Corbita - 6s
  • Cog - 9s
  • Knarr - 14s
  • Caravel - 19s
  • Large crate or raft - 7.5c
  • Small crate - 5c
  • Parts (unfinished ships, ropes, sails, rigs e.g. by agreement)
  • Free repair and re-imp** of all ships bearing my maker's mark.
* Rowboat and sailboat deliveries only to green or yellow zones, or pick-up at Ussta Delmah or soon near FM/Freedom Docks, unless the total order is around 5s or more.

** Whenever I travel and I am in your area, you can get a free repair and re-imp to at least QL72. Or you can visit me at Ussta Delmah on Independence (C24) when I'm home. To see where I am, look at my forum profile feed. I'll try to keep it up to date!

If your ship turns rare, congratulations! If your ship turns supreme, I will be slightly jealous of you. If your ship turns fantastic, I will murder you and get stinking rich I will be very happy for you! No, really... I will ask for nothing :)

Since I've been made aware more than once, that the prices I ask for my ships seem to be way too high, I thought I might include some thoughts about my pricing.

I know that you often see offers on the forums for much less, Corbitas for 3.5s, Cogs for 4s, Knarrs for 9s, Caravels for 10s. But often, those offers stem from wanting to get rid of something useless, and a lot of the time, delivery is not even an option. You can pick up a ship with anchor, lock, sometimes not even key, at any QL, and that's it.

I do not want to be the cheapest dealer around, I do not want to sell as many ships as possible, I don't want to sell them as fast as possible.

There's a whole lot more effort going into building a ship than is immediately obvious. If you want to supply yourself you need a farm to begin with. A farm requires a relatively flat piece of land of ample size, depending on your farming skill, to get a reasonable harvest of wemp and cotton. Cotton needs to be spun into string, string needs to be woven into cloth, and then tailored into sails - requiring a decent amount of Cloth Tailoring skill. Wemp needs to be spun into ropes - requiring a decent amount of Ropemaking skill. Although the prices are reasonable enough to buy these resources from a local farmer instead. You will need a couple times more wemp than cotton though.

Most importantly, and often underestimated, you will need to maintain a healthy stand of trees. Depending on what ships, and how many ships you want to build, and how often, perhaps even a decently sized forest. Requiring you to pick sprouts regularly and always replant as you cut down and chop up. Having low skill on Forestry and Gardening, does not help your cause here. Once you hit 30 forestry, your hunt for sprouts is becoming heaps easier because of mouse-over information.

If you want to train your Woodcutting skill, you will want to only cut down overaged trees! With a CoC enchanted QL1.00 hatchet, you'll do 7 damage per action (sometimes 8 if it's in full repair), enabling you to chop 13-14 times before switching to your high QL hatchet. The latter massively raises your chance of getting a tree QL equal to your woodcutting skill, while the former gets you the most skill points out of it. A very old tree takes 10-11 damage per action, meaning only 4 chops before switching.

Besides attaching the parts in excess of thousands for a caravel, you will also need to craft them first, sometimes in multiple steps (tree -> log -> shaft -> peg e.g.). You will also want to spend two or so hours to improve single parts like masts, large and small tackles, or keel sections to 50+. It gives good skillgain and doesn't make you try 500 times trying to attach them later.

You will need to find a lead ore vein, mine at least 20 pieces of it, to make an anchor. Ideally, at least I feel like it, you will want to mine more lead to improve the anchor to a decent quality. And cover any losses for failing to create it with low blacksmithing skill.

You will also want to have trained some locksmithing, to be able to craft boat locks on large anvils, improving the large anvil further improves your chance at creating. Wurm is not fun creating items at 6% chance! :(

And as the one but the last step, improve the boat.

Finally, load everything that comes with it, and go deliver it. Sail hours on end to wherever your customer is, who may be without any boat or ability to pick it up themselves. And don't forget to transfer ownership in the vehicle management settings ;)

So, like with most other things, there's initial effort you have to go through. When self-supplying, you need a whole lot of skills, which makes the initial effort sheer gigantic. But building ships requires you to also make a fair amount of continuous effort.

Woah! That was a load to chew! Only a few reasons I quickly managed to fathom into words, there's the whole sentimental part as well, but let's not build the wall of text any higher!

windysails_enchantmen5cswf.png
I'm not yet overly confident to guarantee enchantment strengths, but I think I will be able to cast 70-ish strength spells on items. Seldom 80, but I did have the one and the other 90 lucky cast.

• Circle of cunning - Increases skill gained on tools and water (Tailoring or Pottery e.g., doesn't work for Blacksmithing) or resources (log, lump, clay e.g.)
  • Wind of ages - Shorter action timers, alike circle of cunning
  • Frostbrand - Weapon enchant, causes additional frost wounds when hitting
  • Aura of shared pain - Armour enchant, reflects some of the damage you take
  • Demise spells - QL70+ weapon enchant, increased hit chance against certain types of creatures. Does not shatter items, (I can't make QL70 weapons yet)
  • Lurker in the deep - Pendulum enchant, enables the pendulum to find special fishing spots
windysails_morestuff34q59.png
Although I'm aiming to be a Mighty Fine Carpenter, I am not one yet.
  • Imping to Quality Levels mentioned below, 10% off the price, as creating items is the smallest portion - imping really takes the majority of time spent on items!
  • If you need imping on stationary items, I'd charge the delivery fee (see above). Alternatively you can Load Cargo what you have, and drop by.
  • Carpentry items QL95 - 2s
  • Carpentry items QL90 - 1s
  • Carpentry items QL80 - 50c
  • Carpentry items QL70 - 30c
  • Woodcutting QL80+ - 1s/100
  • Fine Carpentry items QL80 - 1s (rope tools, looms, spinning wheels, wagons, furniture e.g.)
  • Fine Carpentry items QL70 - 40c
  • Masonry items QL70 - 40c
  • Building a guard tower QL70 - 2.5s (one guard per 10QL, but 5 guards max)
  • Leatherworking items QL70 - 30c
    Exception saddles: 70c
    Complete set of leather or studded: 1s
  • Chain Armour Set QL70 - 1s
  • Farming - QL75+, 80c/k
  • Plate Armour Set ... soonâ„¢
  • Cloth Tailoring ... soonâ„¢
  • Bowyery/Fletching ... soonâ„¢
There might be other things I can do for you, for a fair compensation, but do note that I'd prefer to provide finished products rather than churning out raw bulk materials. For example, I can help you create or change digging steep slopes of around 240. Stabbing a band of monsters to death that are bullying you because you can't handle them yet. Odd things.

If any questions remain open, feel free to ask them here so everyone can see the answer, via forum PM, or ingame /t Ulviirala at your convenience.

Cheers,
~Ulvi Edited by Ulviirala
  • Like 1

This game has a lot of nice friendly people but Ulviirala might be at the top of that list. Bought my first boat from her, she is the best!