Sign in to follow this  
bwg

Bridge Megathread

Building Bridges

Look out for those trolls!

Bridges are here and along with them come our questions.  A fellow alliance member of mine suggested that an information gathering thread was started, so here it is.  So far there's a few things we already know, thanks to a few threads from the test server, which I'll link to below, and Q&A already posted in CA ingame and on the forums, and of course since many of you have already built your own.

How I see this working - post like crazy in here (on-topic only, same as CA) with your questions and findings.  Every day or so (until the thread slows down) I'll collect the top or most common questions and stick them in the second post, with links to the answer posts and/or Wiki page.

This will also be a great resource for updating the Wiki pages on Bridges.

A few asks:

If you post an image that's more than 200px high, please could you put it in spoiler tags.  Same with any log dumps more than a few lines long.

[spoiler]
Image / log dump
[/spoiler]
Edited by bwg
  • Like 3

Tools

Dioptra: Requires base materials such as zinc, tin, copper and olive oil; not an easy craft for the beginner Wurmian.  Some say the quality of the dioptra can affect the length of the bridge you can build.  Any statistics on this would be great to add to the wiki.

Range pole: Somewhat simple, but requires cochineal and square pieces of cloth.  To use the range pole you must activate it (double clicking) from your inventory and right click the floor > hold.

Planning

Information on Warnings

Edited by bwg
  • Like 1

EDIT: Redacted due to game updates.

Edited by Thorakkanath

Minimum clearance is a 10 slope.
this applies whether you're trying to clear water, or dirt.
the tile in front of you has to decline by 10 dirts before a bridge or ramp is build able on it.

took me 4 hours  to figure that out after being given the wrong info by a ca assistant
(they told me the main cause of clearance error was decoration being in the way)

useful info.

Edited by Steveleeb

First let me say:  very big 'Thank you Marni!'

And thanks to all who will post here with helpful insights :)

My question about rope bridges:

Would a Fo priest be able to plan a rope bridge? Could someone continue it  without high ropemaking skill?

Anyone can plan a bridge including priests. 

I could build my 2 tiles rope bridge with 10 ropemaking skill.

Hi!
At first: WOOOOOOOOOOOT!
My first suggestion ever that was accepted! :rolleyes: Thx so much!

A few questions that I have:

• A stone bridge crossing a canal. Caravels must be able to pass below without any problems.
    Has this been tried yet, and tested? I have ~100 dirt above water. Is this sufficient? Where can I inspect such out on Indy?
    (I don't want to block Kinoss Bay Canal ...)

• Look at this: Click me, I'm a pic!
    When connecting 2 deeds with a bridge, where should the starting points be? Is it safe to use the "last tile" (Version 1., at top)? Or can this be abused to sneak into the else walled-in deed? So maybe better use version 2., below?

• What's all this:
    (Double) Abutment, Crown, Support, (Double) Bracing, Floating, Keystone?
    Being neither a bridge builder nor a native English speaker this makes me cringe in pain - even my trusty translator isn't able to help me. Wurmpedia just offers empty pages, any kind soul out there that can explain?

• What's the max slope of a flat bridge? Can 39 slope be done?

OK, these are my questions for the moment. We're quite hesitating now starting our desired bridges, by far not enough information available to properly build, without the risk to end up with ugly ruins in an else beautiful landscape ...

My thanks to all that take the time to answer, and that share their knowledge!

Have a good time!

List Request: What can and can't you do beneath a structure?

Minimum clearance is a 10 slope.

this applies whether you're trying to clear water, or dirt.

the tile in front of you has to decline by 10 dirts before a bridge or ramp is build able on it.

took me 4 hours  to figure that out after being given the wrong info by a ca assistant(they told me the main cause of clearance error was decoration being in the way)

useful info.

So I can't build a ramp from a flat pasture up to a higher ledge 12 tikes away due to clearance? That confirmed?

Anyone know how to go about destroying a bridge? 

I built a wooden temporary bridge so that I could reroute a highway. Marble bridge is now built so time to get rid of the temporary one.

No option to destroy bridge. The option to destroy each section is there however it will take a long, long time using  a large maul to get rid of that bridge section by section. Haven't tried a catapult yet.

Bridge is not on deed.

Any ideas?

Anyone know how to go about destroying a bridge? 

I built a wooden temporary bridge so that I could reroute a highway. Marble bridge is now built so time to get rid of the temporary one.

No option to destroy bridge. The option to destroy each section is there however it will take a long, long time using  a large maul to get rid of that bridge section by section. Haven't tried a catapult yet.

Bridge is not on deed.

Any ideas?

Gather your rock shards, and haul your catapult over.

Ah Sun, your bridge is also sloping up. I bet it is 10 at the next tile border. (Or it looks like it is from this angle)

Its a right triangle , its going up and it will continue to get higher till it reaches the top. But if you lower the end tile to level it will not have enough clearance. It has to be raised 5 dirt in order to have the clearance. So this means the minimum clearance...so you do not get the clearance error message..... is 5 dirts not 10. It only matters that the end tile is at least 5 dirt higher than the lowest point under your bridge or that any point under your bridge has at least 5 dirts clearance. Tested, confirmed 9 times. Also tested flat bridge, same result, end tile needs to be raised 5 tiles.  Ill do a ss here in a sec to illustrate.

paJ2jLr.jpg

So the height at the end of the first bridge section is 5 dirt above the surrounding terra (under the bridge).(One end, the other is flush with the end tile)

So this means that it only cares that the end tile, (in this ss the tile behind the first tile of the bridge) is at least 5 dirts higher than the lowest point under the bridge ( The dead level base).

Which then means the minimum clearance is 5 dirts.

Edited by sunsvortex

It was said that if a bridge is attached to a building that when the building is destroyed that the bridges is too. Well this is only true if the bridge is attached to upper floors if the bridge goes to the ground floor of the building the bridge will stay. 

Not sure it matters any here but it takes at least a two tile bridge to reach the second level of a house also the house wall has to be solid on the ground floor under where the bridge will go for the bridge to be planned to the second level. (hope that makes sense, lol)  

Edited by Kegan

also the house wall has to be solid on the ground floor under where the bridge will go for the bridge to be planned to the second level. (hope that makes sense, lol)  ( Arched walls only prohibit or are other wall types prohibitive?)

Edited by sunsvortex

From the ground up to the second floor you need two tile bridge to reach the second level. (well if the building and the ground where the bridge starts are the same height and I never tested from second to third but i am guessing the same restrictions apply there too)

0RjUaB1.jpg

I tested arched and double door..well rope bridge works but all others are blocked because of the bracing i guess. 

Edited by Kegan