Sign in to follow this  
HexD

Kidnap

I was just talking with someone and this idea came to me. The ability to knock on conscious, bind and load enemy officials into carts. Once captured the hostage takers can trigger a ransom demand to the king of the enemy kingdom, an amount predefined by the level of office the hostage/s hold. The hostage takers have to hold their hostage for an amount of time before the ransom demand is paid. A successful kidnapping rewards the takers kingdom with the ransom amount being paid to their kingdoms traders purse or spread amongst all their kingdoms deed upkeeps.

As for actually kidnapping I think the best way, would be to have an item, a "cosh". Which would attempt to knock a person out once if they were weak enough (HP).Once knocked out they would be vulnerable to another item, "shackles". Once shackled the player being taken hostage is killed and they can re-spawn. The shackled remains would become an item itself "Captured <office rank>". This gets around having to deal with a player who cant play their character and the problem of taking a captured player into enemy lands/deeds.

Not really thought about the details too much but I think the end goal would be a mechanic that would give a way to economically hurt the other kingdoms. Be it by paying ransoms by ciphering small amounts from all kingdom deeds to cover the ransom or by taking it from the pool of money used to fund traders. I don't know how traders are funded exactly so i do not know the affects this idea would have on them. This would also be another way to score/lose points for the different kingdom leaders.

Something along those lines, just wanted to throw this out there because I thought it was an interesting concept.

• Like 1

I'd rather not have real money tied into playing a game

The ransom would have to be less than what the person has on them otherwise why pay a ransom...

And why ask for a ransom if you can just kill and loot for more than the ransom?

For ransoms to work, you need incentives to not kill other players...Wurm doesn't have that, not yet anyway.

Only place I can see it maybe working would be Champions who don't want to lose a life.

• Like 4

Ransom could be anything, doesn't even need to be tied to RL money or ingame coin. Payment could be in the form of indentured labor, or even outright slavery, at least the form practiced in the Americas prior to the American Civil War.

A while back I did a suggestion where pvp death could be expanded into an unconscious state (not to mention a whole range of other health states and injuries) prior to actually being dead dead. Another game's example could be DnD's bleeding out to -10 health. No to mention having Resurrection enchants, more medical skills and procedures, etc.

Anyways, one side effect would be the ability to take players captive instead of outright killing them, and some means of having player prisons. This in turn could also allow for DIY jailbreaks, sieges on player-built prisons, ransoming, indentured servitude for doing so many tasks, etc. The gods could even play a role by them preferring prisoners to be treated in certain ways. Full-blown slavery could be a BL thing.... along with the cannibalism and other corpse fun.

Course regardless of the amount of coding, not to mention possible exploiting by either side, there would need to be a certain degree of GM monitoring. Using this to more easily shelter enemy kd alts deep within kingdoms is one possible abuse.

• Like 1

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ce-zC_n8E

• Like 2

Having a flashback to whapping a guard in Thief with the blackjack

+1

• Like 1

Interesting idea, but it'll never happen. Too complex for the wurm team

Having a flashback to whapping a guard in Thief with the blackjack

+1

Edited by Klaa

Next time your about to be killed my enemies just surrender.

"Please if you spare my life I will make you 3k bricks."

Don't need game mechanics for that. But you may lose respect from friends and enemies both.

• Like 1

Or there is an option on low hp to put rope around someone. Then you transport them like you drag a horse around d: The person captured can go to his inventory and see the rope (in some slot somewhere) and try to remove it by clicking an option remove which has some sort of 'breaking chance'. The higher the ql, the lower the breaking chance. the rope is lost when broken and you can try to run off/escape in any way. It's hard to run away on your own but maybe call some people from your kingdom/friends first, then when they are close break the rope and they can attack the party who held the person captured or the deed, more action confirmed.

You can't do "stuff" (had te edit because the word got censored XD) with your character when you have rope around you but walk. So when they stop dragging you around you can walk with a small speed penalty. So it's also possible to sneak away and have someone else remove the rope (which falls off at once when someone else does it, no trying a 150 times it just falls off)

Edited by loenabelle

I played a nice pvp mud back in the day that had KO, blindfold to remove sight, earmuffs to lock out chat channels, gag to prevent any chat/tells, shackles for movement, cuffs to stop actions. It was kinda fun to abduct someone you hate and put them into some random remote room. Then cast invisability on them with a few days duration and laugh yourself silly as they can't even meta-game their own rescue.

+1 btw

• Like 1

Aye played a few muds after Ultima Online with similar mechanics. In fact it was while playing a Star Wars one called Legends Of The Jedi that one of the admins told me about Wurm.

Edited by Klaa

Hmm I can't imagine it being fun to be taken as a prisoner for any serious length of time. Don't forget that players can kill themselves anyway. I'd rather take the hit from a suicide then sit on an enemy deed, naked in a windowless room for IRL days whilst my village/kingdom lazily negotiates how many chickens I'm worth.

I'd rather not have real money tied into playing a game

Real money is already tied into this game. Wurms currency is real money in the sense that it holds real world value. You can trade it for real money. You wouldn't have silvers in game without real money. We're not talking 100's of silvers ransom amounts. I think at most 5s would be fine, I'm going to assume team A's kingdom has 20 deeds. That would mean 25c would be taken from each upkeep to pay the ransom of 5s. I'm poor as ###### and even that doesn't sound that much to me, anyway I'm not arguing the specific amounts just the concept. Think of a kidnapping as a possible kingdom drain.

The ransom would have to be less than what the person has on them otherwise why pay a ransom...

And why ask for a ransom if you can just kill and loot for more than the ransom?

For ransoms to work, you need incentives to not kill other players...Wurm doesn't have that, not yet anyway.

Only place I can see it maybe working would be Champions who don't want to lose a life.

I think I see your point. How about team A captures team B's third powerful office. Team B has 24 hours, to either; 1. Pay the ransom amount for that rank or 2. Retake the office by force. Failure to do either results in team A having the option to release or execute the office held. Executing disables that office for a noticeable amount of time. With the release option it opens up the possibility for negotiations. Maybe team B can give team A something in exchange for the release. Maybe team C could out bid team B just so team C can execute the office themselves. All these negotiations certainly would make for a great way to ambush and double cross. 

Hmm I can't imagine it being fun to be taken as a prisoner for any serious length of time. Don't forget that players can kill themselves anyway. I'd rather take the hit from a suicide then sit on an enemy deed, naked in a windowless room for IRL days whilst my village/kingdom lazily negotiates how many chickens I'm worth.

You will be killing the person you capture. Capturing will kill the player leaving behind their corpse as normal, plus an item that is used to actually ransom. So any players actually getting captured will 

be able to re-spawn as normal.

I played a nice pvp mud back in the day that had KO, blindfold to remove sight, earmuffs to lock out chat channels, gag to prevent any chat/tells, shackles for movement, cuffs to stop actions. It was kinda fun to abduct someone you hate and put them into some random remote room. Then cast invisability on them with a few days duration and laugh yourself silly as they can't even meta-game their own rescue.

+1 btw

I played on a SA:MP RP server and you could do similar things and even when happening to you it was still fun. I don't think most would agree though which is why I suggested to just  kill the captured player when they are captured and use an item instead of an actual player. I would really like to see it done with a real player though if it was done at all.