Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Server Crossing for New Players

Hey,

I'd like to suggest a new possibility for new playes. When first getting into the game, picking a server is mostly at random, in hope of finding the perfect spot or settlement. Some people however realise pretty soon that their desired goals for the game aren't achievable on the map they have chosen, and wish to switch after only a few hours of search. I personally think that during that 24 hour newbie bonus period, one should be able to change server simply by navigating the map panel and picking a new one. There could be a one-time use limit or something to avoid people exploiting it, but I'm sure that it would help a lot of new players. 

Before anyone tells me how easy it is for them to find someone to bring them over to the other islands because the Wurm community is so helpful, let me tell you how it really is. If you are lucky, you will find someone who is kind and trusts you with what you say. They might then help you over to the other island. Most of the times though, you have to pay for their time, or nobody even responds at all. We like to consider ourselves very friendly and helpful, which we are in many ways, but dedicating time to bring someone to another server is too much to ask from most people. Trust me, I have had that problem a lot and have only once found someone willing to do it for free who actually ended up doing so and not just claiming he would "tomorrow". 

There is of course the option for new players to make rowing boats, but anyone who has tried to make one at low skill knows how frustrating it is, and how long it can take, so for a complete newbie it is a lot to ask to just build a boat. Buying one is an option too, but what newbie would like to spend 16€ on 10 silvers just after starting, only to be able to pick a new server? Well, I would rather quit than doing that at that point in time. And player sales of silver are never in such low quantities.

My suggested solution to this is, as mentioned above: a limited-used (once, maybe twice, or five times, I don't know) option to navigate the Map screen and switch between any of the same cluster's servers, perhaps excluding Chaos, during the first maybe 10 hours of gameplay. Within 10 hours of playing, nobody can really get skills worthy of exploiting for, and with the low BS and ML it makes no sense to make a new character just to switch between servers freely. Exploiting could be prevented further by adding a complete inventory wipe upon switch. That way nobody can just make a new char, put his stuff on it, and teleport over. 

Edited by Yldrania

I agree one time server change in the first 48 hours maybe. 

Make rowboat.....?

They have released current maps now so people can view those to get an idea whats what....

Maybe New Players should be directed to the map dumps.

Edited by Uberknot

-1 people would just use noob alts to transport goods.

People already miss use use the free village TP you get at start of the game.

(They make alts that they then use to buy goods at spawn, they then use the free TP to teleport their new goods to their deed circumventing travel time.)

Edited by Steeloxide
  • Like 1

-1 people would just use noob alts to transport goods.

People already miss use use the free village TP you get at start of the game.

(They make alts that they then use to buy goods at spawn, they then use the free TP to teleport their new goods to their deed circumventing travel time.)

not many know about doing that, abusing the system. i didn't know that. 

you should make a list of tips for newbie players to abuse the system until those ways of abuse are fixed.

releasing it publicly for all to know is a way for developers to fix things.

;)

At first glance this seems an excellent suggestion to help new players choose the server they would most like to play on. Then Steeloxide mentions how it could be taken advantage of to move items around with alts, which I can see happening.

Maybe another option would be to make this type of server transfer available only the first time a player becomes Premium. Then make 1 transfer to each server available with a time limit of the first month of premium until these expire. This way it would be another perk attached to becoming Premium and at that time it could be like a reward enabling the player to choose any other server they would like. By this point the newer player would have a better idea of the server they wanted to reside on as well.

=Ayes=

• Like 2