Sign in to follow this  
Mrpryor

Over the shoulder Third Person.

+1 i would love it, but would need to be done in a order to prevent grief, like Dayz style where you can look over walls and corners without peeking out to actually see.

No, if you want to play that kind of filth than go to the million other casual MMO's.

I recall a developer once saying that there will never be 3rd person in Wurm.

*shrug*

like Dayz style where you can look over walls and corners without peeking out to actually see.

Thats why u should only play Dayz 1PP ;)

anyways, +1 for 3PP in wurm

You can switch to 3rd person over shoulder on test right now.  It's coming.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 2

Ugh... aye both Notch and Rolf have stated in the past their distaste for third person in such games. Provides an advantage against surprise attacks, peeking around corners, and loss of immersion (that fps sense of you being the character).

I wouldent mind a close 3rd person just cause its annoying to see ur characters eyes, brain and back of the head rapidly while doing a dig or whatever action

I recall a developer once saying that there will never be 3rd person in Wurm.

*shrug*

I'm still sure that there was a 3rd person mode live on the servers for a very brief time a couple of years ago.

I could just be going crazy though....

Just an idea of a compromise between opinions.

I can see some people don't like the idea of 3rd person because of the loss of immersion factor but what if it was only when you are in a settlements boundary doing passive actions, but locks to 1st person when doing hostile actions e.g. When in stealth, Unlawful mode or Targeting player/NPC for an attack.

I personally would enjoy third person as ive gotten used to it in most games over recent years but i think it would negatively effect the immersion and feel of this game, plus though it doesnt effect me it would change pvp totally.

You don't have to use third-person if you don't want to, since I can imagine it would be an option and not something forced on everyone. And as far as "immersion" goes, Wurm is not so great in that regard so using that as a point of argument doesn't hold any weight for me.

Also, I can't really speak for how it would affect PvP but perhaps there's a case to be made against it there.

+1, overall.

Sure why not, but it'd need to be done better than the motion-sickness-inducing nightmare that is on test.

There has been some attempts but its kind of complex considering griefing possibilities of looking over things, clipping into caves and structures etc. Doable, but hasn't been a priority among all the other things the developers has worked on.

I'm not against shoulder view as a phenomenon, but it would look like absolute in Wurm. Think about it - The rooms are already claustrophobia inducing with their small space between the ceiling and the "new" flooring. Your viewpoint would end up somewhere in the ceiling/floor of the above level.

While I don't have much desire to play Wurm in 3rd person, I think it would be nice to have *some* kind of 3rd person option for people that have trouble with 1st person perspective. I personally know a fair few people who find it very difficult to play games in first person due to issues with vertigo, nausea etc. Some who are unable to play at all without 3pp. While it isn't a common problem, there are people who would have a much more comfortable experience playing in 3rd person. Whether it can be done in such a way that does not disrupt the game too much I don't know. A fairly 'zoomed-in' 3rd person or over-the-shoulder view sound like a fair compromise, to avoid peeking.

"~1" if that's a thing?

Edited by flinty

It's not a problem for me.  But I recently brought a friend into Wurm and coming from other MMO's, where the view is always some form of third-person, I know it can be jarring adjusting to the forced first-person view of Wurm.

This many years in though, I don't honestly see it happening.

I agree, I just thought I'd throw that perspective out there

this is not Doom or CS, no please...

this is not Doom or CS, no please...

Since Doom and Counterstrike are FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS, I'm kinda wondering if you even read the OP....