Sign in to follow this  
Miretta

My first own blog about game development! :)

Hello I also want to get into the game design as career as well. I study C# and unity. What your doing is nice! Also I know that this software on steam lets u make maps and import them into Unity. I have used it a little bit, but map making is not my strong point lol. The link is below!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253370/

Edited by megatarre

Hello I also want to get into the game design as career as well. I study C# and unity. What your doing is nice! Also I know that this software on steam lets u make maps and import them into Unity. I have used it a little bit, but map making is not my strong point lol. The link is below!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253370/

thanks and that tool is already on my wishlist hehe :D not sure though if I wanna buy it :) for the moment I wanna experiment what I can do without those full blown tools and are trying voxel generation and the basics to modify heightmaps (like with photoshop), since I have no pressure really to get any results fast :)

Edited by Miretta

thanks and that tool is already on my wishlist hehe :D not sure though if I wanna buy it :) for the moment I wanna experiment what I can do without those full blown tools and are trying voxel generation and the basics to modify heightmaps (like with photoshop), since I have no pressure really to get any results fast :)

Oh ok I see and I do favor voxel over anything. I love that ability to transform the landscape. Also check out this website, It sells that tool quite a bit for 5 bucks. 

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/

Edited by megatarre

unity \o/ 
I will start developing my own game next year as well, good luck with yours. Looks great so far, do you make the videos as well?

unity \o/ 

I will start developing my own game next year as well, good luck with yours. Looks great so far, do you make the videos as well?

yeah :)

• Like 1

Nice blog. And I like your art especially!

I too started making a game a few months ago, just for fun and to prove I can do it. Time is limited though, coding a bit in the evenings, so I expect it to take a few years to get it done :)  It's an MMO with inspiration from Ultima Online and Wurm.

It's built with Unity 5 using C#. Art is partly from opengameart and partly made by me, but I'm terrible at art so I focus on the coding, but I've learn quite a bit of Blender, enough to rig a character and animate it, make armor pieces and weapons and get it all imported to Unity for use in the game. Blender is fun but takes months to learn. 

Coding wise, what I have so far is an inventory and item system with a PostgreSQL database as backend. A character equipment system, armor and weapons are visible on the character when you equip them. Terrain that is streamed to the clients and can be terraformed, currently only by digging with a shovel,  planting trees that grow over time and woodcutting. I've tested with maximum 4 clients so far, but it seems to work pretty well.  A lot of time so far has been spent on the multi-player network code,  Unity isn't exactly well documented in those areas and the built in high level API stuff is not really made for MMOs,

A demo of the current game state can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIIjnOnoON4

I will be posting more videos in the future as well. Game development is time consuming and sometimes pretty hard, but loads of fun :)

3 hours ago, Torgrim said:

Nice blog. And I like your art especially!

I too started making a game a few months ago, just for fun and to prove I can do it. Time is limited though, coding a bit in the evenings, so I expect it to take a few years to get it done :)  It's an MMO with inspiration from Ultima Online and Wurm.

It's built with Unity 5 using C#. Art is partly from opengameart and partly made by me, but I'm terrible at art so I focus on the coding, but I've learn quite a bit of Blender, enough to rig a character and animate it, make armor pieces and weapons and get it all imported to Unity for use in the game. Blender is fun but takes months to learn. 

Coding wise, what I have so far is an inventory and item system with a PostgreSQL database as backend. A character equipment system, armor and weapons are visible on the character when you equip them. Terrain that is streamed to the clients and can be terraformed, currently only by digging with a shovel,  planting trees that grow over time and woodcutting. I've tested with maximum 4 clients so far, but it seems to work pretty well.  A lot of time so far has been spent on the multi-player network code,  Unity isn't exactly well documented in those areas and the built in high level API stuff is not really made for MMOs,

A demo of the current game state can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIIjnOnoON4

I will be posting more videos in the future as well. Game development is time consuming and sometimes pretty hard, but loads of fun :)

That work is impressive tbh :D I just watched the video and you definitely seem to be on a good path and having alot of the basics (specially the networking) set up, that are needed for going towards MMO and practically, the way you have it now it IS already a playable game:)
Yeah sure it's hard, but I can imagine it must be also very rewarding.

I have similar limitations time wise (since I have to take care of my daughter) and since the last ludum dare, I broke through that wall of "never having done/finished" a game before, so now I think I can start my proper game dev experiences, by actually making games, that could be more than just techdemos :) Will be hard to keep the blog running while doing so though, since I noticed, once I'm hooked up into programming I don't really want to talk about it, but do XD
my biggest issue was that I was thinking that I could not program/code myself, since I would be tooooo artist minded. I proofed myself wrong on that one and that I'm actually liking coding alot :D and that I had alot of expectations and prejudices about programming, that I finally got rid of. 

And I agree on the fun part, I don't really wanna play other games anymore, because working on my own feels so much more satisfying :) I'm btw. also using unity and C#.

Thanks, yes a lot of the basics are started. Tons of work still to be done though, the proximity filtering of things sent over the network is a key to success, have only scratched the surface on that one. 

I like having a playable game most of the time. And the kids love it too, they can test it almost at any point. My 5 year old can spend an hour having fun chopping down trees already :P Makes me think that making kids games would be quite fun an rewarding too, they don't need much content to have fun in a game.. 

Nice progress there and I like the art. If you want random levels, there is always the option to buy a tool for it from the Unity store. There are several good ones.Also, if you choose to go with generated maps you most likely will have to stick with tile based graphics since it's hard to generate anything else.  Down side with a tool is of course that you don't learn as much programming, if you really want to code it yourself, start simple. There are some tutorials for 2D which are not too hard and they can be used for simple 3D as well if you stick to just one height level. 

On 06/02/2016 at 11:39 AM, Torgrim said:

Nice progress there and I like the art. If you want random levels, there is always the option to buy a tool for it from the Unity store. There are several good ones.Also, if you choose to go with generated maps you most likely will have to stick with tile based graphics since it's hard to generate anything else.  Down side with a tool is of course that you don't learn as much programming, if you really want to code it yourself, start simple. There are some tutorials for 2D which are not too hard and they can be used for simple 3D as well if you stick to just one height level. 

Sadly there was no fitting tool for what I wanted on the asset store (no cave generators for 3D) but I'm working on it :) I know that in worst case I can also just go for not generated and make a cave system with Blender and currently I'm also working with that as long as I don't have the procedural generation done. On the other hand, I wanted to learn proc. gen. anyway, for other game projects, since it's fascinating topic for me :D and I think I'm doing quite good progress with learning about it. It's just very technical and hard to talk about XD (lot's of math and lot's of breaking heads)
and no :) tile based is not necessary :D I can also go for node based, to get a more organic look (just look into splines)
and thanks :D

I completely forgot to keep you guys updated here XD

I think since the last time I posted here, I added probably tons of posts on my blog O.o I'm so sorry :o
https://fartoindie.wordpress.com/

some stuff from my new project :D

Spoiler

update25042016.png?w=2000&h=&crop=1

screenshot_2.png?w=1400&h=&crop=1

and some from my horror game :D

phi_pre-alpha1.png?w=1400&h=&crop=1

blubb

Edited by Miretta
used wrong image

oh damn, seems I haven't update this in a while :)

since early 2017 I actually started my own company called Embersparkz and are currently working on Critters to make it a lot more worthwhile to play (more stuffs :D) 

even got my own website going: http://www.embersparkz.com

here some screenshot about current progress :) Would anyone here be interested in such a game? it's kind of getting a lot more sandboxy now, with mutations and a big world map with different biomes etc.
in short, it's a brutally cute fantasy survival game with cubs :D you take care of them, like in the ludum dare version and with each generation you might get adaptations to the environment (long fur etc.) might get mutated randomly and you can select a direction of development through all generations :) that goes from different fur colors,  patterns, preferred tails etc. 
otherwise it's gonna be about exploring the world and surviving against the elements (actual storms and other natural dangers instead of enemies).

WuPkq7y.png

O3mlioz.png

Edited by Miretta

3 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

Nice work, you are a good artist, Game looks great.