Sign in to follow this  
Miretta

My first own blog about game development! :)

Yep, I joined the huge amount of bloggers out there, just today and mainly out of completely selfish reasons ;P

I'm probably not the only one here who wants to make their own games and hopefully make a living from it, so I thought I should share my blog and maybe there are some nice conversations coming from it :)

https://fartoindie.wordpress.com/

feel free to tell me what you think :) but be careful with criticism, I'm actually reading what people say and probably take too many things quite serious.

So who else is out here wanting to make games or already did some ? :)

some recent screenshot of my "first" game:

ds_5_s.png

Edited by Miretta
  • Like 12

Oh i like the mouse like characters are you going to have them as a playable race?

good luck with it i like what you have so far :)

Edited by Kegan

very nice!

I have a Khajiit named Cutpurz, playing in ESO right now and he is hoping to catch and eat your mouse people ;)

Good luck on the project!

if you are interested in making your own games i know of a few programs that can help if you are interested

As a game designer/developer, my best advice to you would be to start small. Sure, use some of the elements you have already given some design to, but choose something much smaller than the mmorpg-strategy-breeding initial plan. Keep that purely as a later goal.

Do something small to learn the ropes, learn the tools, learn the processes. Being able to see the finish line and to have something small enough that you can play it while developing and learning is a great motivator. Good luck!

• Like 2

thanks everyone :)

and yup thats race gonna be a playable race and probably the only one for now. I have some ideas about trying something without using genders at all, which would be difficult with humans^^

yeah tinkerer, thats exactly what I'm wanting to do, the big game is my long term goal and I will probably play around with its core features that i want to have before starting the full game, which means I want to split it up by making smaller games that have their background in the same world and are, so to say, proof of concept games :) 

• Like 1

let me bump this, because I am surprisingly consistent writing that blog and even having fun with it :D

hi, ive always wanted to make a game too. my favorite genre is probably sci-fi ( but not too unrealistic )

Neocron, Anarchy Online, Project Entropia kind of game.

my problem is i cant seem to focus on one project for too long. lol.

Anyway i found interesting that you started with art, that being the easiest thing for you to do, or so i

understood?  i seem to always try to learn the hardest aspect of the game im trying to make first.

Maybe ill try to approach your method next time and it will help me say longer at it. No guarantees tho,

cuz im not the greatest coder (lol) more like a copy/paster.

if you havent done so yet, watch some documentaries on indie game developers. they show the kinds

of problems they face, ( learning some marketing comes to mind, which i didnt see you mention )

2 titles that come to mind are

Indie Game The Movie ( 2012 )

Gameloading: Rise of the Indies ( 2015 )

you can find them on the internet (obviously).

anyway, good luck with your endeavors, and have fun doing it.

Edited by Griffith

hehe well yeah the blog starts with something easy because I am so easily getting frustrated with things, but I wanted to actually make a proper decision and keep on doing it for a change and it just happened to be, that art was what happened on the first day I started the blog. I'm actually way longer already trying to do things, but it was never really like "Ok I'm gonna do it now!" or atleast not for long due to some life circumstances :)

If you keep watching the blog i think it will become pretty obvious that I'm aswell jumping around in topics and what i want to learn, just because I like to do that and I don't want to restrict myself, so that i can enjoy it as long as possible.

and yeah I'm pretty bad at coding also :) I tried a few times, but living with that stereotype thinking of "women can't program/are not good at math" etc. was really making it hard ...

and hey I know indie game the movie, not sure if i watched Gameloading yet, thanks :) will look into that. And regarding marketing, i did not mention it, because I don't really like that subject, but i have made an education in that direction (more or less accidentially) so I know a few things, but I already have alot of things that are on my to-do list XD so talking about it will come later. And it will come for sure! it's so important! I'm always a little baffled that wurm even gets players regularly, even though the marketing seems really bad (I stumbled upon wurm only as accident XD)

thank you :) and good luck you too

if i can give you an advice, try to do whatever you do, the way you WANT to do it, don't try to do it the "most efficient" or "most successfull"

Edited by Miretta

I'm having a first video of a very rough prototype XD

Hey Miretta, Really like the blog and your writing. I'm glad you bumped this thread so I could see it while eating lunch.

Seems I'm in a similar situation, 28 years old married and dreams of being an independent game developer. I'm a professional mechanical engineer by career, but in heart and soul a late night aspiring game programmer. I've been working pretty consistently over the last few years, vastly improving my expertise in C++ and OpenGL and have been working very slowly on developing a game engine purely as crazy learning exercise when time permits. I struggle with keeping myself motivated on a complex project like this as I always want things to be the best from the start, but I'm been plugging away and making decent progress and slowly adopting the mindset to enjoy it not being perfect and just do what I can within my means.

Keep up the great work and let me know if you ever want to discuss ideas, coding, game development in general.

Edited by Mebourne

thank you :) and yeah I just noticed that my own generation is still missing under all those "famous" game developers out there :P Time to change that XD

I wish you luck and persistence going for it :) that "crazyness" of making an engine is probably worth the experience :) maybe even more^^

I don't even know how often I can bump this before it starts annoying people :)

Looking great so far Miretta :)

As you're using Unity, you should check out the asset store if you haven't already. There are a lot of free assets there that you can use as placeholders while you work on the rest of your game and learning. It'll save you creating art assets for items that maybe don't have much use right now but would like to see in-game while you test other features.

You've sparked my interest in Unity again though! I don't aim to become a game developer, I just like creating basic AI and watching how they interact when given some simple rules. Kind of like a 3D 'game of life' sandbox if you will.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BurgZergArcade <- This guy did a great tutorial with over 200 videos on creation of a RPG from scratch, assuming no prior knowledge. If you run into any problems with something commonly found in a RPG, I highly suggest checking out his videos. I'm not sure how relevant they are now, as they were made 2-3 years ago and some icons may not be in the same place now etc, but the code should work just fine.

I'm currently working through the Survival Shooter asset pack from the Unity Asset store which was 100% free, to be used as a learning tool. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21028

As I'm terrible at art, I chose that pack mainly so I can use those teddy bear creatures in my other projects :)

Edited by Outlaw

hehe, yeah I know the asset store, but so far I haven't used it and not sure I want to use it currently. I want to learn as much as I can and when it comes to art assets I'm actually enjoying doing something from time to time, that is more familiar to me ( I'm really newbish when it comes to programming and that can be frustrating at times).

and working through tutorials, atm just smaller ones, that are more specifically tailored to my needs and alot about basics of programming in c# is like regular daily activity :D

I have quite some unity tutorials about creating survival sandbox games, rpgs, RTS etc. but before I can understand atleast half of what they are doing, I'm not touching that XD

heh, I do :) I need that blog :D it helps me keep focused and motivated ^^ specially in times like these when I can not do much for my game project cause of mom duties :o

If you ever have any CSharp or Unity related questions hit me up, really interested in seeing where you take your project. :)

Nice blog. You actually make the terrains in Photoshop? That does seem like a lot of work but then again, I'm not PS-savy at all.

Nice blog. You actually make the terrains in Photoshop? That does seem like a lot of work but then again, I'm not PS-savy at all.

I'm quite comfortable with Photoshop I think , so it doesn't feel difficult :) when I just thought about explaining how easy it is, I noticed how the list in my head of the things that need to be done was just growing bigger and bigger lol XD

I can say though, that it's easier to get a base terrain to work from with it, then modelling it directly into 3D though

Awesome, as long as it works for you :) With your approach, you do have total freedom when it comes to terrain features which is always good.

I need to see what I'm doing in 3-d otherwise I'm just going to mess it up so I use L3DT and I honestly couldn't live without the 3-d preview. It lets you edit the terrain directly. It does take a while to get used to all the options but it's very powerful.

I'm using "unityterraintoolkit" inside unity though, to help me with the process a little :) but I have not had any good results from that yet and yes it's a big advantage to be able to define exactly what I want, it's also helping me to later draw a proper map from my game :)