Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

RIP - Is it offensive?

I don't find R.I.P offensive, though I do think if you knew or cared about the person and all you put is 'R.I.P' kinda pointless. Recently lost my Dad and if all someone close to him could say was 'may he rest in peace' I'd be slightly annoyed.

R.I.P is fine if you didn't know the person, or someone you wasn't all that close to, because you don't have any way to really make it personal, but for someone you knew/cared about, it's not hard to find the time and type/write a heartfelt message that could possibly make those closest to the person be glad their loved ones had such an impact on someone else.

R.I.P on a headstone kinda make sense to me, smaller headstones don't tend to have much room and if you don't have enough money, wouldn't you rather shorten 'rest in peace' instead of just putting their initials?

Also, anyone who says 'r.i.p in peace' doesn't deserve to rest in peace -_-

You silly fools, don't say RIP in peace, rip in peace = Rest in Pieces in Peace. Its more often used as RIP in pieces.

Tumblr Wurm Online edition

Up Next: Butchering animals, should we stop the skill/action?

I'm sure he'll get back to you as ASAP as possible.  ;)

LMAO off.

Rest in peace is not offensive.

Offensive would be something like: Rot in hell.

• Like 1

I guess this post is a reflection on the "everybody gets a medal" type of society we live in today. People are so easily offended. The fact that its even being discussed screams overly sensitive!

It's the horses for courses thing.....In some cultures they eat part of their dead. Offended yet?

Jesus H Christ man, if you have a problem with 3 letters delivered via social media your is desperate need of a strong glass of concrete!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc

Edited by The Moidart

The fact that its even being discussed screams overly sensitive!

IDK, I'm voting for it being not offensive because it's so widely used. But what does it really mean? Like what's the alternative to resting in peace? Digging out and trotting around as a zombie or vampire? That's what it means, right? I mean you don't "rest" in heaven. You have choir practice, you might get guardian angel detail, if one of your relatives gets a near-death experience you go wave at them... I've never heard of people saying heaven is where you rest. So saying "rest in peace" even fully spelled out IS kind of weird to say, but since it's so common I don't think people mean it badly. To wish your relative stays in the ground.

Well you can read about it if you like..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_in_peace

To me over the years is has just lost its meaning i guess and has been somewhat lost in translation.  We all have our little quirks and things that makes us react somewhat like this topic seems to have made some people react at its existence. I am not sure why they care so much but...what can you do.

Edited by Kegan

Well you can read about it if you like..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_in_peace

To me over the years is has just lost its meaning i guess and has been somewhat lost in translation.  We all have our little quirks and things that makes us react somewhat like this topic seems to have made some people react at its existence. I am not sure why they care so much but...what can you do.

Lost in translation? It means the same now as it always has.

We live in a disposable era. People are time poor, life is rushed. Little one liners and throw away phrases are the norm. Does it make it any less sincere? Maybe. Less sincere than posting nothing?

If you care enough to comment at all then at least spend the time to write out a thoughtful and caring message. I mean they don't even take the time out to writ the whole thing just RIP (persons name)... idk

What do you think?

You obviously care enough about it to toot your horn. :)

I am not going to argue with you over the deal it is not that important it is just one of those things that seem strange to me, 

I guess this post is a reflection on the "everybody gets a medal" type of society we live in today. People are so easily offended. The fact that its even being discussed screams overly sensitive!

It's the horses for courses thing.....In some cultures they eat part of their dead. Offended yet?

Jesus H Christ man, if you have a problem with 3 letters delivered via social media your is desperate need of a strong glass of concrete!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc

The fact that you feel you must disparage anyone who believes in holding some sort of respect for others is a sign of the degradation rampant in society.

EDIT: Also, if you are so easily offended by easily offended people on social media, maybe social media is not a place you should peruse the topics.

Edited by Audrel

The fact that you feel you must disparage anyone who believes in holding some sort of respect for others is a sign of the degradation rampant in society.

Chicken or the egg?

I think you misunderstand me. I am not at all disparaging toward the sentiment, just the application.

EDIT: Also, if you are so easily offended by easily offended people on social media, maybe social media is not a place you should peruse the topics.

Touche'

No, actually I am disparaging toward the sentiment. You were right. 

The whole thing seems absurd to me.

Kegan asked we thought, thats what I think.

Curse the net. I try not to get involved in discussions such as these.

/Self imposed reply ban :angry:

Back into my politically incorrect niche and my Atari 2600.