Sign in to follow this  
Ulviirala

Things wrong with the new ships

Any solution to the cache/mem "leaks" and any other resource hogging would make Wurm allot more enjoyable. Just a ugly quick relog/flush button would be better than nothing

grats for successful derailing, this thread was about ugly ships, not about memory leaks

interesting how from one topic any sentence offtopic is deleted, while in other it is completely acceptable :P

in this case it turns attention from actual problem to old one, everybody are already used to and only few still hope it will be solved, what is good reason for tolerate such derailing, perhaps

grats for successful derailing, this thread was about ugly ships, not about memory leaks

interesting how from one topic any sentence offtopic is deleted, while in other it is completely acceptable :P

in this case it turns attention from actual problem to old one, everybody are already used to and only few still hope it will be solved, what is good reason for tolerate such derailing, perhaps

Well, it is kind of related since Saroman told us to use the highest rez textures to get nice ship graphics. Which several posters now have pointed out is not a real solution because it doesn't matter how good your computer is, you will get graphics lag from mem leaks, caching or whatever is the trouble and it will hit you sooner the higher texture quality you choose to use. 

Anyway, yes I agree. Let's get back to ship models and textures. Even though I think most has been said already. 

I notice the packs store the textures as .png files. If you're finding video memory getting chewed up fast, perhaps asking the engine guy about whether we're using DXT compression for textures? A 2048x2048 texture compressed doesn't take up that much video memory, whereas if you're loading from a png and not applying compression it will be huge. Any even vaguely modern GPU samples compressed textures very efficiently so you won't see any performance drop.

When I look at the textures the UV unwrap looks good/efficient, the details look good etc so don't see why they wouldn't look great in game.

It 's all about pixel ratio, texture memory(texture size),  and how many textures we want to use on an object , but I do agree about the cog.

honestly im happy with everything except for the fact that the front 3 people in a sailboat can't open the boat. (well second passenger to board can, but, only in certain directions)

Edited by Propheteer

I miss the times before wurm 1.0 :( wurm was so damn stable back then

• Like 2

I had a look last night. Wurm has options in Advanced Graphics for texture compression and DXT compression. If you think you might be running out of video memory, turn these on and see how it does.  IMO these should default to on, giving wurm's artists a lot more freedom to work. A DXT1 compressed 4096x4096 texture is SMALLER in video memory, in RAM and on disk than an uncompressed 2048x2048 texture and will show a TON more detail. Meaning up close it will look much less pixelated.

Several of the screenshots with pixelated graphics in this thread look like they aren't at max texture OR that a lower res mip map is kicking in too close to the camera, making what's displayed more pixelated than it needs to be.

Lastly, I notice we aren't using normal maps for any of these models. Normal maps would greatly improve the look by altering the lighting around details in the texture (like portholes, plank boundaries etc) giving a 3D look even though the underlying model is flat in that area. Again almost every even vaguely modern GPU is quite capable of incorporating normal mapping in a shader with minimal to no performance loss.

With no normal map:

nonormal.png

With normal map:

wnormal.png

I actually took my caravel out sailing, and I noticed that when you look to the left that piece of wood from the weirdly hanging back rig is actually hanging down in your view partially blocking looking left...and you really couldn't look forward...all you could see was the masts/sails...I had to wobble/turn to even see where the heck I was going. Is this supposed to be how sailing a real carack/caravel/whatever this thing actually is, is supposed to be?

If so, I want a refund. (JOKING!)

I needed to drag an abandoned rowboat off a new deed last night.. you had to be pretty near the back end of the boat before you got the "drag" option.  When moving along in the water, the boat is ontop of you, completely blocking your view.  A real pain, when you're also keeping an eye on the stamina meter so you can climb out before drowning.  

Need to be able to get the drag option at any position on the boat so you can see while dragging it. 

Edited by Mitzie