Sign in to follow this  
Ulviirala

Things wrong with the new ships

*cringe*

Specially that mess of cord and cloth at the back.

My first impression of the new ships was that i got sad and logged back out for hours, even the excitement for bridges faded for me= (

for me its the texture resolution not the model design that i dont like.

Edited by Lordterrabyte
  • Like 1

ok I yield...but if we take a second to look back to where wurm has come from Graphically, It's not so bad is it.

Lets face it most people started playing wurm regardless of its graphics.

Sailing is a HUGE aspect of the game for some of us.

For every km i do on land i do like 4 at sea.

My first impression of the new ships was that i got sad and logged back out for hours, even the excitement for bridges faded for me= (

for me its the texture resolution not the model design that i dont like.

The texture resolution is the problem yes. I think maybe they want to reduce the impact of the big models on the game cuz the sailboat and rowboat have better detail. Also, don't call a LONGSHIP which is a fighting and explortion ship a KNARR which is a cargo ship. Sheesh. It's like calling a destroyer a trawler.

Methinks this is how it is going to be. The ship models are good. The details are lacking. And the cannons. Lose the cannons.

Edited by Clatius

The texture resolution is the problem yes. I think maybe they want to reduce the impact of the big models on the game cuz the sailboat and rowboat have better detail. Also, don't call a LONGSHIP which is a fighting and explortion ship a KNARR which is a cargo ship. Sheesh. It's like calling a destroyer a trawler.

Methinks this is how it is going to be. The ship models are good. The details are lacking. And the cannons. Lose the cannons.

Correction. The textures are terrible, the models are bad, at least some of the models. 

All models involving a sail heh heh heh 

Blackbeard be twichin' in Davy Jones's locker.

I just think it's hilarious that all RL religion discussions are forbidden in chat and then they launch a boat with a Crusader Cross on the sails. Made my day :)

• Like 5

Anyone tried dredging on the new sailboat and or rowboat?

I've used the sailboat and it's very hard to see from the sitting position your surrounding slopes.

will try a row boat soon.

• Like 1

I don't think they're that bad. Yes, the cog is a disaster, and the cannon-mouths are a crime against humanity. And that knarr sail does look goofy.

Seems like these slipped through the cracks during the crush to get bridges ready.

Seems like these slipped through the cracks during the crush to get bridges ready.

They're 2013 graphics, hence my calls for the new art recruits to be given the mission of making ships that aren't so ... well... embarrassing.

I don't think they're that bad. Yes, the cog is a disaster, and the cannon-mouths are a crime against humanity. And that knarr sail does look goofy.

It is NOT a Knarr. It is a Viking Longship. They should be ashamed if they insist on so badly misnaming a legendary ship as the Longship. Club AB is in Sweden and they do this.  :(

Longship, long (thus the name) and narrow. Knarr, broad of beam for carrying cargo. 

Longship

Longship_zpsgtfxpcn3.jpg

Knarr

Modell_Knorr_zpssjysecwf.jpg

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 1

These pictures are disgraceful. How could they implement these models at such a low standard? They look completely out of place in the wurm world.

The ship textures are available at 2048x2048 in the packs, but you need Maximum texture size (normal textures) set to No limit under the Advanced graphics tab or they will be scaled down ingame.

2+Gb of video ram is recommended for this setting.

Other issues that are still left will be worked on as we go along of course!

• Like 2

The ship textures are available at 2048x2048 in the packs, but you need Maximum texture size (normal textures) set to No limit under the Advanced graphics tab or they will be scaled down ingame.

It means, that on my "outdated 512MB video card" will Wurm no more look fine?

Upgrading your hardware is usually the way to go sadly if you want to enjoy the crispest available graphic settings.

Upgrading your hardware is usually the way to go sadly if you want to enjoy the crispest available graphic settings.

Well yes, and optimization is another way, usually ...

Year and half ago, when X Rebirth was released badly unfinished, unpolished and bugged as hell, I had there 2-3 FPS in best ... now after Egosoft spent hard times on patches I have acceptable 20-30 FPS on the same hardware.

While in Wurm before 1.0 I had clear 60 fps, but after each major patch I had to lower my setting. Now there is no more things I could set lower and I'm on 5-15 FPS. With 0 FPS often when turning view into dense forest close by.

One of best things on Wurm was, how tolerant it was for older hardware. It is no longer true, pity.

Edited by Zakerak
  • Like 2

So, what you are saying is that the texture quality is worse because ships are large and the client picks a lower rez texture to be able to fit the texture inside maximum texture size?

But texture quality is not just about resolution, I doubt that they will look a lot better in higher resolution because they are just terribly bad looking. Will test when I get home from work. 

I have a 2GB Nvidia card and all of my settings are always set high with no limits set where available for that particular setting. When you talk about crisp textures I visualize the small cart textures. Now, compare that to the sailboat below the small cart. There is a marked difference between the textures. What I fear is that the sailboat textures will become the standard for the game. That would indeed be a sad day in WURM. If that is how all textures are going to look you might as well paste in World of Warcraft items with their cartoon textures. Please tell me all wood textures are not going to look like WURM's boats. 

Small Cart Textures (crisp)

wurm.20150519.0645_zps2bkdqwj0.jpg

Sail Boat Textures (not so crisp)

wurm.20150519.0646_zpswki42pt7.jpg

What Sarcaticous said and.... 

Not even Pixar's best GPU's can fix the disaster that is sail placing, sail cordage, and general ample inconsistencies in the ships' design.  If I were to make ships IRL using Wurm's exact same designs they'd be for the most part unsailable.

Size comparison, Caravel right next to a Corbita...

wurm.20150519.1719jvu96.png

:'(

A single tear runs down my cheek. As I tie a rope to my body, and push a mooring anchor off the side of the caravel.

Edited by Ulviirala

Thanks for that Ulviirala. I thought they looked a little 'shrunken' size-wise. They don't even have the old 'grand' scope of the previous boats.

Also, to the art dev : I run a nVidia GeForce GTX 680...and run majority of settings on 'extreme'/max and that setting you suggested is already at 'no limit' by default on my rig, and these boats look like a 'April Fools' joke, except it's already May. I seriously hope you people have plans to actually fix them.

I feel like you've made my one 'show-off' piece a laughing stock.

Building that caravel took me over a week and a half of hardcore work using low QL wood and failing upwards of 25 times on some pieces due to that + low skill (All the while allowing me to prove my neighbors, who harrassed me and told me I would never be able to do anything of that grand a scale, wrong..). I was able to proudly display it in my harbor/flaunt it/take it for jaunts to visit people/travel around meeting folks and carry massive loads around without a problem which enabled me to move servers. Now it makes me want to hide it in a cave and hope a collapse wipes it out.

Please bring the majesty of my caravel back, either by reversing this awful update, or making these models look way better...and definitely make sure we get shaders, because removing all the wood types is ruining the game for me. I already lost my Rare Cherrywood FSB's color, and can't do cherrywood BSB's anymore, and now I've lost my cherry boats...it's starting to look like a bland wasteland of poorly designed lookalike products.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if the dev team is aware of this, doesn't seem like it at least, but it's nigh impossible to use "No limit" on textures since your memory leak bug that you're supposedly working on starts filling up the memory from the second you log in if you use it. It takes less than 5 minutes to crash (in many cases, sometimes longer if "lucky") while using limitless textures on an up-to-date computer.

Upgrading the hardware on up-to-date computers isn't going to fix the memory leak bug. Just saying.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 3

I'm not sure if the dev team is aware of this, doesn't seem like it at least, but it's nigh impossible to use "No limit" on textures since your memory leak bug that you're supposedly working on starts filling up the memory from the second you log in if you use it. It takes less than 5 minutes to crash (in many cases, sometimes longer if "lucky") while using limitless textures on an up-to-date computer.

Upgrading the hardware on up-to-date computers isn't going to fix the memory leak bug. Just saying.

I have all settings maxed out and experience no crashes. I can run two alts and main with max settings and even then experience no crashes. The graphics gets a bit jumpy running three windows at full settings but that's the only negative aspect I experience. Since there are so many different machine configurations I can see how it would be possible for one person to experience crashes while another person does not.