Sign in to follow this  
Ulviirala

Things wrong with the new ships

Of course, but I'm not going to buy new computer parts until I find a setup that is able to cope with the bug for longer. I'm just not that rich, nor do I have the time or want to do so. :)

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 2

The ship textures are available at 2048x2048 in the packs, but you need Maximum texture size (normal textures) set to No limit under the Advanced graphics tab or they will be scaled down ingame.

2+Gb of video ram is recommended for this setting.

Other issues that are still left will be worked on as we go along of course!

Max resolution in these pics.

w8ZBGZi.jpg 

38vu9bO.jpg 

JAgDJLJ.png 

Doesn't change the wonky cording and sail placements all over the place..... 

And..... 

For a game that relies so much on volunteer work, isn't demanding 2048x2048 from all your customers a bit <censors self out and just hits "Post">

• Like 4

The ship textures are available at 2048x2048 in the packs, but you need Maximum texture size (normal textures) set to No limit under the Advanced graphics tab or they will be scaled down ingame.

2+Gb of video ram is recommended for this setting.

Other issues that are still left will be worked on as we go along of course!

Upgrading your hardware is usually the way to go sadly if you want to enjoy the crispest available graphic settings.

Are you really that foolish?  Games are made to accomodate older machines, not the latest and greatest.  If you want to attract more players this is NOT the way to go.  Just admit you made a mistake with the graphics for boats and fix it.  Soothing your ego by telling us to upgrade our PCs does not help the business.

• Like 8

Upgrading your hardware is usually the way to go sadly if you want to enjoy the crispest available graphic settings.

Worst response possible. Wurm is not a game you should have to update your hardware to due to a graphics update.

And certainly not for an update as painful as this one.

Seems the dev team is aiming for quantity over quality when it comes to making changes. Please don't go "MIcrosoft" on us and think you have to change something because it's been too long without a change.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but im wondering if we think there will be a `stand up` option for ships in the future.

Currently gathering the motivation needed to lower my disembark tile by 10 dirt because it can't be seen when sitting.

As a comparison to showcase just how buggy the "no limit" on textures is:
- I can run The Witcher 3
- No limit textures in Wurm fill up the RAM and crash me.

Don't tell me to get a new computer to fix your mistake,

• Like 2

Look at the facts. Your computer crashes with WURM maxed out. Others don't. Mine does ok with maxed out settings. Yours doesn't. Can't really say it's the fault of the game if it can't run on every single PC ever made cuz there's so much different stuff in each one. Each game is different to so some might crash a computer while others don't. Witcher probly got tested on a bazillion setups cuz they have the money and people. WURM doesn't.

Doesn't make any difference that the ships look crappy no matter what settings. 

• Like 1

It's not a matter of the computer and my point isn't at all what you're griping at, because you are wrong - They have a memory leak bug on their hands. They have even admitted in the past that they know about the various problems, some of them are (or have been) trying to solve them. They can choose to ignore it further, or try to solve it or whatever, but telling people to get new hardware to cope with their bugs is foul public relations management and shouldn't be a thing. If the Art Director can't handle critisism without putting the blame of their mistake on the customers he shouldn't try to deal with customer complaints.

• Like 2

Alright I agree with the boat models being bad but blaming devs for you not having good hardware and for using high resolution textures (?????) is just a whole new level of insanity.

@Aeris, I have played wurm online on 4 different rigs over the span of almost 3 years now and I've only experienced a memory leak once, and they fixed that one pretty quickly. My wurm uses 1gb on the highest settings, clearly there is something wrong with your computer. Wurm online is actually pretty darn well performance-optimized for a java game, if you guys just got rid of your age old computers you'd see that. We're living in 2015, you can't expect to run this game flawlessy with a 2010 build and the devs are not to blame for that.

@others Having a GPU with less than 2gb means you need an upgrade to keep up there mates, it's been a while since those were sold.

Edited by Elktazahjr

Alright I agree with the boat models being bad but blaming devs for you not having good hardware and for using high resolution textures (?????) is just a whole new level of insanity.

@Aeris, I have played wurm online on 4 different rigs over the span of almost 3 years now and I've only experienced a memory leak once, and they fixed that one pretty quickly. My wurm uses 1gb on the highest settings, clearly there is something wrong with your computer. Wurm online is actually pretty darn well performance-optimized for a java game, if you guys just got rid of your age old computers you'd see that. We're living in 2015, you can't expect to run this game flawlessy with a 2010 build and the devs are not to blame for that.

@others Having a GPU with less than 2gb means you need an upgrade to keep up there mates, it's been a while since those were sold.

Friend of mine with a pretty decent pc, 32gb ram + 2x gtx 970's crashed the other day due to this non-existant memory leak.

I've 8gb ram (and an amd apu) if i travel too far even without max settings my client will eventually lock up and shut down, clearly no bugs there.

On my mediocre laptop with 6gb ram, same thing, my partners laptop with 6gb ram, same thing.

Sorry but I don't particularly like this whole bs of "i dont suffer so it isn't real". Just like when you suffer from a particular graphical bug a typical response is "get nvidia" or "thats why most people prefer nvidia". Not everyone uses the same or the most expensive hardware, that doesn't mean the issues with their setups should be ignored or overlooked because it's not affecting everyone.

"Doesn't hurt the majority of the playerbase? meh, idgaf, lets ignore it" - Wogic

• Like 4

Not much to respond to in your post since it was based on unfounded opinions and assumptions on your part rather than facts, but felt I needed to highlight this part in order to make it blatantly obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.

Anyone who claims that Wurm doesn't have some kind of memory leak exists in a different universe to the majority to us, a universe I'd much prefer to exist in...

• Like 9

I must indeed be living in some parallel universe then. Anyway, I didn't know a lot of people suffered from this issue as I thought it was more specific to Aeris himself.

@Aeris

How exactly am I wrong? It is a fact that it has been a while since GPU's less than 2gigs have been sold and if you do still have one you could probably use an upgrade. You telling me "lol ur just wrong" has absolutely 0 value.

16GB Ram, GTX 770 Graphics 4GB mem, water cooled Core I7 4790K 4Ghz processor, SSD drives. I can run pretty much anything on this machine. But not Wurm for more than 30-60 min if I do some travelling in populated areas. After some travelling I get 0,5-1s graphics lag every 5-10s and have to restart the client. 

I have no problem running 2-5 Wurm clients at once as long as I don't travel around too much though. Sitting at my deed crafting, building enchanting with a couple of chars a whole evening is no problem at all. Processors are pretty much idle and graphics card at normal load. 

• Like 3

I can run any AAA game (GTA, witcher 3, etc) and have a GTX 980, and brand new motherboard/processor, 16GB of ram and wurm is installed on an SSD with 80% free space. All those brand new games, can play for 12+ hours never an issue. Wurm, I always need to have a 2nd login window open in the background because after an hour and a half or 2 hours, especially when travelling on boat or horse, the game becomes completely unplayable. Every 2-5 seconds there is a 2 second stutter or so when the screen freezes, then jerks back into position only to freeze up again seconds later. This happens consistently and will not stop until you close the client and log in again

next time i see it i'll make a video of it happening

edit:

also, i can run 5 clients at the same time when i need to with no issues, and although usually have 1 client running, and thats when i see the issue (also travelling by boat and across servers)

I've also noticed HUGE problems with displacement where people look to be 5-10 tiles away from where they really are.

Edited by Naio

I can see that beeing terrible in a pvp situation, Naio

Performance has been an issue for years, small improvements have been made but they are outweighed by the amount of new things that got added that cause more lag.

Worst issues are:

-big groups of people causing lag

-big cities causing lag

-desync mainly on (but not limited to) boats (realy annoying during pvp)

-memory leaks causing the game to crash or making it super laggy (mainly when travelling)

Edited by McDaniel

You get spanked for this one ^. even if i bought a new comp tomorrow it would not change fugly ships :angry:

Perhaps we have gotten spoiled. I loved my old Knarr,and the other boats where at lease impressive to look at.I fully expected the new models to really knock my socks off given the work that has been coming from the team lately.

This may have been a "my bad" for too high of expectations regarding ship models.

Edited by Chiqa
  • Like 1

Memory leaks from traveling are bad. Like really bad. After traveling a certain distance my client starts to freeze when I move around, it starts happening like every 2-3 tiles, then it can get so bad that I cannot even move a single tile anymore.

• Like 4

If you can keep world of warcraft open for 12 hours no issues but Wurm locks up every couple of kilometers' worth of travel.... 

Yeah must be a slow rig.  Excuuuuse me for not adding another 16GB of RAM and 2 MORE GB of GPU memory.

Maybe my 8-core processor ain't enough and I need 8 GPU cores?

Maybe a few SSD's in RAID mode?   Can I just host my own server instead if that's so?

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 1

First, even at 2048x2048, the textures aren't very crisp. It's almost as if they were done in a step down and then resized. As said before, it also doesn't fix the way the textures fail to match up between the different faces of the model or the errors in the models themselves. Is there a reason you've limited the models to so few vertices? If you're telling us to upgrade our PCs in order to view better graphics, surely you can support models that are smoother and have better resolution. The ropes themselves are something I'd have expected from EverQuest back in 1999. It's just disappointing to have waited for so long to receive graphics that feel only half done. It's also shocking when bridges came out so beautifully done - the quality of those in comparison to the new boats just makes the failure of the new boat models seem so much more pronounced.

Also, to chime in on the memory leak, there is indeed a memory leak. The size of the Java run-time executable swells as one travels through the world, making it neigh impossible to do much of anything after a period of time. The more RAM you have, both system and GPU, the longer you can seem to go before the inevitable restart of the client, either voluntarily or not. If you want an example, simply log into Wurm and walk around your deed a little, then use your system's task manager and note down the RAM usage. Then go for a sail - between islands even - if you can without crashing. Stop at 30 minute intervals and continue to write down the RAM usage. It will continue to grow until you begin to experience the same graphical lag that others here have.

I have noticed that it takes me a bit longer than 30 minutes to experience it, for example: I sailed from F12 Xanadu to the middle north of Exodus last night, through Deli, and it wasn't until I ran around a bit on Exodus that I had to restart my client. Some of that could just be living with the pain. I'm also running Windows 10, which has proven quite laggy with Wurm with my hardware to begin with. I had a much better time on Windows 7 with Aero turned off an don Ubuntu. Still, on Win7 and Win10, the memory leak is obvious. Which makes sense, since Java is not a native language - it should behave the same across all three operating systems.

I'm also not saying that this is a direct issue with Wurm. Java itself has a long history of memory leaks in its core - which is how many Java vulnerabilities are discovered and exploited. Your JRE version may very well be the reason things are different for some of you. I'm running 1.8.0_45 x64 at the moment. Perhaps there should be a community thread started where folks with this bug can post their system specs, Java and OS versions, and specifics on when it happens to them and what they did to make it happen? That could be helpful for the Devs in tracking it down. Someone would need to come up with a standard for it though, since without the ability to compare symptoms and variables consistently, it would just be another "It's broke" thread.

• Like 1

Just to echo what has been said over and over again in this thread....

Yes there is a Memory Leak in wurm, that is very apparent when traveling.

Is this Wurms code or fault, perhaps and again perhaps not as Java is well known for memory leaks....  and the quality of your rig what Graphics card what operating system how much ram etc etc are not going to change the memory leak issue it will simply be more apparent for those with less RAM....  But No computer is immune, perhaps your running a version of java that performs better but that's about the only factor that could make you supposedly immune...

Oh Java does have that issue on its own that much is true.

Still doesn't explain the subpar ship graphics AND designs ;-P

It might not be a memory leak, might be that it just caches more and more textures into memory the more items you pass by. They are not really leaked then, it's just that the cache grows. They could fix that by having a maximum cache size but that could lead to other performance problems in case those textures are actually frequently needed, all of them... Or, there is a leak,who knows :P