Sign in to follow this  
Ulviirala

Things wrong with the new ships

...it's a trip to the eye doctor for you.

Not everyone likes lego-boats for the kids.

I wonder when Rolf will remove wood types in general and make the trees look all the same.

Cog and Corbita graphics are complete fail. Looks like some child made them. Sorry, it's the harsh truth.

Rowboat, Small Sailboat and Knarr are ok, they fit nicely into the Wurm theme, although scale is not perfect, especially Knarr looks a bit too small. 

* EDIT - I Vote for boat rollback until you have something better *

No, sailboat is NOT ok. Sail needs to go back to how it was. Remember horses? People were asked which they wanted. Give us options to choose from for boats just like you did for horses. 

why is this game always one step forwards, two step backwards, no wonder no one plays it.

I don't like the trend overall moving from a "rustic" aesthetic to a more stylized high medieval one.  With these new ships for example, we lost wood texture customization and models that had the feel of hand-crafted boats that fit well within the traditional wurm atmosphere.  Now we have ships that at best look like something out of a storybook.  They clash with existing wurm art and really seem out of place.

• Like 1

I don't like the trend overall moving from a "rustic" aesthetic to a more stylized high medieval one.  With these new ships for example, we lost wood texture customization and models that had the feel of hand-crafted boats that fit well within the traditional wurm atmosphere.  Now we have ships that at best look like something out of a storybook.  They clash with existing wurm art and really seem out of place.

The game has been moving from a dark and threatening atmosphere to a lighter and more welcoming one for a long time. The graphics are improving for sure but I do admit I miss the old dark pine forests. I don't think the original style was really an artistic choice though.

Well, I like them, they look fine on my computer and the textures even though are a small amount cartoonish, they are higher definition than the last type and to me look better for the game. Eg look at both Corbita's, if you think the old type looks worse than the next...it's a trip to the eye doctor for you.

So, you mean that on your computer the cog doesn't look like in the screenshot in OP? 

Ok, OP doesn't seem to have AA turned on, but that should not affect the textures, only the model outlines. I have AAx4 and my cog looks like in the screenshot below. But it's not only the low QL textures it's also the sloppy design, there is no real thought to anything. And cannons, really?

6.jpg

• Like 3

I have to reconsider my "lego"-comparsion.
It was wrong.

MF5NTzM.jpg?1

I see much complaining about the new ships. I don't see any high quality screen shots. Is it all complaining with no examples other than shots at low settings? I agree with the 'wtf cannons'.

Edited by Sarcaticous

I see much complaining about the new ships. I don't see any high quality screen shots. Is it all complaining with no examples other than shots at low settings? I agree with the 'wtf cannons'.

The game has a lot of memory leak bugs which a lot of people avoid by lowering their settings. Part of the job is to make sure that the low settings don't look like dog poo, especially when a large portion of the playerbase uses them.

OK then....

-Placeholder til daylight to show y'all in high res just how crappy they look, with some closeups of the knarr's botched sail and rope setup-

Well, at low settings things usually do look like dog poo. It makes it hard to see what everyone is complaining about since at low settings the ships have always looked like the Playmobile ship above.

BTW, the Knarr is supposed to be a cargo ship with a broad beam. Why does it look more like a longship?

Thank you Mordraug.

Edited by Sarcaticous

I really didn't notive the new bugs, what i DID notice was this: new models were first teased over a year ago, they've been delayed because they wanted to test collision and how to place the driver so not to block the view when driving.

While its better now, the later still failed miserably. Another great example of how poorly Wurm developers think of their costumers.

Let's start with the corb:

Just realized that's the rear, not the front (i only own knarr and small vessels, more on those in a bit)

Observe the (lack of) seamless blending between texture parts.

wurm_20150517_1407_2.jpgMarvel at the plastic railing and fiberglass red.... thing... on the railings.

wurm_20150517_1407_1.jpgFront stick makes a great front stick.

Now the Sailboat:

wurm_20150517_1409.jpgIf the wind changes, how would one swivel that?

wurm_20150517_1409_1.jpgCaptain Morgan would hang whoever did the rope work on the mast while at it.

Rowing boat}:  Imho least hurt ship (though my green paintjob and love of Smurfs allows me to pretend I'm smurfin' away floating on a leaf so may be biased), however now that we can FINALLY sit, I get this urge to embark a couple, stand at the rear, and sing "La Donna e Mobile".

wurm_20150517_1414_1.jpg

Cog!

wurm_20150517_1412.jpg

The plank job is insulting to carpenters, cannon holes in a world with no cannons, with medieval knight shields all over the railing... mmmmhm.....  Gotta love how the sails look like an emergency fix at sea using all the crew's hammocks.

wurm_20150517_1413_1.jpgNo one in his right mind's gonna adjust THAT rigging, specially not in a squall.... in part because it's flimsily held to the outside of the hull (for some reason) with a discarded ladder.

wurm_20150517_1413.jpgEpic rope pixelation is epic... very retro.. Win95 even.

wurm_20150517_1413_2.jpgBarrel sticking out of the side is a nice touch.... not sure of what though.

And last but not least for now... THE KNARR.

wurm_20150517_1414_2.jpgGreat knotwork................................................ 

wurm_20150517_1414_4.jpgNoclip h@x on those shields!!!

wurm_20150517_1415.jpgCast plastic, manufactured in Indonesia for the Mattel Corporation

wurm_20150517_1415_1.jpgMS-Paint sea serpent describes my reaction when I see these new models, incidentally.  Nice knotwork once again.

wurm_20150517_1415_2.jpgLook closely, only way sail could ever swivel is to drive the knarr backwards.

wurm_20150517_1415_3.jpgIf it weren't also illogically (but quite wogically) tied to the hull too.

wurm_20150517_1415_4.jpgFrom the other side from those who don't own one.  Aaaand.... 

wurm_20150517_1415_5.jpg

Putting the sail on backwards isn't art to begin with, unless you're Yoko Ono.

Bonus screenshot for anyone wanting a comparison point for which res I'm using:

wurm_20150517_1416.jpg

Could visit a caravel later.

Long story short:  Those new ship models are bad and you should feel bad, CC.  LET THE NEW ART TEAM WORK THEIR MAGIC ON SHIPS.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 7

I have to reconsider my "lego"-comparsion.

It was wrong.

MF5NTzM.jpg?1

That actually looks like an upgrade. Can I get that one instead? :P

• Like 4

My screenshots are at highest quality the game can produce. Everything (almost) else looks great, it's just the ships that look this bad. If you can point me to the setting that makes ships look better, please enlighten me, I'll adjust it right way.

My screenshots are at highest quality the game can produce. Everything (almost) else looks great, it's just the ships that look this bad. If you can point me to the setting that makes ships look better, please enlighten me, I'll adjust it right way.

Only one I can think of is sailing at night with your lantern off.. 

I am speechless. Are these the new wood textures we can 'look forward to'? I sincerely hope not. If so, the game is ruined. How can you, at one stroke, create something as awesome as bridges and as horrible as the new ship models?

• Like 1

Im not saying they cant be better. But, I do think they are better than the old ones. As for dyes on them and that pink one posted further up the thread. Yes, that's horrible. I've never liked anything dyed in wurm though. Except for Emoo's rare golden sailingboat.

Edited by Milosanx
  • Like 1

Milo... they so ugleh i miss my knarr's sail in my face.... was so awful to have there i'd have to flick my knarr to the side for 10 seconds every.... what.... 30 minutes on a bad day when delivering 2 cave canals away from open sea on Xanadu?

That extra 10 seconds per half hour really really ain't worth the abomination my formerly gorgeous rare knarr became.

Not sure if to start keeping her on a ship transporter despite the inconvenience or shoot the poor thing below her water line somewhere deep.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 1

[06:50:05] You are too far away to do that.

I have to find that magical square millimeter that contains the singularity point in which all my crates and rafts are kept. I spend more time looking for that spot than I do unloading the boat.

EDIT: I can't even unload it after boarding the damn thing. 

This is absurd.  The small area available to open the hull; the small area allowed to board, the distance (or lack thereof) that you can be in order to load/unload cargo, the fact you cant see out of a couple of models.....  these changes do nothing to add to the game, only make an already frustrating process more frustrating. And werent passengers allowed to moor before?

Please make changes that add to the game, not just change the things that are working.

That said  Stairs and bridges are awesome. Thank you for your hard work in these.

Im not saying they cant be better. But, I do think they are better than the old ones. As for dyes on them and that pink one posted further up the thread. Yes, that's horrible. I've never liked anything dyed in wurm though. Except for Emoo's rare golden sailingboat.

You kidding? My sailboat was made out of oak, the only thing that made it bearable to look at was that sexy pink dye

c'mon now guys, they worked super hard for a long time to make them look this bad. Give 'em some credit would ya

I will admit that honestly I didn't take any notice of the models of the new boats when they came out. I've quite happily spent the last week or so wandering about completely oblivious to these models, they looked okay to me. This thread has shown me the error of my way and what has been seen now cannot be unseen. These really are quite bad but really the real rage moment came when I finally saw that Cogs have canons....Canons...CANONS!!

What?

What?!

WHAT?!

oqerKtw.gif

Rolf plz, wat is this. 

You want pictures to see what I mean? Here's the caravel.

dKlg6Ns.jpg

Looks somewhat OK from a distance...

Rl0QiY2.jpg

Then you get closer and you start to notice things...

jTU5dQI.jpg

Like the poorly pixellated Coat of Arms on the front.

g5xRpOg.jpg

Or the weird side rigging/badly done ropes, and the 'fancy' Coeur d Alene's or whatever those are supposed to be along the back...with holes above them.

AEPKjcz.jpg

Then you hop in, and you see how really trashy it is. Is that supposed to be a lifeboat in my caravel? It looks awful. The door/latches to the hold look trashy. And whatever those gold things up front are supposed to be, they sure as hell don't look like they should be whatever they are. Once again, the ropes look awful.

PUHpNvb.jpg

More back/side view. The 'fancy detailing' looks like up close. I will say that the actual sails/rigging don't look too bad...though I question this back sail's rigging as it looks like 2 snapped pieces stuck together barely holding on. Also, the crows nest looks bulky/horrible.

FF6iYhb.jpg

Then you get up on something and glance over the railing...are those supposed to be DOORS and windows PAINTED ON A TOY? Lifeboat once again looks shoddy.

9ixSnXK.jpg

Let's not forget the awful looking rudder that they apparently copied over on the x3 bigger ships...

I didn't even state my gripes about the other ships here. This is supposed to be the 'flagship' of our fleets. And it looks like a toy someone stuck in a bathtub...

• Like 1