Sign in to follow this  
Ulviirala

Things wrong with the new ships

1) The first passenger of a cog is not in the Crows Nest anymore. That... I don't even... WHY?! Instead you embark somewhere in the front, which brings us to the client-sided visual bug. And what about the caravel?! Mrrrr.

2) Weird client side bug/desync.

- Here is the cog: a0Oy4jf.png

- Embark as passenger and the cog magically moves forward (client-side only): zx7UyaV.png

Embarking as commander magically makes the cog move backwards again. This definitely holds true for the Knarr. The other ships and boats are probably affected then, too.

The crows nest change though... augh! Finally something to complain! Gone a great camera lookout for screenshots and video making.

• Like 6

NOOO why no crows nest!!!!

Just spent a few minutes popping in and out of boats..crows nest is now 2nd passenger.   :huh:

Edited by Dorian
  • Like 1

No crows nest is fail.  maybe give an option of choosing to be there?

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 1

Cog and Corbita graphics are complete fail. Looks like some child made them. Sorry, it's the harsh truth.

Rowboat, Small Sailboat and Knarr are ok, they fit nicely into the Wurm theme, although scale is not perfect, especially Knarr looks a bit too small. 

* EDIT - I Vote for boat rollback until you have something better *

Edited by Torgrim
  • Like 1

Knarr sail doesn't only look silly pretty much parallel to the keel... the little angle it does have is BACKWARDS.

• Like 2

First off, I don't care how cool or ugly the boats look (or even if knarr sail is on backwards), as long as the driver can see!!  Currently the knarr provides massively improved visibility, which I love.  Besides, Picasso paints like a child...

• Like 4

I googled "Corbita" and "Cog" to see what their real life counterparts look like.

I think I found the inspiration for the new Corbita model:

39876d1234013928-1-2-wip-corbita-romana-

I have to agree though the corbita and cog are my least favorite of the new models.

• Like 2

Biggest problem with the new ships is the skins.  They are made to look good at a distance, but as you get close they become quite ugly and cartoonish.  They probably won't reverse the update, but we can at least insist they rework those skins so there is clearer details.  Until then I agree, they are a fail.

• Like 5

I will hide mine in a cave until they at least fix the textures, those pixelated lines makes my head hurt if I move to close. 

Steeloxide, nice pic of an ugly boat, yeah I see where they got the corbita look from now :P They mimiced that one pretty good but with addition of way too low rez textures.

For the ships having zero changes made to them coding wise as the models were aimply swappwd out, they have a lot of issues.... Ehich tells me they ninja changed crap again.

If I could rant about how much I dislike the new boats and the removal of wood texture and sailing in some sort of furniture-looking-like-thingies, I'd rant. But I can't.

Doesn't mean I dislike them less.

• Like 4

I took the new galleon ship model out for a test drive.

Here's a picture.

aEus0lN.jpg

What do you think?

• Like 5

before complaining think about this you really want the dev to re-do some of the ship model instead of working on something new ? worth it really???  it's a big improvement so let it be imo.

The little mast sticking out the front of the ship is a bowsprit, designed for forestays and sails , looks like  some ships are missing a sail.

The Knarr has the sail rigged on the wrong side of the mast, should be on the fore side of the mast not the aft. In a gale with this backward rigging loss of the ship is predicted.

On the good side, my knarr went thru several cave canal entrances with no problem, well done on that fix.

Edited by zorako

For some reason, this is more what comes to mind when I look at them.

12803_gollnest_wooden_pop_gun-500x500.jp

They look like wooden toy pop guns. Coloring and all.

Also when you get close and look at the decks/certain things like door features, it gives this 'Really unpolished' feel, like they just took a small image, and re-sized it up and the pixels are all 'off'/wonky looking.

I actually don't mind the knarr/rowboat look...and can only see a corb crashed on a mountain because I sold mine and someone else crashed theirs by my place...and I don't have a sailboat to look at as I sold that off too. Also don't have my cog near me, but I remembered it felt like it looked 'off' like that too, when they 'accidentally' put them in for a short time back when and I saw them.

The caravel kind of looks decent, but again has that feel to the deck back door, and the sides look a bit off too..like something's just not 'right'. And it totally gives me the spoiler picture feel...'Oh, I'm looking at a toy, not something I actually would sail...'

All I can say is- WTF

No Model for the Valeri Temple after like 4 years but we can Reskin Ships to make them look worse and take away yet another wood texture to quote un quote improve game performance!

This reminds me of Coffins which didnt need to be reskinned and I want the old skin back, Demon Statue's that are now dog ugly and the old demon was gorgeous and the only statue other then the horse worth building for decoration!

Not to mention the new sword skin sucks....  But hey reskinning weapons for a 6th time while we still have placeholders in the game makes perfect sense for the art department....

• Like 2

What I'd like to know is why can't we use different wood for boats anymore? I felt that added to the game. Now shipbuilding's just going to get more boring.

Look good until you get up close. Hope that's being worked on...

What I'd like to know is why can't we use different wood for boats anymore? I felt that added to the game. Now shipbuilding's just going to get more boring.

Because its just not viable anymore with the current setup apparently. There was talk from... Buddha was it? ...about them possibly trying out various schemes later to bring wood types back.

Edited by Klaa

I miss the wood types. First BSBs and FSBs, now boats. Everything is becoming cookie cutter the same... no personality.

• Like 3

If I could rant about how much I dislike the new boats and the removal of wood texture and sailing in some sort of furniture-looking-like-thingies, I'd rant. But I can't.

Doesn't mean I dislike them less.

• Like 2

before complaining think about this you really want the dev to re-do some of the ship model instead of working on something new ? worth it really???  it's a big improvement so let it be imo.

Yes, it would be worth it for the art team to re-do the corbita and cog models at the very least. The sails for the knarr and sailboat need some tweaking as well but are at least decent. I preferred the older models to the new ones (except the rowboat) personally. Now, that doesn't mean I want the old ones back, it just means that the new models need some work.

Corbitas look like bath toys.

Edited by Laiwyn

I can't get it into my head how they could release boats in this state. Pretty much everything else that they have done looks really nice, including bridges, and fits into the game (with very few exceptions). And then all of a sudden they release something like this?! Where did the design QA go? You have some pretty good artists in your team, they seriously can't see that these boats are just wrong?

Boats are very important and they are big, very visible, objects in the game world. They need to look good, so yes, I think it is more important to fix boats than to introduce new features. It can't be more than a couple of weeks work for one artist to fix the 2-3 most ugly ones. 

About wood types. Yeah, it's really sad. But I think the devs have had good explanations for removing them. But removing wood types and at the same time making the item look ugly is not really acceptable. 

I think that releasing something in this sad state is not a good sign for things to come. I really hope it is just an exception and not a new trend :(

• Like 2

that ships, seeing them I feel sick, my belly rumble, I'm going to puke

there is one solution, build a lot of ship carts and store there all my ships and lock them into some forgotten storage house

... assuming, I will be able locate them for load, that ships are badly synchronized now, we see them on wrong place and it is hard to repair/improve them or access their cargo bay

why I'm still surprised, that most of updates are one step forward and two steps back? I'm already long enough in Wurm to be accustomed to that :/

Look at the knarr's sails closer, in fact.

Not only is it placed wrong, if you look at the ropes, that sail can only ever swivel to push the ship backwards can't swivel at all.

Rolf............. where's your nordic pride?

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 1