Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Bridge screenshots

WIP - probably not the way they were intended to be used - but I couldn't help myself. Maybe in a week or two it will be finished and I can post some more proper screenshots from other angles. For now, this is what I got:MYAwBLr.jpg

• Like 28

WIP - probably not the way they were intended to be used - but I couldn't help myself. Maybe in a week or two it will be finished and I can post some more proper screenshots from other angles. For now, this is what I got:

I want to see more of this! Especially when it is completed!

Hmm...who will build the first WURM cathedral?

WIP - probably not the way they were intended to be used - but I couldn't help myself. Maybe in a week or two it will be finished and I can post some more proper screenshots from other angles. For now, this is what I got:MYAwBLr.jpg

*falls to her knees*

That is... that is... *wipes a tear away* Beautiful!

• Like 4

Photobucket lets you copy a direct link that you can paste in by clicking on the image icon on the post toolbar. Much easier than having to wait for a link to decide to come up. Me and my friends share a Photobucket account and it works very nicely. 

Clever way of using buildings to raise the area for the bridge to be built - kinda wish we would have done this now that I see it - but dont know that I want to rebuild a 11x2 tile bridge and dig out the 1k dirt or something dropped :S Kudos to you NESGamepro for thinking of this solution - the dirt ramps are so much uglier.

Clever way of using buildings to raise the area for the bridge to be built - kinda wish we would have done this now that I see it - but dont know that I want to rebuild a 11x2 tile bridge and dig out the 1k dirt or something dropped :S Kudos to you NESGamepro for thinking of this solution - the dirt ramps are so much uglier.

Where have you been. Several have already done this.  :lol:

Two reasons to use dirt over buildings on highways.

If you attach a bridge to a upper floor on a house. The entire bridge poofs if house is destroyed. With disembark/stuck/death bugs that carts and house's have. If dirt can be used I think dirt is better.

Also buildings are not allowed to be placed over current highways.

i wish we could do arched bridges with with just the 10 dirt above water ramps, maybe with a length minimum so the bridge can go high enough. That's what i originally wanted, I settled for using buildings because I don't like the huge dirt ramps, I think it looks pretty good anyway, just not my ideal.

No highway there, it replaced a land bridge that used to be there, goes to a clay island.

qsYoGPT.jpg

Southeast Deliverance has this new bridge, spanning the sound between "Serendipity Peninsula" and the mainland:

Ei1l1TA.jpg

rWlxsQB.jpg

It is called "Serendipity Bridge" and is made up of 3 segments: two 8 x 2 tile "ramps" and a long (36 x 2 tiles) main bridge. If you want to read more about the community project, please check this thread:
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/124030-community-bridge-project-in-southeast-deliverance.

• Like 11

i wish we could do arched bridges with with just the 10 dirt above water ramps, maybe with a length minimum so the bridge can go high enough. That's what i originally wanted, I settled for using buildings because I don't like the huge dirt ramps, I think it looks pretty good anyway, just not my ideal.

No highway there, it replaced a land bridge that used to be there, goes to a clay island.

I would not be overly concerned about the buildings. So far there has not been any problems with the bridge I constructed that uses two buildings as piers connecting three sections. The bridge is used several times daily. The only issue was one where mobs entered arched walls and could not be moved. Killing them took care of that. Great looking wooden bridge btw. 

A very good thing about using buildings is that when you want to remove or remake the bridge all you have to do is delete the writs for the buildings and the bridge is gone in an instant. 

Edited by Sarcaticous

rWlxsQB.jpg

my lower jaw dropped to desk ... that is something ... majestic

what masonry skill was used there to plan such giant engineering wonder?

• Like 1

my lower jaw dropped to desk ... that is something ... majestic

what masonry skill was used there to plan such giant engineering wonder?

97 masonry, 91ql dioptra, 91ql range pole.

• Like 2

I would not be overly concerned about the buildings. So far there has not been any problems with the bridge I constructed that uses two buildings as piers connecting three sections. The bridge is used several times daily.

A very good thing about using buildings is that when you want to remove or remake the bridge all you have to do is delete the writs for the buildings and the bridge is gone in an instant.

Buildings used for bridges off deed will decay. Worse yet they can only be repaired by those on the writ. Player neglects repairs or quits game and the whole connected bridge sections vanish when the buildings completely decay away. Something to keep in mind.

Also, I wonder if off deed bridges can be repaired by everyone. Recently there was some sort of ownership to them where you could not pickup items under them but this was changed. I am curious if this effects repairs. Easy enough to check I guess if near an off deed bridge.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Wonder how the Scar of Magranon folks feel knowing that all their surface mining up that mountain is easily replaced by a bridge. :(

Two more - I just have to share :)

IFydwub.jpg

i61An2g.jpg

• Like 1

Buildings used for bridges off deed will decay. Worse yet they can only be repaired by those on the writ. Player neglects repairs or quits game and the whole connected bridge sections vanish when the buildings completely decay away. Something to keep in mind.

Also, I wonder if off deed bridges can be repaired by everyone. Recently there was some sort of ownership to them where you could not pickup items under them but this was changed. I am curious if this effects repairs. Easy enough to check I guess if near an off deed bridge.

=Ayes=

On the bridge built by Sarcaticous/MacGregor the bridge is ql 53.469723 and decay is .7501974 while the building supporting it is ql 75.52861 and decay is .51759714. The building was made before the bridge, obviously. But considering the differences in quality and date of construction I would say that off deed bridges and off deed buildings decay at about the same rate.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: Only the bridge builder can repair it. I am in the same alliance as Sarcaticous/MacGregor and am also on the friends list. I CANNOT repair the bridge. My premium has expired. Maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps someone with a premium account could test this?

• Like 1

Wonder how the Scar of Magranon folks feel knowing that all their surface mining up that mountain is easily replaced by a bridge. :(

I haven't done any bridges at all. I suspect "easily" however if not one of the words that pop to mind for people that have done bridges ....

MORE IMPORTANTLY: Only the bridge builder can repair it. I am in the same alliance as Sarcaticous/MacGregor and am also on the friends list. I CANNOT repair the bridge. My premium has expired. Maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps someone with a premium account could test this?

This is probably REALLY important to get answered. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Anyone can repair / improve a bridge

• Like 2

Anyone can repair / improve a bridge

Provided they have the necessary skill?

Do you need to hold an activated repair item, like a house wall, or just rightclick/repair  like a guard tower?

(House walls give no repair option unless you are holding the correct item, so this may have been the issue)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Like a house with the item activated. I didn't get a repair option this a.m. Now I do.  :blink:

So like he said, anyone can repair it. 

Edited by Clatius