Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

where have winters gone

I don't have the facts on that, but still doesn't matter when poof you are back in spring after only two days of winter. By that alone it is at least possible that the set date can be prematurely initiated, as is the case of these 'early' springs. Aside from texture changes, winter is the only season there is a true change in the world of wurm, being able to see better at night, see further through bare trees, find objects in the shorter sparse grasses etc. All other seasons are simply color changes of what is already there (trees still have leaves but they change green to yellow/orange colours etc). Winter at least brings a true change.

I am really having trouble understanding what you are talking about. It's still winter in game. If you don't have winter after a couple days you probably have the graphics glitch that makes it spring for a few tiles around you. It's STILL winter in game dude. 

• Like 1

Hate the winters, wish they would last one day. Even better, let us pick if we see winter, like turn it on and off at will. Weeeee!

I love the winters, make me think of my childhood in Lappland.
Specially the birches with the frost on their branches!

myraML-413.jpg

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 1

Maybe more "winter only" activities too -- skiing and dog sled racing (maybe sheep sled racing since people don't have a lot of dogs, plus you would not have to tame each one to hitch)

Riding DOWNHILL on our shields with reduced fall damage in the snow

tumblr_lciiudySgg1qzr4zco1_r1_500.gif

Maybe they can find a compromise with  the winter graphics grinches   to make textures more "bearable" for a week long season (I am fine with the current textures but I know from years of debate, this is a pretty divided issue).

Imagine if we  could TRACK mobs in the snow =oO

Also WHITE WINTER FUR drops only in winter season which is used for HOODED CAPES and fancy pants clothing. 

d105bc68502fe369e4692f341b35ff74.jpg314px-Ermine_court_fur_coat_1900.jpg

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 6

Fall is the ugliest season... the ground texture has to go...

• Like 3

myraML-413.jpg

If the GLARING SUPER SUPER SUPER SHINY WHITE could be given some blue-ish tinge like in that picture would be tolerable.

• Like 1

+1 i want winters longer as well i recall a long time ago they were longer and i think even heavier snow falls

• Like 1

It is a pity that winter is gone so fast every time.

I don't like summer and still have to live with it... ingame as well as irl btw.

Would so not-a-problem to give the players different season-settings.

If i got winter for 4 weeks and another player got summer in that time, my winter would affect the other player exactly zero.

But uuuuuhhhh imbalances pvp i guess.

Only fair solution would be 1 or 2 weeks / the same time for each season.

Edited by Oldwolf
  • Like 1

First, bridges yea! Second, stairs a bigger yea! Third winter is here as of last night. I love the winters, excellent for exploring and hunting. Now I take notice an update is going to happen, and that is great, but after an update the seasons change.

Past few winters only lasted a very few days. I used to take the winter season as a set time to travel to my old server and do some hunting. Sadly by the time I pack up, head out, leave Xanadu and arrive at Celebration; I end up only having a day of hunting then wakeup to spring.

What is up with two weeks of fall then one day winters? Rolf are you some environmentalist bent on making global warming more important than keeping the lights on?

You know, i've come to notice this myself.  almost every time winter rolls around, there are reasons to restart the server and winter gets an extremely short shelf life.  I find it beautiful and wish it would last longer, it is as doomed as the Hope Diamond!!.  That said many have a hard time seeing in the winter graphics.   It is especially difficult in pvp on fast horses and blinding.  I love to light the forge inside my cave when it's winter and bunker in there.

• Like 1

myraML-413.jpg

I had a friend I played another MMO with who lived in Lappland.  The pictures were always inspiring for the nature lover in me.  Looked like one of the most amazing places to x country ski as a winter alternative to my summer marathon training.

• Like 1

It's one of those personal aesthetics so doubt this will ever get agreed upon but personally I adore the winter, and hate the fall. Said before perhaps an option to disable winter if you hate it so? Make it normal length otherwise, win/win.

That is a very shiny picture I posted there :D

I personally don't mind the shortened Winters in Wurm. Granted it is pretty, and makes spotting animals on the steppes easier. But I get enough REAL snow and cold living here in Upstate NY to last a whole year!  :P

Edited by Araninke
  • Like 1

I personally don't mind the shortened Winters in Wurm. Granted it is pretty, and makes spotting animals on the steppes easier. But I get enough REAL snow and cold living here in Upstate NY to last a whole year!  :P

Living in the Northern Plains of the U.S. I have to agree with this. Although I must admit that when the summer becomes hot and insufferable the winter landscape of WURM can give one a sense of comfort. 

On the other hand, to make winters as long as in RL? Only if it's a Florida winter.  ;)

Winters are short for a good reason. A lot of people don't' like it and all the past complaints should be proof of this. 

Letting us override the standard season cycle with, say summer, isn't going to hurt anyone. The only people put off are those how seem to think its okay to impose their personal desires on other players. I'm very confident a season override option would improve moral. Don't like season xyz? Use your settings to display whatever you want to see.

Just trying to explain to you that what you want is not necessarily what everyone else wants. Having everyone playing in different environments is not what I would like in a game, so I am very happy that this is not going to happen, thanks devs  :)

Edited by Lightonfoot

I personally think winter graphics sucks; really hard on the eyes.

What should happen IMO is when a new server is released it should have static climate zones - for example areas near deserts would constantly look like fall/autum, and areas above a certain elevation would have snow (ie all of the mountains would be snow capped) - then you could make areas near lakes very green.

That way people could live in an area that suited their tastes the most and it would make the map feel more diverse; you could also potentially add a few regional items in the game to encourage people to travel around into the various zones to gather them (nothing too necessary or it would just be annoying thou)

Xanadu was a good chance to implement such a system but ahwel ;)

Season override option +1.

Someone from staff-guys, please tell us, is such a thing possible at all ? Would be amazing. To make it a bit more realistic, it could be designed not like ON and OFF, but with a delay of 1 rl day. So when i have summer and want to switch to winterskin, it would take 24 hours. 

This way i couldn't exploit the feature.

I think the way to handle the override would be to have a full-length (in-game-time, not IRL) winter, but allow players to turn off the snow effect if they want, rather than an anytime season switch. 

I /love/ the idea of biomes. Given what I've seen, though, (and admittedly, I haven't seen much), I'm not sure the tech is there for that. 

I think it is fine as it is now.

An ugly winter now and then makes us appriciate the other seasons so much more :)

• Like 1

im happy its gone until a better texture is implemented, its literally solid white and its super glare

i actually don't log in at all during winter.

im happy its gone until a better texture is implemented, its literally solid white and its super glare

i actually don't log in at all during winter.

The Propheteer is known to hibernate through the long winter starfalls, after building an extensive layer of fat. It especially loves berries.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1